Percentage of germinated that become actual plants?

johnybologna

420 Member
Quick question from a beginning grower:
I've germinated 11 seeds successfully in warm water, but after putting them in the ground only 6 became actual plants (Durban Prison). My previous round was the same story: 12/12 germinated, but only 6 became plants (White Widdow). Is this percentage normal? How can I raise it? I'm growing under LEDs, in pure compost (no other fertilizer than compost added), planted germinated seedlings very superficial with the root down (as much as possible). Oh, and I presoaked the seeds for 24 hours. Where I live the humidity is between 70-80%.

Compost is hot (heavy nutrients) soil for starting seeds. Try a lighter medium like Pro-mix (peat moss) or 80% coco with 20% of your compost. Also, make sure the compost has plenty of perlite or vermiculite (and preferably some coco) to make it better aerated and able to hold water. You'll get better root growth and healthier plants.

And nobody gets 100% germination! I'd say it averages around 80%...:)

Compost is hot (heavy nutrients) soil for starting seeds. Try a lighter medium like Pro-mix (peat moss) or 80% coco with 20% of your compost. Also, make sure the compost has plenty of perlite or vermiculite (and preferably some coco) to make it better aerated and able to hold water. You'll get better root growth and healthier plants.

And nobody gets 100% germination! I'd say it averages around 80%...:)

Great answer! Thanks Blew :)

Back
Top Bottom