Ph, during two week flush b4 harvest?

voltron

Hello 420. I have pondered over this for the last few days and need to bring it before the community for discussion. I would like to know is it really important to worry much about the ph of the water in a dwc or any medium for that matter, while you are doing your final flush before the harvest?

I ask this do to the fact that if the plant is supposed to use the remaining nutes that it has stored in it, how can an improperly balanced ph effect nute lockout in fresh water with no nutes in it? Hmmm, (Unless the micro nutes are being drastically effected) will the imbalance effect the way in which the plant is able to use the nutes that the roots have already collected? Anyone with more knowledge as to how our plants work in this manner please respond. And anyone that may have an opinion on this please respond. I find it hard to go away from balancing the ph while I have been topping my res, but it's time for a res change, and maybe its me just being lazy or my stoned creative side smoking up due to me not running across this in all my research. That tells me that more research is of course always needed. So won't you guys/gals join/help me with my endeavors. Much respect and appreciation as always. BTW Day 52 of flowering my first girl, I'm soooo excited, and I just can't hide it... oh that's an old song. LOL. :tokin:

There are a variety of reasons to maintain good pH levels all the time. Even when flushing. I also add a little magnesium because of my water.

Prairie

Thanks Prairie. I figured as much, doesn't hurt to keep your girl going with what she is used to. I am trying to see if I can get my photos resized to post some pics of my grow. I have been questioning whether or not I should be flushing do to the fact that the hairs or trichomes are kinda white with somewhat clear edges. I was afraid she was more sativa and may need more time. But I'll work it out. Thanks again Prairie, you're always on time with sound advice.

Ignore the hairs and get a microscope to see the trincomes clearly. That is really the only to know when to harvest.

Sounds like you are doing good.

Prairie

Cool, Prairie do you think a 30x eye loupe will give me any justice. I like the real deal microscope you have and have read about the radio shack version.
That will have to wait until next year though. Thanks for your pics, they are showing me what to look for. When the lights are on tonight I will quickly check out the trics, I have recently noticed that they are abundant around the base of the buds and throughout. I can't wait to check them out. Thanks again as always for your assistance and encouragement. :thumb:

Cool, Prairie do you think a 30x eye loupe will give me any justice. I like the real deal microscope you have and have read about the radio shack version.

I think you can do it with a 30X, if you have eyes better than mine. :) But I can't find the post that mentions it. Might need 40X. I'd say if you can clearly see the tricomes, and can tell clear from cloudy, you would be fine.

I love this USB one I have it goes to 100X. Found it online somewhere for around $59US. Celestron 44302 Handheld Digital Microscope - Digital Microscopes at Simply Microscopes

Hey Vol... I'm just trying to pass on the karma. I've had lots of help here, so I feel it works if I try to help where I can.

Prairie

I think you can do it with a 30X, if you have eyes better than mine. :) But I can't find the post that mentions it. Might need 40X. I'd say if you can clearly see the tricomes, and can tell clear from cloudy, you would be fine.

I love this USB one I have it goes to 100X. Found it online somewhere for around $59US. Celestron 44302 Handheld Digital Microscope - Digital Microscopes at Simply Microscopes

Hey Vol... I'm just trying to pass on the karma. I've had lots of help here, so I feel it works if I try to help where I can.

Prairie

Prairie, I checked them out tonight and they look clear to me. I'm concerned due to me starting my flush a week ago. I also ran out of boost nutes and only have OC+ that I use in the hempy. So, I hope this doesn't mess up my harvest if I decide to let her go another week past the two without nutes until I began to see some amber trichs. Will this delay ripeness at all? I'm sure I have effected my potency by flushing too soon. Thanks for the link on the scopes, I will check them out later.

And with karma I'm with you, I look to also try to help others as I grow in experience and knowledge. So thank you for doing your part. :blunt:

I think you have a couple of options here - either harvest a bit early (since you are currently starving them and they can't be starved forever). Or - if they are a week or two from being ready start feeding them again. Look, a lot of people are big believers in pre-harvest flushing, and I usually flush prior to harvest as well. However, it's not nearly as big of deal as many would have you believe. If you poke around enough on this site you'll find very experienced growers that do not flush prior to harvest - ever. I've done it both ways, and honestly I'm not sure I notice much if any difference. If it were me (and I've been where you are with this) I'd start feeding again and wait until they are really ready. As far as PH goes, flush or no flush it's good to keep it in check - just a lot more work with low/no nutes as PH fluctuates crazily in low nute situations. Hope this helps!

I think you have a couple of options here - either harvest a bit early (since you are currently starving them and they can't be starved forever). Or - if they are a week or two from being ready start feeding them again. Look, a lot of people are big believers in pre-harvest flushing, and I usually flush prior to harvest as well. However, it's not nearly as big of deal as many would have you believe. If you poke around enough on this site you'll find very experienced growers that do not flush prior to harvest - ever. I've done it both ways, and honestly I'm not sure I notice much if any difference. If it were me (and I've been where you are with this) I'd start feeding again and wait until they are really ready. As far as PH goes, flush or no flush it's good to keep it in check - just a lot more work with low/no nutes as PH fluctuates crazily in low nute situations. Hope this helps!

Xlr8, I have noticed that there is some dividing thoughts as to the two week flush. I seem to have run into more post of people flushing over not flushing. I was wondering if my girl would be ok for three weeks w/o nutes, sounds like it would be better to put her on for a week then to let her go so long with out. The only problem is I do not plan on growing with liquid nutes for my next two grows and already did my shopping, so unless my girl can use OC+ in the dwc LOL, she may have to come out this weekend, which maybe at least a week early. I will keep checking those trichs though. And maybe if she's still clear this weekend that will push me to pony up for more liquid nutes. I sure would love to let her amber up nicely before pulling her. Thanks for the advice Xlr8, I will let you know how it goes. :morenutes::morenutes::morenutes: I think she will be screaming this come Friday night. lol.

Prairie

Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered that microscope on amazon for $46. Score!

Xlr8, I have noticed that there is some dividing thoughts as to the two week flush. I seem to have run into more post of people flushing over not flushing. I was wondering if my girl would be ok for three weeks w/o nutes, sounds like it would be better to put her on for a week then to let her go so long with out. The only problem is I do not plan on growing with liquid nutes for my next two grows and already did my shopping, so unless my girl can use OC+ in the dwc LOL, she may have to come out this weekend, which maybe at least a week early. I will keep checking those trichs though. And maybe if she's still clear this weekend that will push me to pony up for more liquid nutes. I sure would love to let her amber up nicely before pulling her. Thanks for the advice Xlr8, I will let you know how it goes. :morenutes::morenutes::morenutes: I think she will be screaming this come Friday night. lol.

There are definitely different viewpoints. I still flush, but had the same problem you have during my last grow, and had to reintroduce nutes last week and a half with no final flush. I can honestly say I didn't notice much (if any) difference and my harvest still tasted oh so yummy delicious. Not worth sweating over - but I see your challenge with not having more liquid nutes. Anyway - Let us know how it goes/(went)... Good luck and happy growing!

There are definitely different viewpoints. I still flush, but had the same problem you have during my last grow, and had to reintroduce nutes last week and a half with no final flush. I can honestly say I didn't notice much (if any) difference and my harvest still tasted oh so yummy delicious. Not worth sweating over - but I see your challenge with not having more liquid nutes. Anyway - Let us know how it goes/(went)... Good luck and happy growing!

Xlr8, I pulled her last Saturday night right b4 lights on. I hung from a string 8 cola's (maybe diet cola's would be more appropriate lol) They weighed in from avg of 2 ounces each wet and today they are all dry and weighed 1/2ounce each or just a lil under. I have little hard buds with orange/white hairs surrounding the inch long kernals. Although I would've let her go for at least 3 more weeks to see if she would've fatten and produced amber trichs had I had enough food, she still get's me and my lady a nice strong head high very lil body stone but some, no harsh smoke, and the lil buds have a strong sweet/funky smell and they are sticky. Late night smoking will put you to sleep with ease and you know you are smoking during the first three pulls. I am surprised of this, and it causes me to question a lot of other regular I've smoked. As far as smoking dro, my stuff isn't as potent unless you smoke more than one joint, but it was on its way. With a good nute schedule which this one lacked from the beginning due to no ppm tester, and healthier stronger roots in my res this would've totally knocked my socks off lol. I cant' wait to see how my hempy will turn out in the next couple weeks. I have to start a journal soon, I've received sooo much help I should start to share my mistakes and growth as this is what has helped me. Thanks for the advice guys. :smokin::yummy:

Xlr8, I pulled her last Saturday night right b4 lights on. I hung from a string 8 cola's (maybe diet cola's would be more appropriate lol) They weighed in from avg of 2 ounces each wet and today they are all dry and weighed 1/2ounce each or just a lil under. I have little hard buds with orange/white hairs surrounding the inch long kernals. Although I would've let her go for at least 3 more weeks to see if she would've fatten and produced amber trichs had I had enough food, she still get's me and my lady a nice strong head high very lil body stone but some, no harsh smoke, and the lil buds have a strong sweet/funky smell and they are sticky. Late night smoking will put you to sleep with ease and you know you are smoking during the first three pulls. I am surprised of this, and it causes me to question a lot of other regular I've smoked. As far as smoking dro, my stuff isn't as potent unless you smoke more than one joint, but it was on its way. With a good nute schedule which this one lacked from the beginning due to no ppm tester, and healthier stronger roots in my res this would've totally knocked my socks off lol. I cant' wait to see how my hempy will turn out in the next couple weeks. I have to start a journal soon, I've received sooo much help I should start to share my mistakes and growth as this is what has helped me. Thanks for the advice guys. :smokin::yummy:

Cool - anytime you have your own successful harvest - it's a damn fine day. Glad you were able to get some quality herb and it sounds like it was a great learning experience/exercise as well. I know that I've learned tons from everyone here, and every grow I benefit from the knowledge gained from previous grows. Nicely done and congrats!

Good to hear it wasn't for nothing. As we grow, we learn.

Prairie

Thanks for your advice as well Prairie. She still smokes pretty good. My lady seems to like it, so no complaints from me. :tokin:

Back
Top Bottom