Pot sizing for clones

608rapps

I've just got a clone started in a 6" pot which from what I've looked up about that size says they are all generally 0.25 gal (didn't have a label on the pot saying the size). The clone was already started at a dispensary so it's just in the rooting stage at this point. I would say it's about 8in tall right now.

My question is how long should I leave it in this pot & should I move up to a 1 gal or 5 gal next?

I've watered it twice in the past 2 days so I'm not sure if it's too small and the water is evaporating or if the plant really is taking it all in due to the size of the pot.

I was going to start it in a 1 gal pot but couldn't find any at the time. Any advice would help.

Welcome to the group.

You have asked a good question. First, though, a question or two.

Before we can say whether the pot is too small or if the plant is too large for the amount of growing medium it will help if you can tell us what the medium is. Is it a potting soil or is it coco coir? I believe that most decent potting soils, especially if it is peat moss based, will not go through water that fast for an 8 inch recently cloned plant. If it is a coco coir based potting soil, or just plain coco coir, then it would not be unusual.

Either type of potting soil has its own watering and fertilizing methods so it is important to know which is which. If you bought a bag of soil then the exact name as it appears on the front of the bag will help since some of the group might be using the same product. Or, a photo of the front and back of the bag showing all the important info.

And, a photo of your plant will be helpful. Two reasons for that. One is that the photo will help tell if the plant is already to large, both height and width, for the container. Plus it will give an idea of the overall health of the plant and if there is a problem starting we might recognize it before it becomes a true problem.

Second reason for the photo of the plant is that some people just like looking at pictures of the plant.

I'm using "FoxFarm - Cultivation Nation 70/30 Mix 2 Cu Ft × 1"

Here's a couple photos

B9EECC42-1AFC-4270-8DF0-DF8C5C6297D3.jpeg

BTW I'm keeping the temp in the 70's and humidity in the 60's. It fluctuates alot but those are generally where they stay. Light is 100w sitting 25in above.

1EB8F1BE-4CFA-4998-ACF3-5C7621C1B288.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom