Transplanting a clone & small heater on a timer - questions

CannabisMeds

Ok, I have two quick questions.

First, I have this Blue Cheese clone that I transplanted into medium quality soil about a week ago. I have a much better soil mixture now and I am wishing that I put the clone into this mix instead. It seems to be growing alright, but the soil is a bit clumpy and doesn't drain as well as my new mix.

How much would a root system expand in the course of a single week, and would I be foolish to try and replant it already in better soil, or should I just let it ride? I don't want to shock it or kill it. ( I would want to remove about half of the bad soil and put it back into the same pot, with the new soil mixture )

Second, I had to purchase a small fan heater for the grow closet. The thermostat on it sucks, and I want to put it on a timer. I purchased a timer and in the instructions, it says "Fan heaters should not be connected to timers"! haha. Figures. Should I worry about this? Are they just covering there butt or is there really a legit reason why a fan heater shouldn't be connected via the timer? I'm only using the heater on 750watt setting and the timer is rated up to 1800watt. Any thoughts on this? I don't want to burn the place down!

Thanks for any feedback.

Hello CM

The clone if healthy can be transplanted anytime and if it was cloned with water or a sprayer and it has just been planted you may be able to wash off most of the existing soil. Use cold ph balanced water.

DO NOT plug your heater into a timer they are not rated for that kind of pull and will heat up and fail or worse will cause the fire you worry about.

Hey Buckshot, thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to get a special timer then, or something.

I will try what you've suggested with the clone. I think she will be much happier if I can get her safely into a new soil mixture.

BTW, I just happened to be checking out your massive journal thread ( over the past couple of nights ), perpetual LED soil, and wow, you've got some mad skills and some really beautiful plants there. ( I'm only on page 41 of 211 so far! )

Hey Buckshot, thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to get a special timer then, or something.

I will try what you've suggested with the clone. I think she will be much happier if I can get her safely into a new soil mixture.

BTW, I just happened to be checking out your massive journal thread ( over the past couple of nights ), perpetual LED soil, and wow, you've got some mad skills and some really beautiful plants there. ( I'm only on page 41 of 211 so far! )

Holy Cow!! Skip to the end :cheesygrinsmiley: ... and thanks for checking it out!

Heaters are tricky... why will the heater be on a timer? I assume there is a thermostat on the heater so it will kick on and off and the fan should go 24/7 anyhow.

Well, this was a quick fix for the cold nights, so I just purchased a cheap fan type heater. Turns out the heater thermostat doesn't work very well and it was causing some major temp fluctuations. Also, the fan is noisy on that little sucker and there is a bedroom on the other side of the grow closet area.

I have a 150 watt HPS that I am going to mount again and run that for a while and see what the temps are like with both that and the LED running. I don't need that much light for the one plant I have atm, but it might be cheaper and more effective to heat the space with that light than to have this heater going on and off every hour. If it works, then I can happily return that cheapo heater. If it does work, I might have to switch to a longer light cycle though. This plan will only work for the veg cycle, however. I'm sure I'll need night heat during flowering.

Ha, I am tempted to skip to the end, but there's so many great pictures to be had in the middle!

Funny you should say heat with light, you will come to my first winter where I am now when I purchased a couple 400 watt sets to... heat with light :3 I run veg during the day and bloom at night (two enclosures same room) to keep the heat up in the room 24/7

Fair enough on the journal :cheesygrinsmiley: Thanks again for looking

Back
Top Bottom