Aerogarden setup questions - Assistance greatly appreciated from Renegade69

CMJJMC2000

Long time lurker, first time poster. In fact, I created an account in hopes that I could PM Renegade69. However, I see that I need at least 50 posts to be able to do that. Hopefully, he'll see this thread. If not, hopefully some other aerogardeners will.
My autoflowering tomato seeds will start germinating tomorrow (or Thursday) and I'm hoping to get this right on the first attempt at hydro/aero.

First.....The Setup
Aerogarden Ultra LED - I will only be using the stock hood for early stages of veg. I have a MarsHydro 48 reflector that will be taking the handoff from the stock hood once I get a few sets of leaves. I also have two of the 24W Taotronics bulbs to supplement from the sides. The plan is to germinate 2 or 3 tomato seeds (dwarf low flyer - auto) and place one on far left back, one in front middle and the last on far right back. The strongest of the 3 after 1 week will live and the other 2 will go on to a wetter place in many many pieces.

I've got thermostat and hygrometer set up with fan for circulation. From an environmental standpoint, I think I can control those forces.

My main questions come with regard to the initial germination and transplant into the aerogarden grow sponge. I've read that it's good to cut the top half of the sponge in half - vertically - in order to allow for a less stressful transplant to the growing medium. I've also read about boring a small hole vertically into the medium and just placing the germed seed taproot down. May try a combination of these since I have some wiggle room for error on the initial germination.

Question - Should the growing sponge be soaked in water already?

Question - Should I be using custom settings for the pump on/off during this important stage where the taproot is working it's way down and the first leaves are coming up? Should the pumps be going 24/7 or 10 minutes on, 50 minutes off? This is the biggest part that confuses me. I'm worried that if they're on the stock germ schedule, which I think is 1 hour on, 11 hours off, that the medium will be overwatered at the "on" point and overly dry by the "off" point. Am I overthinking this? What has worked for y'all?

I appreciate any help that I can get, as I'm growing this tomato plant as stealth as possible. We own our home, so I'm more concerned about other external risks and have been extremely discrete thus far. In reality, this is a small aerogarden in a very large house where the utility impact will be a non-factor and in a zero crime/police presence neighborhood. Still, I'm ultra paranoid. All of my browsing and posting is via TOR and through a burner email.

The knowledge I've already obtained just from lurking and reading (no joke, at least 60 to 100 hours over the course of the last 2 months) is awesome and exciting. With your assistance, I hope to be a much less paranoid contributor in the future.

My next set of questions will be pertaining to nute mix in this tiny reservoir and will hold off on that series of questions until I get the next step underway this week. I have the full compliment of products from AN. I've really spared no expense to ensure that the fruit this plant bears is of the highest and cleanest quality.

Thank you Dr. Fish. I've browsed around there but the number of folks completing Aerogarden grows with autoflowers/dwarfs are few and far between, unfortunately. I know that if I could touch base with someone that successfully finished a grow using the aerogarden I'd be set. I really just need to bounce a few ideas their way regarding the settings for each stage of growth and the transitions in between. I'll keep searching, though!

I'm guessing this is probably the $200 model i see online... If this were all i had to grow in, first i would cry, then make a small change to the system and how i would use it... First i'd cut some closed cell foam inserts, to fit the holes and use it as a cloner... Two cuttings in each foam insert.... Thin to one plant per insert.... As soon as they have good roots, week to ten days, go to 12/12 and flower..... Mini sea of green....
You would need a mother, photo period, no autos for clones.... If i couldn't run a separate mother in coco/perlite, i'd grow one or two mothers in the system... Then i'd take all big healthy clone cuttings... The mothers you've raised get tossed... Clean the system, let the cloning begin, followed by flowering........

The thing about aero systems i don't like is more maintenance... Sprayers clog, pumps that run all the time add a lot of heat to the reservoir.... You may need a timer, and do 1 min. on, 4 off..... I think there are still some of the old mars 3x100 leds on eBay for under $100... The extra light would be worth the $$

I've settled on air driven waterfarm type drip systems.. I've used them in both my grow threads here... Air driven drip systems are simple and add little heat.... One plant in a well run WF/scrog screen will get you 6-8 oz.. more when you get better at growing... You'll need to run any system you choose a few times to get the best out of it...
That aero system will grow you some smoke, but autos are maybe not the best choice..

You don't need 50 posts to upload pics, just go to the gallery and click on upload photos...

Back
Top Bottom