Overnight Root Discoloration Bad or Okay?

Thanks. I def will. I think I am going to wait till the hygrozyme gets in, instead of starting with h202. The plants are looking fine, even a little better then before. I will update with pics once I get the hygrozyme in and start the treatment. Thanks for the help.

So I am getting the hygrozyme in tuesday. But the plants are looking good, just the roots still have that stuff all over them, and the water and roots still smell good. ::crossing fingers:: Will post after I start using the hygrozyme.

I did a rez change on sunday and just added the nutes and the subculture-b. The roots are looking great, most of the slim is gone and the roots are growing and almost back to being white.

I got the hygrozyme in but decided to wait to use it because it seemed the subculture-b is doing a good job. (my error was adding the B and the SM-90 together) Will take some pics today to show the difference.

Yea things are going well. The roots are growing really nice and most of the gunk is gone off of them. Here are some pics of the roots I took today when I drained and replenished my rez.

They are still a little discolored but everyday they are looking whiter.
P1140039.JPG
P1140036.JPG

And here is a pic of my plants.
P1140032.JPG

All root disease issues can be cured, or near cured, with proper res maintenance. Which means...

water temps around 68ish
1wt air pump per gallon of res
NO light reaching the water
NO organic material in the res EVER

The exception to this is something called brown slime algae, which it looks like you have. Brown slime loves oxygen, doesn't need light to make food, doesn't care about water temps, and laughs at h202. It's actually not an algae at all, but a cyanobacteria. This slime is not a concern in soil or even ebb and flow. It strikes DWC, and even then it's a somewhat rare problem. It's when you are doing everything right, sterilizing over and over, and the slime keeps coming back stronger, that you should suspect brown slime algae. If you do have this type of slime, enzyme products will cause it to explode.

If you decide to go the chemical warfare route(sterilization), you will be killing all microbes in your res BUT this slime, effectively clearing the playing field and giving it a nice empty home to live in.

The way to fend off this slime is simple, add beneficial microbes to displace, starve and attack harmful ones. You are on the right track with sub-b, sub-m will do even better cos of the trichoderma fungi.

You can save tons of money and breed bennies yourself an EWC style tea. The sub-b+m are too expensive in my book. Go with ZHO powder, aquashield, and ancient forest EWC. You'll spend like $40 and easily have a 6 month supply. You can make the tea and keep it in the fridge for about 10 days. Add a few cups to your res every few days. DO NOT feed the bennies in the res; let them starve and die and just replace them with more tea.

Change the amounts to suit you. I start with 2 gal pure water. I add 15-30ml of aquashield, and half a scoop of ZHO. Then take an old sock, put 2 handfuls of ancient forest EWC in it and tie it off. Place it in water over an air stone. Bubble this brew at room temp for 48 hours, no more. Initially add 1 cup per gallon of res, and 1 cup total every few days after. This gives you a highly active and greatly diverse army of bennies that will outgrow the slime.

EDIT: I made a more in depth post here

Back
Top Bottom