Hempy Buckets - Size of Perlite?

slimm

The local hydro guy is selling Mother Earth #4 Perlite. These are really large chunks. I am wondering if this larger perlite would be desirable for use in hempy buckets, if not what is the best size to use?

The local hydro guy is selling Mother Earth #4 Perlite. These are really large chunks. I am wondering if this larger perlite would be desirable for use in hempy buckets, if not what is the best size to use?

too big. I would mix some small 3mm and med 7-10mm.....I do not know the grading sizes...hope that helps you a lil

I just found this chart and it that number 4 is = to 4-5mm your good.
I can't get a decent format on the chart so there are 4 numbers 3, .265, 6730, 6.73
Conversion Table
U.S. Mesh Inches Microns MM
3 .265 6730 6.73
4 .187 4760 4.76
5 .157 4000 4.00
6 .132 3360 3.36
7 .111 2830 2.83
8 .0937 2380 2.38
10 .0787 2000 2.00
12 .0661 1680 1.68
14 .0555 1410 1.41

I'm not sure this chart is correct. #4 has chunks that are 1/2" to 1" in size.

thats what I thought but thats beside the point. you need smaller perlite and I would mix it up with at least 2 sizes

Ok so the chart is junk, so much for that bing search. Yeah I agree with PitViper in the smaller size. I threw some one gallon hempy's together two weeks ago, and wow getting some good growth. What a great simple idea hempy had.

#4 will work.

I've used Hydrofarm's chunky perlite, which is a rather uniform product with each piece of perlite about the size of a lentil.

This time I'm using "Coarse Horticultural Perlite" which has larger chunks amongs the smaller ones. It also works fine. The larger chunks are about the size of a lima bean. Mostly, the product is about the size of a lentil.

I wouldn't worry about it, but I do recommend you add vermiculite in a 4:1 perlite/vermiculite ratio.

If you do that, you'll find that you have to water less often and the plant won't suffer as much when the roots are seeking the bottom. The vermiculite wicks water a little better.

I'm going to go with coco coir. Vermiculite is not one of my favorite substance to work with.

Well now that I have a little experience with this I can say, with perlite, the bigger the better.

Back
Top Bottom