Packing Peanuts?

sonorajeep

An old timer told me to use packing peanuts instead of perilite to save money and its supposed to hold water better.You crumble them up of course. Anyone heard of this? I already transplanted two plants into bigger pots with the packing peanut mixture.:hmmmm:

If you are going to use packing peanuts, be sure to use the environmentally destructive Styrofoam ones.

If you use the bio-degradable ones made from vegetable starch, they will dissolve the first time they get wet.

An old timer told me to use packing peanuts instead of perilite to save money

Around here 4-cubic foot bags of perlite go for ~$13. If you mix it into your soil at the rate of 30% it gives you 100 gallons. IOW, $13 worth of perlite is enough for 20 5-gallon buckets. Well, more than that since people often leave an inch or so unfilled. Do you grow a LOT?:)

and its supposed to hold water better.You crumble them up of course.

That part makes sense, because perlite isn't for holding water - it's for promoting drainage. (Which is good because cannabis likes well-drained soil.)

I usually grow outside, but this is my first inside grow. I live pretty far from a big town, more than an hour away, so if I forget to buy something then I gotta get creative or order it online and wait. Thats why I have alot of packing peanuts because I forget alot.:rollit:

I do like the recycling aspect.

I usually grow outside, but this is my first inside grow. I live pretty far from a big town, more than an hour away, so if I forget to buy something then I gotta get creative or order it online and wait. Thats why I have alot of packing peanuts because I forget alot.:rollit:

And you forget alot because.......:cool:

LOL

I use to do this. What I did with the soil was compost it. It became a hassle to get all the peanuts out of the soil. I now just use the peanuts on the bottom of my pots so I can get them out easier. I use cat litter now just the basic stuff with no additives. works gr8 for me so far.

Back
Top Bottom