Over-watering - What about this!

jojocool555

I've always gained knowledge from 420Mag n now i think i can give a little back (at least for the novice grower) with a simple but very effective 'trick'. i discovered this when transplanting seedlings to next size up, pots . i filled my big new pot, up with compost up to the brim as usual,banged it lightly a couple of times,refilled up to brim if necessary again.then depressed a same size pot and removed,this left a perfect hole in which to drop my seedling in (learned this from a great lady grower off utube,shit bad respect cant remember her name-sorry 'great lady,).anyway once you have dropped your seedling in,give the pot another slight taps,this makes sure that the soil is nicely condensed,to loose and the roots might dry out to quickly under heat of lights n to compact n air and root growth will be damaged refill if necessary.Notice iv not 'patted down' seeding at all in their biger pot. NOW at last-overwatering problem. when your seedling is comfortable in new pot, use your index finger and push as deep in to the soil between the plug and new soil,without damaged roots. my plants are a week on,and i use the finger indentation to check moisture of soil (if you water from top of pot with to heavy a flow of water the soil will compact,which is not good for plant and you will loose your finger indent.i always try to water from bottom, which also encourages root growth-obviously i stick me finger in the hole......but i find it wonderful, because you can feel the temp of the soil (great if i think the soil is to cold in early leaf grow for the roots), how moist,how much air in soil -my first grow the soil ended up a bit like concrete,which i instinctively new was not good roots.no more space ? back to me hookah....again hee hee

Re: Over-watering. What about this!

very simple, personally i like the Popsicle stick, the medium if damp will stick to it and when you wipe it of you can feel the moisture content. i just make a mark of 2 inches and off we go. Finger is great too.

A moisture meter is less than $10. Then you know for sure.

meters/sticks/fingers will eventually learn u how to read ur plants... thats the point i'm trying to get to.
Consideration has to b given to the type of medium a person would feel comfortable building/maintaining throughout the plants short life. if ur topsoil is looking compacted, go ahead n grab a pencil or the like, & start stabbing @it-- aerate it like they do on the greens @ golf courses n make sure to hit the bottom of the pot f ur mix/medium is that tight

Back
Top Bottom