Phelps In Legal Hot Water?

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps may be in legal hot water for smoking pot in South Carolina.

As RadarOnline.com earlier reported, Phelps was photographed smoking a bong at a November party in Columbia, South Carolina.

Now, the local Sheriff Leon Lott says he will charge Phelps with a crime if he determines the 14-time Gold Medal Winner smoked marijuana in Richland County.

This case is no different than any other case," Lott said Monday. "This one might be a lot easier since we have photographs of someone using drugs and a partial confession. It's a relatively easy case once we can determine where the crime occurred."

Possession of marijuana is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to 30 days in jail or a $570 fine, plus court costs.

Phelps has apologized, calling his behavior "inappropriate."

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Radar Online
Copyright: 2009 Fresh Intelligence
Website: Fresh Intelligence : Radar Online : Phelps In Legal Hot Water?

Leon Lott should be charged with disturbing the peace.

Alright someone get this sheriff Lott's mailing address and everyone take a pic of themselves smokin a bong and flipping the bird and send it to him sayin leave phelps alone! Props To Phelps

I don't see why everyone is making such a big deal about this anyways....hell he won 8 gold medals....besides they should look at it this way....at least he didn't kill anyone....as for him...he should've been proud he did it

this is rediculous, absolutely pointless

Hasn't the age of facebook and myspace taught us anything? We have no privacy anymore and it's getting much easier for our "illegal doings" to get out in public, whether it be pictures of Micheal Phelps smoking a bong or high-school kids at a kegger.

Either way it is a bullshit case as all marijuana arrests.

Yah I had a buddy who got caught drinking and driving (very uncool) and he hurt someone while doing it and he got out on bail on his charges and came to a halloween party I was at wearing a jail suit costume that said "jail bird" on it and got photographed drinking out of a 40 of whisky while dancing. The photo got on facebook and the prosecutor became aware of it somehow and brought it up in court saying "look he has no remorse he's out drinking and partying again already etc.." The judge agreed and gave him the harshest sentance he could instead of the lightest he informed my friend he was going to receive when the judge believed he was sorry and had learned from his actions.. Long story short be careful around people with camera's.

i agree, i love me some toys too
i just think that some things are worth more than money
he probably hasn't had any advice to go pro-mj from the people around him and he probably is worried about keeping his ass out of jail (i would be)
this story will go away soon, i hope.
maybe with time he'll think it over and speak up
he may be an old man by then and i'll never know
:cheesygrinsmiley:

if that sheriff isn't going after any underage drinkers at that same party doesn't that violate the whole idea of due process and equal enforcement of all the laws including deputys wifes who complain of domestic abuse by deputy beatherdown...

underage drinkers? that could be something to, but he needs to go after anyone else that was at the house that new weed smoking was going on and didn't tell cops. It's really stupid, Phelps won't rat on anyone though. A couple sponsors already have dropped him and he's being charged, and there's some people here who are against him wowww.

While I do not think any adult who uses cannabis responsibly deserves legal trouble for their safer choice, I do not feel that bad for Phelps. There was no way anyone could prove that that was him in the picture (I did not know until it was pointed out), that he was even smoking (bong was clear), and that there was weed in the bong. You can see like 25% of his face if that, and it was first reported by a British tabloid, the story was very sensationalistic and almost sounded like the satire the Onion would print. If he said no comment there would be no way that any of his sponsors could have dropped him without knowing for sure, and since they do now they really have no choice but drop him. He also would not be in any legal trouble or face a suspension/elimination from future Olympics. I hope this is the last crack in the floodgate and cannabis is legalized or at least decriminalize in the next few years so we can be done with this bullshit.

Negative, they are saying see how it screws up young lives.
It does not, the 70 year old prohibition of It Does :cheesygrinsmiley:

We need someone like Phelps to speak out.

I ever mention I worked for some smugglers named Phelps :cheesygrinsmiley:
Saved one of there boats when I was in the USCG,
then worked another of their shrimp boats when I got out.
I was the First GreenHorn, to fish out of Key West and get a Full share :cheesygrinsmiley:,
who's daddy didn't own the boat.

It does not, the 70 year old prohibition of It Does :cheesygrinsmiley:

We need someone like Phelps to speak out.

I ever mention I worked for some smugglers named Phelps :cheesygrinsmiley:
Saved one of there boats when I was in the USCG,
then worked another of their shrimp boats when I got out.
I was the First GreenHorn, to fish out of Key West and get a Full share :cheesygrinsmiley:,
who's daddy didn't own the boat.

that is awesome and hillarious, nice job man

Back
Top Bottom