Overnight Root Discoloration Bad or Okay?

Lost Forever

I have the sense that this is bad, but I have read of nutes and some additives turning roots different colors. Last time I checked on them was about mid day yesterday, the roots were white and good. This morning when I woke up and checked on my babies all the roots were discolored brown.

I did add a pinch of SuperThrive to the res when I last checked on them. (hardly any because I have been babying them because I nute burned a few of them).

I am also using BC Nutes, SM-90, and Subculture-B.

I just cleaned my res and all the parts 3 days ago because of an algae problem. Used h202 while cleaning it out and rinsed everything nice and clean.

The roots and the water smell fine.

Does anyone have any idea what this is?

BrownRoot1.jpg
BrownRoot2.jpg

Let me know if you need better pics of the roots, they were hard to take.

Plant133.jpg

And here is a pic of one of my plants. (I know they have some nute burn on them. Beginners mistake.)

cant tell for sure but im almost positive thats root rot,id cut sum of that shit off the roots(SOME) first 2 inches id say ,then dip the roots in a 25%h202 75% water an spray them down with water (spray bottle with a little h202)after that,clean the tank an everything then just watch them over the next cpl days,see if that helped,root rot is a pain in the ass.

Hmmm... I just dont know what would be causing root rot to spring up like that so quick (one night). Especially with all the cleaning and blacking out my container (which was just to make sure no more algae grew) which I did 2 days ago.

I was hoping it was something to do with the mix of nuts I was using.

I just read using both SM90 and Subculture-b is counterproductive because SM90 kills the good bacteria from the subculture-b. But still, with the SM90 in there I dont know how I would get root rot soo quick.

My temps, ph, and ppm are all right on. Ugh.

There are multiple types of root rot. It could even be slime algae.

How does the res smell? I know you said fine, but is there something similar it smells like? (lettuce, alfalfa, pond, etc)

What is the consistency of the material on the roots? Is there material on the roots, or are the roots themselves actually that color?

What are the temps like in your res?

What pump are you using for air? How many GPH does it put out?

It is hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like there is slime *ON* the roots, instead of the roots themselves sloughing off material.

Yea I just did a double check and there is definitely slime on the roots.

I would say it smells like alfalfa. It has a fresh plant smell to it. The water and the roots.
There is a physical material on the roots but the roots don't seem to be that color.

The temp in my res stays around 68-72.

I have two single airpumps for 2 airstones at 28gph.

That looks like some kind of bloom to me, if it happened so quickly. What is your water source? Are you using well water?

I think it is time to really give those roots a bath with h2o2. Pythium has very little odor. Could be a type or algal bloom, or even diatomaceous growth (brown slime).

Can you get a good close up pic of the base of the plant stalk?

If they were my plants, I would assume algae. ST is a hormone that can make plants go crazy. Including algae. If the roots are crisp, I can't imagine that this is pythium. Pythium or a few of the other rots would have made mush out of your roots by the time they looked like this.

Can you get some Hygrozyme in a timely manner? It kills algae *AND* pythium. Well, kills is the wrong word. It will eat up dead material starving out the materials needed for either to grow. Have you checked out the thread from roseman with the 8 step recovery?

Start there, then try to get some 'zymes in there. There are a few good choices.

I am sure I can. Will probably be able to get some by Monday. Is that soon enough?

Do you know how bad having algae like mine is?

And the look of my plants haven't changed at all. The good ones are green as can be and the ones i burnt are green and a little burnt.

And thanks a lot, I was dreading cutting all those roots without trying anything else.

One of the stickies posted above in this section has the 8 step remedy. It sounds like most of those steps are already taken care of. Time to kill off the nasties. Get some h2o2 in there and be prepared to get all the crap out that it kills off. It will destroy just about anything growing that you don't want, but it won't get it out of the res. You are going to need to drain and remedicate a few times, most likely. The good news is, although not cheap, hygrozyme will act as a great preventative to keep this from happening again in the future.

If your roots still feel crisp, I would not trim anything, yet.

I just ordered some hygrozyme and should have it in 2 days. Glad to know its probably not a bad case of plythium and that I don't need to cut the roots....yet.

Should I just wait till I get the hygrozyme to use it instead of h202?

Either way your advice is helpful and better then what I was going to do. Which was just to start chopping the covered roots, but since the roots arnt mushy I might have a chance.

Back
Top Bottom