Plans for first grow: Arjan's Haze #3 - ninja stealth.

supermanninja

I tried to get help in the forum "Cabinet, Closet, & Grow Room Setup" but without luck, so I started this one in hope for a better respons here :thanks:

Hello people!

I have just started to build my stealth box of an old closet with two doors. The closet measures: Height 165cm (5,4 foot), Width 94cm (3 foot) and Depth 47cm (1,5 foot), which means that the inside is about 0,729 cubic meters (25,7 cubic feet) big.

I have measured plastic pots at a local garden equipment store and found out that I will have enough space for three 12 litre (3,1 gallon) plastic pots in my growspace.
Pretty big, but I hope that extra root space will make the plants happy and juicy

In this space I intend to grow three Arjan's Haze #3 but I have a few questions regarding light and the strain it self:

First I wonder if this CFL-light kit is any good and if it would give enough light for the plants to make a good yield in my grow space?
(I intend to use them both at the same time from seed to harvest.)
CFL-kit: CFL Lighting Kit Complete 2 x 125W - 89.95 euro

I also have a feeling that the Arjan's Haze #3 strain are going to be taller than my grow space allows, and I wonder which way is the best to control the height of the plant without loosing final yield and quality?

Regards...
/SupermanNinja

That strain loves lots of light.

It looks like the CFL kit only comes with one socket, so that would be 125 watts of CFL unless you added another socket (and, likely, reflector).

The HPS has 250 watts and would be much brighter and have better penetration. It would produce a lot more light than one 125-watt CFL (also more than two of them). In that space it would be adequate for light flowering. It might be advantageous to add supplemental light in the form of smaller wattage CFLs around the perimeter - perhaps four 42-watt ones? 6500K ones would complement the HPS nicely and could be used at the beginning for starting the plants and in early vegetation. Not allowing the plants to get too high would be helpful. Ventilation and air-exchange would be important in a confined space such as that - especially with an open reflector.

With that space, those lights, and that strain, one might grow in DWC (small nutrient tank with lid) with an aquarium air-pump running two full-length airstones and a small aquarium powerhead to really keep the mix, uhh, mixed and aerated 24/7 with plants in some kind of pots or cups that have the majority of the walls/bottom drilled out and a media such as hydroton that would be inert wet or dry and have reasonably good moisture and oxygen holding capacity while the roots were small enough that one was hand-watering them. One might only grow either one AH3 plant at a time or two - one from each end of the reservoir - with a shorter vegetative time. Assuming that the seeds were feminized, one might be happier growing one at a time. One might start the plant(s) in a small but relatively deep container such as a large disposable styrofoam or plastic drink cup and a neutral medium such as perlite or a 50:50 perlite:vermiculite mix. Such a medium will have small pieces and a good amount of air-spaces and be easy for the developing root system to grow in. One might find that the seedlings grew quickly under first one, then two, three, and finally all four CFLs (and then the HPS and eventually all five lights) and that the plants quickly went from the perlite cups to the hydroton cups in the reservoir lid and soon after that the roots reached the nutrient solution and no longer needed to be hand-watered. One might find that in such a space - and, again, with that strain - growing under some sort of screen in a scrog fashion would be best. At some point before flowering, one might take at least one cutting and place it in a light soil (that has a lot of perlite in it) in an even smaller space with either a single 42-watt bulb or one or two 23-watt ones. One might find that an aluminum garbage can works very well. If the plant seems to grow too quickly even with the limited amount of light, one might shorten the number of light hours but break them up so that there is still no more than eight hours of darkness in any one contiguous chunk. That clone could either go into the cabinet directly after harvest for a quicker repeat, it could become a mother that supplied cuttings for future grows, or one could continue to keep it in the "stasis chamber" while one did the next grow with another seed in order to compare each for yield, flavor, et cetera. Then one could decide which of the two would be best for a mother. One might go through several seeds and grows this way until finally being left with the plant that best for them - and at all times after the first harvest, there will be a backup plant.

One might have an enjoyable Autumn and Winter.

In all honesty, I would recommend definitely getting the 250w hps/mh switchable ballast. It will provide ample light for your size cab, and will produce much more dense buds.
I would also think about starting them on 12/12 photoperiod from the very beginning. Arjan's Haze is a rather tall plant, and given your overall height after you include the lamp and the space underneath so as not to burn the plants, you are kind of limited on height.
Starting from the beginning with the 12/12 will ensure that you stay within your height restrictions and still end up with some great medicine. You can easily achieve 3' colas this way.

Would a 250-watt light be adequate for 3' colas? That was why I suggested a scrog grow.

I would think that if cfls were placed on the sides of the box to compliment the 250w, you would want utilize the vertical aspect of that extra lighting.
SCROG is an excellent method for this strain as well, though, you would probably be limited to only 1 or 2 plants woven throughout the screen. I'm sure that the yeild and end result will be great, it's just a matter of which way you choose to fill your space. I've found that by growing out your seeds (especially one as nice as an Arjan's Haze) and picking your best to sit aside as a mother. Then taking cuttings from MOM every two weeks and rotating 4 rooted cuttings every two weeks directly into flowering, and placing those 5" apart in rows, that the vertical cola method will actually provide not only a hefty harvest, but a perpetual harvest that keeps 'em coming and doesn't fill up all of your space in one burst. I guess it depends on what kind of harvest and continuity (if any) that you are looking for. Just my thoughts.:smokin:

...With that space, those lights, and that strain, one might grow in DWC (small nutrient tank with lid) with an aquarium air-pump running two full-length airstones and a small aquarium powerhead to really keep the mix, uhh, mixed...
I have already bought three plastic pots (three gallons each) and high quality soil. I thought about hydro at first, but I then realized that it's probably harder to succeed and get a healthy plant when the first grow is hydro. And also, soil is more natural :rollit:

...I would also think about starting them on 12/12 photoperiod from the very beginning. Arjan's Haze is a rather tall plant, and given your overall height after you include the lamp and the space underneath so as not to burn the plants, you are kind of limited on height.
Starting from the beginning with the 12/12 will ensure that you stay within your height restrictions...
It is the Arjan's Haze #3 that I have bought and that strain is the slightly shorter one. I intend to cut of their main stem after about a week or two of vegging to make them split and become bushier, and also to get cuttings.
Greenhouse female seeds Arjans haze # 3 seeds (P239) « Female Seeds

I have four 7W CLF lamps that I will use alone the first week of vegging. When I later have the HPS I will place the CFLs on the sides as a supplement. I hope that they alone is enough the first days if I let them hover about an inch from the plants top at all times.
Are you sure that I need to start with 12/12 from the beginning, even though I have the shorter #3 strain? I was planning on vegging two weeks, then hit 12/12 for another eight-nine weeks of blooming — and hopefully I will have some juicy buds in the middle of December.

Now the three seeds have laid between wet paper since yesterday evening and as soon as they pop, I'll plant them directly into the soil in the three pots.

Regards...
/SupermanNinja

...With that space, those lights, and that strain, one might grow in DWC (small nutrient tank with lid) with an aquarium air-pump running two full-length airstones and a small aquarium powerhead to really keep the mix, uhh, mixed...
I have already bought three plastic pots (three gallons each) and high quality soil. I thought about hydro at first, but I then realized that it’s probably harder to succeed and get a healthy plant when the first grow is hydro. And also, soil is more natural :rollit:

...I would also think about starting them on 12/12 photoperiod from the very beginning. Arjan's Haze is a rather tall plant, and given your overall height after you include the lamp and the space underneath so as not to burn the plants, you are kind of limited on height. Starting from the beginning with the 12/12 will ensure that you stay within your height restrictions...

It is the Arjan’s Haze #3 that I have bought and that strain is the slightly shorter one. But I will cut of their main stem after about a week or two of vegging to make them split and become bushier, and to get cuttings.
Greenhouse female seeds Arjans haze # 3 seeds (P239) « Female Seeds

I have four 7W CLF lamps (about 2000 lumen total) that I will use alone the first week of vegging. When I later have the HPS I will place the CFLs on the sides as a supplement. I hope that they alone is enough the first days if I let them hover about an inch from the plants top at all times.

Will the step up from 250W HPS to 400W HPS increase the heat in the growspace to much to still be usable? They cost the same and I'm thinking "what the heck?!".

Are you sure that I need to start with 12/12 from the beginning, even though I have the shorter #3 strain? I was planning on vegging two weeks, then hit 12/12 for another eight-nine weeks of blooming – and hopefully I will have some juicy buds in the middle of December.

Now the three seeds have laid between wet paper since yesterday evening and as soon as they pop, I’ll plant them directly into the soil in the three pots.

Regards...
/SupermanNinja

Are you sure that I need to start with 12/12 from the beginning, even though I have the shorter #3 strain?

It is short - for a sativa-dominant strain;). It's unlikely that you'll see it get over 5' (especially if you restrict its roots to 3-gallon pots - maybe a three and a half to four-footer?).

A short sativa - or sativa-dominant - strain is not the same thing as a short indica strain.

But, as in all cases, height can be controlled by training.

I was planning on vegging two weeks, then hit 12/12 for another eight-nine weeks of blooming – and hopefully I will have some juicy buds in the middle of December.

Hmm. I do not have my records in front of me to double-check, but unless I misremember, AJ3 will stretch for around 30-32 days and its total flowering period is around 82 days (give or take a few).

In any event, assuming that you like a sativa-buzz, you should enjoy the strain.

I hope that you do a grow-journal on this one both because there are surely others who would like to grow but do not have a large space and because I don't believe that there has been an AJ3 journal here for a while.

Oh - and I could be wrong about the flowering length. Or the strain might be somewhat different than it used to be (it happens). YMMV.

I bought and grew arjans haze #3 2yrs ago still have the original package, it was big fluffy and bloomed for 90 days. had the best expectation watched the movie of them growing it at green house seeds. he said that he was going to win cup with it and i was stoked, grew out 4 fem beans, 1/2 way through bloom almost 5mo invested and they changed the predicted thc% from 20+ to 14% I was happy with the growth and the slight of citrus smell. But I nor my patents were happy with what we called bud light, great smoke with low effect. I haven't grown any green house seed strains since, they do have other potent good strains, but after my time and money loss and the response they gave me when I complained was just grow something else. so maybe mine was the only shit bean pack but unless u want bud light dont invest in ah3

...Hmm. I do not have my records in front of me to double-check, but unless I misremember, AJ3 will stretch for around 30-32 days and its total flowering period is around 82 days (give or take a few).

I have read that it goes from start to finish in about 11 weeks, but now I have to double check :reading420magazine:

I hope that you do a grow-journal on this one both because there are surely others who would like to grow but do not have a large space and because I don't believe that there has been an AJ3 journal here for a while.

I intend to make this thread a grow-journal as soon as things start to grow. I will write down everything that I do with the plants in a calendar so that know how to take care of my clones. I will share this personal journal with you in the end so that others can use it as a grow guide for this particular strain.

...I was happy with the growth and the slight of citrus smell. But I nor my patents were happy with what we called bud light, great smoke with low effect. I haven't grown any green house seed strains since, they do have other potent good strains, but after my time and money loss and the response they gave me when I complained was just grow something else. so maybe mine was the only shit bean pack but unless u want bud light dont invest in ah3...

Well that doesn't sound too good but I hope I'll have a better experience with this strain. In a Swedish forum a guy got 230 grams of good cured buds with a potent tight sativa buzz. In his closet he had three plants under a 400W HPS lamp from start to finish and it took him about 11 weeks before he could cut them down. His words translated from swedish to english:

"This smoke is, and I can say this without lying, just wonderful... very very potent, beats for example WW in strength and it gives me a really creative and social buzz. I tried it the first time pure in a spliff and I took maybe five tokes and got so god damn fried. But I didn't get tired and slow, instead I felt creative and energetic. When I started to calm down I found myself sitting on the floor blowing soap bubbles with my left hand and drawing bizarre surreal images with my right hand, while having a big smile on my face."

Of course I hope to get the same experience and result with my grow but I still wonder:
400W HPS or 250W HPS? They cost the same (strangely), but do the 400W version get a lot warmer than the 250W version and therefore need more advanced cooling?

/SupermanNinja

Anyone?!

My seeds have popped now (they are alive!) and the plants have one 11W CFL (552 lumen) each, hanging about one inch from the tops. Two of them are about 1" tall and the third about 0,5" tall, but soon they'll grow big and after two weeks of constant light (24/0) I'm planing on going 12/12. At that time I must have a proper light and therefore I need to order as soon as possible.

So what do you say;
Does 250W HPS produce enought light for three plants in my space, or should I go with a 400W HPS instead?

/SupermanNinja

I bought and grew arjans haze #3 2yrs ago still have the original package, it was big fluffy and bloomed for 90 days. had the best expectation watched the movie of them growing it at green house seeds. he said that he was going to win cup with it and i was stoked, grew out 4 fem beans, 1/2 way through bloom almost 5mo invested and they changed the predicted thc% from 20+ to 14% I was happy with the growth and the slight of citrus smell. But I nor my patents were happy with what we called bud light, great smoke with low effect. I haven't grown any green house seed strains since, they do have other potent good strains, but after my time and money loss and the response they gave me when I complained was just grow something else. so maybe mine was the only shit bean pack but unless u want bud light dont invest in ah3

I agree iv grown 5 diffrent gh seeds strains and all were a bit shit serious seeds all the way.

oh im doin a 400 w scrog with the arjans haze 1.

Iv been told c99 is the best 4 scrogs along side cronic!

Back
Top Bottom