About pot sizes

snicrep

I'm getting ready to start my 1st grow soon and I've decided to start with indoor in soil. I've read on here that some get seedlings started, then move to gradually larger and larger pots. I plan (after germination) placing then in jiffy pots then to 5 gallon, where they will live out their lives. Seems like a good idea to disturb them as little as possible. I'm only starting with 2 in a concealed space.
Additional data: chocolate skunk, female, Auto flower.
LED light, foxfarm soil with 20 percent perlite.
Thanks

hello , 5 gallon pots are great for a auto`s and 1 plant per pot and no nutes for the 1 St month that soil has plenty in it and make the perlite 30 % as that soil is very strong for very young plants and only water when the top 2 inches of pot are dry (watch the leaves when they just start to droop then water) and ph the water to 6.2-6.3 only for soil good luck !!:)

Thanks for the quick reply. what would you recommend as far as how many pot sizes? I want to finish in the 5 gallon.

hello , 5 gallon pots are great for a auto`s and 1 plant per pot and no nutes for the 1 St month that soil has plenty in it and make the perlite 30 % as that soil is very strong for very young plants and only water when the top 2 inches of pot are dry (watch the leaves when they just start to droop then water) and ph the water to 6.2-6.3 only for soil good luck !!:)
Awesome info. That's the detail I needed. I realize this is will be a learning experience. But I've learned SO much by researching with everyone's experience s.

Hello , I don't up pot but I know when and when not to water , a lot of 1st time growers do up pot as it is very easy to over water in a 5 gallon pot ,depends on your skill level , start in a 1 gallon pot and then you can move to the 5 gallon , let it grow a good root ball in the smaller pot (about a month )at the most .

Awesome info. That's the detail I needed. I realize this is will be a learning experience. But I've learned SO much by researching with everyone's experience s.
Noted. BTW there are so many choices, strains, indica vs sativa, etc. I almost purchased a single hydro unit from general hydroponics about 55 bucks, but I'll take it slowly (and cheap) with soil for my 1st.

I use a 6oz foam cup and give about 1.5-2cups of water in a circular motion about 1 inch away from the stalk , you want the roots to hunt a little for the moisture , work for it , this causes lateral root grow and is what will hold the plant up .

Noted. BTW there are so many choices, strains, indica vs sativa, etc. I almost purchased a single hydro unit from general hydroponics about 55 bucks, but I'll take it slowly (and cheap) with soil for my 1st.
Just so you know growing in coco and perlite is the easiest method of growing , it reacts to a problem a lot quicker as it is watered every day so if you have a problem you can usually have it fixed in less than 48 hrs where as with soil if you have a problem you have to wait till the next watering (4-5 days )or you risk over watering now you have 2 or more problems , I recommend indica`s for tent , closet grows and for 1st time growers as the stay a lot smaller and tend to be a little more forgiving .plus you can't over water coco , you just wind up wasting nutes .

I've been finding Coco only in mats, by the ft. Is spagnum moss usable? Is Coco shredded and mixed in and at what ratio.

what do you mean by mats ? sphagnum moss is a no go , coco usually comes buffered but if not you can buffer it yourself , I grow in cloth pots and before I grow in them I add my coco and perlite mix and the give it just plain ph (5.8 ) water a couple of times , let it drain between each of these watering .this all can be done in less than a hour . moss will slowly rot over time and the ph will be fluctuating to much , coco doesn't rot any where near as fast as moss , to me moss is a soil additive , it doesn't matter how you buy your coco as long as it has been buffered.it comes loose in bags in large bricks it doesn't matter .it should say on the packaging if it is buffered or not , even if it is I still always do my own buffering thing just to be safe .

Like someone mentioned most repotting causes very little stress to a plant. For the same reasons as above I like to repot twice during the grow. Small cup to 1 gallon to 3 gallon. This helps them build a better root ball.

With autos this changes some. Even a day or 2 of slow growth can affect the outcome. Might be best to just do 1 repot with it.

The only Coco I can find locally is on a roll. About 1/4 in thick and 4 ft wide. It's $6 a foot. Looks like it can be pulled apart

Price sucks but you are better sticking with the Fox farm tell you get a few grows under your belt. Building good soil from scratch sounds easier than it really is. Best to get some experience growing first. If you had to in a pinch you could go with Miracle Grow soil for cheaper price.

The more you know about the plants themselves. The better you will be able to analyze how your homemade soil is doing.

Back
Top Bottom