Ph tester: Milwaukee or Hanna?

Droopy Dog

Looking for a decent Ph tester only, no combos at this point and Milwaukee and Hanna seem to pop up a lot.

Budget is in the $50-$75 range and I'm really not looking at the super cheapo units, nor can I afford a really good meter. The combo meter at work is a $750 unit.:yikes:

Any FIRSTHAND info would be welcome, likes, dislikes, experiences.

So, what works for you?

DD

I personally don't have any experience with either products, but I do know that Milwaukee makes a killer ph tester for like $20 (PH600). I've seen people praising that meter up and down, and I haven't really seen that with the cheaper Hanna meters.

I personally don't have any experience with either products, but I do know that Milwaukee makes a killer ph tester for like $20 (PH600). I've seen people praising that meter up and down, and I haven't really seen that with the cheaper Hanna meters.

Going from some journals ive read i have to agree people say Milwaukee is great and the opposite about the hannah..:peace:

+1 on the Milwaukee PH600. It sets up quickly, requires minimal re-calibration (but remember to spring for some extra PH 7.0 buffer for calibration and storage...you'll go through more of the buffer solution than they provide you with initially, so be prepared to buy more at the start.)

I use my PH600 on all my houseplants. It's amazing how much easier it is to keep them healthy and happy now that I'm adjusting the pH for each variety of house plant I keep. I used to use a soil tester, but it was garbage for the most part. The Milwaukee PH600 is money well spent, IMO.

Nice, but out of reach at the moment.

Did notice the Milwaukee Ph-51 looking around there and looks to be just what I'm looking for, a straight Ph meter, with decent specs. Thanks for the site.:yummy:

The EC/TDS meter will have to come later when funds are available.

DD

I have the ph51 and have gone through 2 of them! Bad luck I guess! They would spike all over the place. I now have the $95 Hanna HI98127 and it works flawlessly. However both meter are made in Mauritius probably in the same factory!

I have the Milwaukee PH600 and the Hanna pHep. The Hanna is much better. I thought the Milwaukee was ok, despite the need for constant re-calibration until I tested it using drops. After calibrating with 7.01 I dipped the meter in my 8.5 ph tapwater and the PH600 registered 6.4, repeatedly. Upon further testing (filtered water, etc.) and removing the batteries to re-set I concluded that THIS PH600 was useless.

This is the first I have ever heard that the Milwaukee PH600 was better than any Hanna, or any other meter.

Well, after a LOT of research and comparison, I got the Milwaukee SM101 meter. The 2 things besides the better accuracy than the others was 1. It takes a standard 9v battery and 2. The probe is separate from the meter with about a 1m cable.

Cost was ~$75 from eseasonsgear.com, and with all the various solutions (4.0, 7.0, cleaning, storage), it came to right at $115 delivered.

So far, it has been spot on, checked against the meter at work and I'm happy with it.

DD

This has since changed as I have picked up a ph600 and haven't had any issues with it. $20 bucks, and it does the job as it should.

This has since changed as I have picked up a ph600 and haven't had any issues with it. $20 bucks, and it does the job as it should.

Have you tested the tester? If you Google the PH600 you will find plenty of reason to test it with other methods. Try this one. Calibrate it then test a couple of solutions. After testing a few different solutions, rinse it and dip it back into 7.01 buffer solution. It will need recalibrating that fast. Mine is brand new, and will not give a reading above 7, no matter the true ph. I am just trying to pass on legitimate information that I have gained from experience, not debate.

nute_meters.jpg

Google, Google, Google. Man's best friend...well...:peace:

yeah I've done my research, and my unit does give a solid reading. I pulled it out of the package and it didn't need calibration, it gave my tap water a reading of 8+. I ran some tests on different water sources, went to calibrate it again, and it was spot on. I ran the same tests in the same water as before and it gave the same readings.

This led me to believe it was accurate. I haven't tested with strips or any other meter, I just trusted the results because of the solid calibration readings I got.

My plants were showing signs of high ph, and it was because I was giving them tap water, which gave me the 8+ ph reading. After about a week of giving them 6.3pH (reading from the meter) water, the plants have made 100% recovery.

Back
Top Bottom