Perlite/Growstone for Hempys?

Never heard of growstones before so i done a quick google on the product...

Copy 'n' paste job

Growstones Hydroponic Growth Mediums and Soil Aerators Deliver Superior Air and Water Retention for Superior Plants.

Growstones are a horticultural, scientific and environmental win-win-win. They are a breakthrough substrate environmentally engineered from 100% recycled glass. Never strip-mined or shipped long distances like perlite or Hydroton they help create happier plants and a healthier planet.

Growstones are highly porous, chemical and toxin-free hydroponic growth mediums and soil aerators engineered to deliver superior air and water retention ratios for superior plants. They can be customized to fit a wide range of plants and climates as well as different growing systems.

While other substrates maximize either aeration or moisture, Growstones are designed to maintain the proper air and water balance in the roots without the danger of overwatering.

Growstones deliver higher oxygenation of roots than rockwool as well as better water retention than perlite making them a superior substrate without the environmental issues of other available products.

Their lightweight, dust-free composition make them easy to use and their results make them easy to love. Growstones make everything better. Your plants and our planet.

I was just reviewing a hempy style grow the other night & was not to sure about the use of perlite/vermiculite as its not very stable for holding/supporting large plants...

Found some hempy grows using hydroton clay pebbles with good results...

Those growstones seems to be a replacement for perlite & could be used alone.

Just been reading some other stuff quickly about growstones...

Mainly about the porus nature of the stones & all those little holes being some what difficult to remove fine roots from... for reuse of the product, personally i don't see that as to much of a problem if you are using a hydrozyme, powerzyme products which help break down dead root matter...

I only come across some growstone info on other MJ forums tho & mainly enqueries about the product...

Some people thought it was to expensive compared to perlite but i liked it because it had 0% dust & greater aeration, capillary action than both coco coir & perlite...

Journal not complete involves growstones - Slye's First Discreet Closet Soil Grow 2012

Proving difficult to find stuff on it here at 420 !

Hey Fuzzy,I had not seen that site before,Thank you.I thought price would turn people away from it to.Its about 15$ a cu ft,but I got some from a buddy awhile ago ,who has a bag and not using it.Ill give 1 a try as a little side project.If anyone has any interest in growstones please fill free to join me and well try it together.Heres what I can do for us.I will bring straight from cloner to 2l of GS,give her solid lighting(600w proubly 12/12 or GLR?),food(GH Floro 3 part with some additives),clean water(ph'ed)and a fresh air enviorment(closet with 6in exhaust fan).I should have her ready in a bout a week or so.If anyone has any suggestions fill free.here are some pics of what were working with.Will be adding floralicious plus to nute line also.
005974.JPG
0031110.JPG
0011168.JPG

So here she is.Hempy with growstones only up to drain hole and then about 60% GS and 40% perlite.(Thanks FuzzyDuck)The strain is Barneys Vanilla kush. I Will keep this thread updated and we will see what happens.I think it will grow.I dont think it will grow any different then perlite/verm mix.I will say they are a little tougher to pot.
0041037.JPG
005982.JPG
007802.JPG
006849.JPG

Well it's almost 2 weeks and its not the healthiest but,it is growing.Her present condition is my fault and I will hopefully nurse her back.I did notice that it always fells like I just watered it, and it still keeps taken about the same amount to water as your basic hempy.She has been a little neglected so I cant blame GS on her size and looks.
0011185.JPG
I did not notice the roots showing at stem until toady when pic was shot.
0021192.JPG
0031128.JPG

The pale green growing tips is reasonable normal which can be seen on most peoples grows...

It could also mean a slight PH problem to which i'm a little unsure off when regarding inert growing mediums ?

As grow stones are reasonable new on the market i'm not to sure if they require PH buffering before use ! like hydroton clay pebbles do before you use em for growing & every grow !

May mean a pre soak prior to use...

Better capiliary action than perlite AND coco ? Not questioning you , just hard to imagine , I need to research these stones.

Thanks for the info.

I only come across some growstone info on other MJ forums tho & mainly enqueries about the product...

Some people thought it was to expensive compared to perlite but i liked it because it had 0% dust & greater aeration, capillary action than both coco coir & perlite...

Journal not complete involves growstones - Slye's First Discreet Closet Soil Grow 2012

Proving difficult to find stuff on it here at 420 !

Better capiliary action than perlite AND coco ? Not questioning you , just hard to imagine , I need to research these stones.

Thanks for the info.

I'm in the same boat, those fat stones look shitty as a medium, chunky lol. Ops testing has just begun but your clones don't look toooo bad. As suggested might be some ph issue. I'd imagine those two mixed up has some weird affect on ph. I like hydroton simply becuase it wicks and is small. I hate the damn dust. Looking for something better so I'm subbed!

Grodan gro cubes (mini Rockwell) looks legit. hydroton isn't being produced anymore..

Back
Top Bottom