Pioneer II Jr lighting system

MrsGreenThumb

Ok so after feeling the pinch of the current price of smokage I have decided to invest in a small set up to grow my own. I was originally going to try the simple and easy way and use the aerogarden pro200, but after speaking with my local hydroponics expert I decided maybe I can do better with the money I was spending.

So I now have a pioneer II Jr. light fixture which holds (2) 24w flor. bulbs. I have just started 5 seeds (i got them from previous bags of cheeba strain unknown) in grodan rockwool. I want to know if this set up will be sufficient to produce a decent personal yield from seed to flower without any additions or will I need to invest in better bulbs? And also any suggestions on my next steps would be helpful since I have never grown before. Thanks Much...and I will keep you posted.

MGT

thanks much damagoman....I will keep that in mind. Im wondering if there are HPS that will fit in the pioneer or will this will require another purchase of a lighting system?

thanks much damagoman....I will keep that in mind. Im wondering if there are HPS that will fit in the pioneer or will this will require another purchase of a lighting system?

I am curious as to how much that contraption costs? Uou may want to grab some cfl's to help out a little bit then start planning on what you are going to do for flowering. If you can't afford or don't have the space for HIDS then you may want to check out some of the cfl grows going on. They are much cheaper and emit less heat but they are way more work . You won't get near the quanity as a hid but you can get some quality meds.. :peace:

I am curious as to how much that contraption costs? Uou may want to grab some cfl's to help out a little bit then start planning on what you are going to do for flowering. If you can't afford or don't have the space for HIDS then you may want to check out some of the cfl grows going on. They are much cheaper and emit less heat but they are way more work . You won't get near the quanity as a hid but you can get some quality meds.. :peace:

Ok luv...Im new to this so what is the difference between cfl's grows and cfls? Or is there a difference? And the set I purchased cost about 160-180$ The plants look gorgeous...Im actually having a hard time keeping up with them. I have to replant them into their perm. home now since theyve grown enough in the small grodan cubes. Thanks Much for the info. Oh and yes I am working on a budget however, I understand I will need more items to get this off the ground. So I am willing to invest more if I have to...and from what it sounds like the set up I have now is not going to work for flowering. ;)

As with anything you will get what you put into it. the light you bought is great for starting your seedlings, and vegging the plants.

Your setup will work ok for flowering but the bud volume, density, and potency will be much less than if flowered under a HID HPS system.

Your plant requires basically 2 different spectrum's of light for grow and for bloom.

Optimal Vegging spectrum often referred to as color temperature is 6500 Kelvin. This is mostly Blue colored light

Optimal Bloom/Flowering spectrum is around 3000K. This is red/orange. Check out peoples pics and you cant miss the HID HPS lights they are orange looking.

Most important after color is the output. More Lumens the better. It is difficult to achieve high lumen output without using an HID light system.

The more lumens in flowering the thicker and denser your buds will be as well as potent.

The different kinds of light are as follows:

Fluorescents :

Different sizes and shpes coming in different colors
Tubes Like your pioneer:
T5 1 T means Tube and 5 is the diameter in eighths of an inch such as 5/8
T8 8/8's or 1 inch
TT55 2 T's means its a double tube and the number is the watts 55 in this case
TT105 2 Tubes 105 watt

CFL Compact Fluoresecent Light

Usually its a coiled up floro tube resembling the shape of a standard light bulb.

Comes in different colors as well. Popular at Lowes or Homedepot since they are way more efficient then incandescent bulbs and its the latest craze in going green next to LEDs. many peoiple on here do grow with these CFLs or use CFLs to supplement shady areas in there HID grow setup.

LED

Light Emitting Diode

Just emerging into the grow scene. Only somewhat useful ones are very expensive and not completely practical yet. see UFO LED and Procyon 100

HID

High Intensity Discharge

the most efficient grow lights today in terms of wattage consumed compared to light produced vs heat and price.

these lighting systems require special equipment such as the bulbs cables and ballast.

MH = Metal Halide
Produces mostly Blue spectrum Ideal for vegging

HPS = High Pressure Sodium
Produces mostly red/orange spectrum ideal for flowering.

Given that you are an avid smoker I would start saving your beans for maybe a 400 - 600 watt system. Look for a ballast such as Lumatek that will light a MH and HPS bulb. All's you have to do is swap the bulb. You will thank your self each and every time you smoke your home grown meds.

Check ebay out they often have package deals that get you everything you need in one shot. PM me and I'll give you some ideas when you are ready. Should be around $200-250 for a package.
:peace:

thanks for the info mcbudz....however the girls are doing very nicely with the setup I have. I wasnt expecting much considering the information Ive been reading, but I am pleased!

Back
Top Bottom