Pollination Time Coming Soon

I am not sure good stock and hermie go in the same sentence. :)

Valid point, and you're right, but I've seen a few "Name Strains" throw a hermie every now and then so it's not a big definer for me, I see it as a bonus every now and then.
But I've only ever grown for personal use and pleasure gardening so a few seeds has never bothered me. If it smokes good I'm happy. I guess there is a sliding scale at the crap level as well, and what I think is junk, someone else may be quite happy with. It's all about the herb in end.
Cheers n Peace

Your strains might be fine for smoke but there is a survivalist in the mix that needs to be rogued out. I

I didn't want to highjack the thread so I sent a PM to help you get started on the rogueing process.

It will expand your gene diversity, and initially give you a few flavours to choose from before you settle on one.

Peace

German shepherd is what my folks bred great dogs. I love my doberman though man smart like shepherd but not quite as tough. Great dog with our toddler treats her so hood

Awe... Dogs are so awesome and good on you for raising your toddler with a Dog, I definatley think it expands a childs mind to interact with animals and humans, to have a bond with a dog is to know a friend who is truly loyal, you learn to gauge the humans by experience. The more I know my dog the more I understand why we domesticated them thousands of years ago. I love my Dog.

So hood. Lmao. Funny. Meant good. Yeah she's a pretty lucky Lil girl. She's got 4 dogs, 4 worthless cats, 2 doe goats and one baby, a chicken (hen solo) princess lay a egg and the other 7 ewoks got devoured by raccoons. I shot one. Then rightfully left at the base of the tree where our eagles are. Oh and we are about to get two cows cause its what's for dinner.

OMG!! you really are living the dream, this is identical to my escape plan. I had a Falconer offer some free classes when I was a young hunter, but my parents didn't want any raptors around cause of the Poultry and Rabbits.

But anyhow ya man that's my dream, some grass fed Shorthorn, Angus, Red Angus, Hereford or Galloway. Funny how breeding cattle, and breeding cannabis have transferable skills, mostly looking at a genetic expression.

Have you ever considered rabbits?

No but farm down the road I fill up on there shit each spring then spread all over my used fox farm soil that's spread over my garden then till it all.

I live on a island that's in the middle of the skagit rivers mouth. So we are famous here for snow geese, swans, tulips and a shit ton of bald eagles. On our farm the back side of the left 400 acres we lease out for crops there's one eagles nest and at the other end of farm roughly half mile there's another. Only down fall is pretty sure they ate my wife's cat a few years back.

Wifes cat? ya I guess it's a downfall. Wow man you live in Gods country, I grew up in Thunder Bay by Minnesota, Biut I have heard of the fishing on the Skagit in British Columbia. That's where I have to be, West coast in Gods country.

Good thing about Rabbits you don't really need to cookem in the soil. Anyhow friend I have a truckload of logs that have to get sawed up, I will be on later.

Later

Cool how this thread meandered it's way along. I've got a beautiful Strawberry Blue female that's loading up with buds at day 24 of her flowering cycle. I've also got pollen collected from two males, both of which came from the Cotton Candy + White Widow X cross in my last grow. I think this will make an interesting cross so I'm wanting to take a little of that pollen and apply it to some of her lower branches. But at 24 days into flowering I'm wondering if this is the best time.

And I took some cuttings the other day from another plant and stuck them into the dirt in my backyard and watered them with a hose. And gosh-darn if they're not both surviving. So would it be possible to take some lower cuttings from a plant, stick them in a glass jar with a very weak nute mix and keep it going long enough to produce seeds? I know that's asking a lot from a plant's amputated limb, but this would let me keep all the pollen operations completely out of that grow room tent.

I would vote no, when you make a cutting the plant will focus it's energy making roots Your flowering will stop and so will vegetative growth for the most part until there is a balance of enough roots to support new growth. You can pollinate now with whatever technique you like. I always like to have four weeks or more left in maturing time to let the seeds finish, if not you will have a few good ones and a shit ton of premature seeds that will all have to be sorted. I built a vac attachment to sort premees and stuff after the drying period.

I would advise you to pollinate the lower branches and leave the top buds for medicine. That way you can harvest the top buds and leave the pollinated branches on the plant till they mature. I would give a light feeding immediately after the chop. Plants can live a long time after the ideal maturing time if you feed them.

And you should be good for some healthy viable seeds that will handle long term storage.

Oh no...my very bad mistake. High humidity when I closed up that glass jar cost me all of the pollen I collected. Came home tonight ready to carefully spread a little around at lights out and yuke. The jar was totally ruined. There was even mold growing in it, big time and all in less than a week in that jar which was cleaned when I started with it. I did two dumb things, ignore the humidity and I left it out in the light. Duh! That will be another lesson learned. I was able to get a small amount of pollen that was on the inside of the glass jar up near the lid on a soft brush and I spread it as carefully as I could to only a single bud on three different plants. I don't know if it took or not and won't know for a few weeks. Looks like I'm SOL on seeds for this trip and even if I get some it will be only a few. Another lesson in this is not to 86 the males until you're sure you got the gals pollinated.

awe to bad man let us know if you get seeds, I saved pollen before thought it was viable, took on one plant but not another, weird.

I have one clone from one of those males and he's balling all over himself now. So this time I didn't wait and carefully sprinkled some of his pollen onto a single bud of one of the females and then let him shower all over another female completely. Should end up with at least a few more seeds from this soon. The good news is that the two large males I 86'ed a few weeks ago did their job well on a female I have outside. She's loaded with seeds now and I'll harvest them shortly.

Well that's better news, let them go minimum 4 weeks now to get as many mature seeds as possible, near the end they will be falling off the plant so make sure you have something underneath the plant :)

Way to go man congrats on your upcoming seed crop

Yes and thanks. I will always be into buying seeds for genetics sake, but at around $5-$7 US for a single seed these days....sheesh! Makes you think about all the seeds we let slide down a cookie sheet and into the trash cans.

If you buy regular landrace seeds and open pollinate you will be saving the building blocks of all the Cannabis Hybrids you see being sold for $5 a seed.

I don't need to buy seeds I have 43 strains in my bank right now, but I will always buy a landrace, or a tried and true IBL.

Good job man! I am a seed hoarder lol I love seeds as much as the plant.

Okay, I can definitely now confirm that if you are carefully apply pollen to just one bud you will get seeds on only that bud. I know it's a known fact with others but that video I saw the guy spoke with such authority that one spec of pollen will make the whole plant go to seed. Well this one didn't and it was the Strawberry Blue but unfortunately it was not with the male I wanted for her. But all is not lost. I have a clone of that really choice male which came from the Cotton Candy+White Widow X cross and some more clones of the Strawberry Blue right behind him. I'm really curious as to how that cross will turn out. BTW, I don't know how many seeds are in there yet, but it's quite obvious that that bud is different and the tell-tale signs of bulging seeds is showing on it. Will know the results in about 2-3 more weeks.

I can tell you that your cross will yield a variety of Phenos used to create the two hybrids you crossed, and the crossing of those young ones will express even more diversity. There will be no uniformity.

Back
Top Bottom