Pit growing?

cdnorden

ok i have heard of people digging huge holes or pits or whatever you want to call them and filling them with your choice of premium soil instead of using the natural soil(which is probably not as good.here in FL it is very very sandy.)
anywho, my question is would you be able to use this site year after year or would the nutrients eventually go away and the ph go to crap?

I'm sure you'll get more opinions than mine just be patient. Now, I am the farthest thing from a grow expert but I'm using common logic here. If you're using a soil better than the original than its got to be better for the plants. And to answer your question about the nutrients, they will definitely go away with time. I have no idea how long it would take for the soil to be absolutely tapped, but like I said, I'm sure someone else will help you out as well.

it depends on the place and the water table and the general PH of the soil at the location

best guess would be take samples of dirt where you want to grow
and get it tested that would tell you basics of area and what nutes would get depleted first without additives

have noted that container growing fall off quite a bit second or third time i use dirt over
however adding poor mans nutes [diluted pee and compost tea]
seems to help but not like fresh soil mix

floreida ? is there lots of sand and limestone ? possibly PH would be too high might need peat compost and acidic stuff

hope this helps some

there are way too many factors for someone to just come up with a simple answer for you, thats why noone has answered your noob question.....there is no one answer

you could use the holes year after year. You would need to continuosly feed the plants every so often while you have plants growing in them. Even plants grown in soil that comes with nutrients in them need to be fed again after a couple weeks.

As to us answering your question...This is common sense stuff and could have been answered with a simple amount of reading. While my job is to help around here it's not my job to answer every question. Especially ones that could have been answered with the tiniest amount of research. You wouldn't believe how many new growers want to be led around by the hand and told every little step on what to do instead of doing a small amount of reading and learning the basics on their own.

Back
Top Bottom