Pain Led Woman To Grow Cannabis

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
A MULTIPLE sclerosis sufferer is calling for a change in the law after being convicted of growing cannabis.

Karin Grevis cultivated the drug at her home at Rampton Drift, Longstanton, for three years to use as pain relief before being caught by police after a burglary at her home.

The 43-year-old said taking the drug helped her cope with chronic pain after prescribed medicines failed to make a difference to her neurological condition.

She said her pain and spasms had worsened since police raided her home and confiscated her cannabis equipment in February.

The freelance translator said she did not deal the drug and only grew it for its health benefits.

She told the News: "It would be nice if the Government would legalise cannabis. I feel I have been punished in life with MS and now I have been punished by the police.

"I have not sold it to anybody and have not done anyone any harm."

The divorcee, who has a 20-year-old daughter and is a grandmother, admitted cultivating more than 100 plants and possession of the drug when she appeared before Cambridge magistrates yesterday (Monday, 21 May). She was conditionally discharged for 18 months.

Chris Bentley, spokesman for the MS Society, said the charity did not support or recommend the use of illegal drugs to combat pain.

He said: "The MS Society is continuing to invest hundreds of thousands of pounds into vital research studying cannabis-derived medicines and their effects. We hope that results over the next few years will give us a better picture of how cannabis extracts can help people affected by MS."

But Marcus Davies, of St Ives, who was convicted of conspiracy to supply cannabis after helping to distribute around 20,000 CannaBiz bars for medicinal purposes, said the Government needed to hurry up and legalise the medicinal properties of the drug.

He said: "There is a product to help those people with MS that is cannabis-based. Unfortunately it is not legal but God willing it will become legal relatively soon."

Ms Grevis said she would like to keep using cannabis but did not want to risk a large fine or a custodial sentence.

She said: "If I want it I will have to go in the street with criminals.

"My consultant said I could live until I'm 80 or 90. The law gives me a bleak future."

News Hawk- User 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Cambridge Evening News
Copyright: 2007, Illiffe News & Media
Website: CEN News : City Edition : Pain led woman to grow cannabis

Back
Top Bottom