Potential grower advice

Saint420

Hello 420 magazine forum,
I am a daily smoker and recently it is just becoming too expensive to purchase marujuana. So I have decided to start growing. I have a wardrobe decent size that I was thinking about converting into a grow room. I will post a photo, but I'll need advice as too what size containers to use, soil, lights and neutriants and how much to water. I have seeds, not sure of strain but good smoke from the bud I got them from. I have about 30 all up but my wardrobe wouldn't fit anywhere near that.

After having germination issue with Jiffy peat moss pucks and soil I switched to Rapid Rooters and have had much higher germination rates. Rapid Rooters seem to provide the seed with the perfect amount of air and moisture. I soak my seeds in pH adjusted water for 30-36 hours or until i see tap roots. I cut the Rapid Rooter mat into individual squares then I soak the Rapid Rooter squares in pH adjusted water for 15 minutes before use. then I the seeds into the Rapid Rooter square then place them underneath a light with 18/6 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness. I do not use a humidity dome. I hand water with a syringe each day to keep the Rapid Rooter square moist. when I see roots emerge from the Rapid Rooter square I transplant to 5" pots in a mixture of peat moss, perlite, vermiculite and mycorrhizae.

https://generalhydroponics.com Rapid Rooter

https://www.horticulturesource.com general hydroponics rapid rooter mat

https://www.perfectgardens.com gh rapid rooter mat 98

https://www.accesshydroponic.com rapid rooter mat

I use peat moss, perlite, vermiculite and mycorrhizae for my plants. I would mix your soiless mixture in a ratio of 60% peat moss, 20% perlite and 20% vermiculite. If you can get Pro-Mix HP you would only need to add vermiculite and mycorrhizae.

I use General Hydroponics Flora series 3 part nutrients that can be mixed for all stages of vegetative growth and flowering. General Hydroponics Flora series can be used with hydroponic, soil and soiless mediums.

https://generalhydroponics.com nutrients flora series

https://www.horticulturesource.com general hydroponics gh flora series performance pack

I start my seeds in the Rapid Rooters, when they have roots I transplant to 5" pots then to 1 gallon pots then to 5 gallon pots when they require transplanting.

To make it ez on yourself I recommend using a premixed and ph balanced soil like Fox farms ocean forest or equivalent. Then all you need to add is 20% perlite and set a watering schedule. To start your seeds use damp rockwool cubes sealed in a ziplock bag stored at room temp or a bit warmer for 4-5 days. Then put the seedlings into large size solo cups to start them out after they pop open. You can grow with bagseed but high quality genetics will ensure good results... I also suggest feminized seeds to eliminate most of the guesswork. The growing part is easy but the hard part is waiting for your crop to ripen, harvest, and cure and then yielding enough to make it through to the next cycle. After awhile you may be thinking about upgrading to hydroponics and/or setting up a perpetual grow so you never run out. For a limited space like you have cfls or LEDs may be the best route due to the heat of HID lights in a 1 ft wide area. One thing to consider when converting a closet grow is ventilation and odor control which can be more difficult an issue than if you were growing in a tent w/multiple vent holes all in it.

great advice 1ft wide area is a bit small.but can be made to work.you will have to run mutiple clones no more then 12 inches in height.i would use square pots to maximize your area/you can even build a shelf and utilize the rest of the 6ft tall closet.you may not keep yourself smoking if you are a daily toker.to me i wouldnt half step with cfls unless i was vegging.floro tubes are alot better and cover more area.they also produce little heat.i have no exp with led.ventilation will be an issue regardless so plan to spend money to save money.and read read read.I started with bag seeds and floro tubes before the internet was as popular as it is today.dont get discouraged though growing has been one of the best things i ever started besides my family.

king im not bashing you but ive popped plently of seeds into fox farm soil without burn or issue.whatever happend to sow your seed in fertile soil?We arent talking about dumping chemical nutes on a seedling.In my experience with the strains i have grown i have had no problems.again im no horticulturist but experience of running anywhere from 10 to 99 plants for the past ten years gives me some confidence. great discussion and no offense king happy sunday!!

I may have read more journals then you where the decline of seedlings was traced to FoxFarm Ocean Forest soil. FoxFarm Happy Frog soil does not have the same issues with nutrient burning seedlings. If someone wanted to they could run a mixture of 30% FoxFarm Ocean Forest, 30% FoxFarm Happy Frog, 20% perlite, 20% vermiculite and mycorrhizae.

personal experience trumps reading with pictures.i have a thriving garden and always have.there are alot of outside influences that you may not be taking into account.temp water frequency and quality of the care.new growers tend to overwater or have hid lights on seedlings some of them may even add nutrients.I have a good relationship with my local hydro store,he says ocean forest has a runoff ppm of 1500ppm which is obviously high.He sells bags of the stuff and plant all kind of veggies and herbs straight into it.I never take a journal of someone elses grow as fact.go buy some ocean forest and try it yourself!

It's not a bad idea to dilute your FFOF soil as it does contain all the nutrients plants need for a full life cycle already. You can add whatever to lighten it up especially perlite as it is a bit heavy. I've never had a problem with putting seedlings right in it- organic based nutrients are time released... The plants use them as needed so they shouldn't burn unless chemical nutrients are added which is why I suggested it for ease of use. I flower in aeroponics but my mamas are in FFOF. If I want to have a new strain I just pop one feminized bean in rockwool as described above and then into the soil pot 2 weeks later... Then just give them tap water every 3 days ez breezy. The aero tubes are another story they require res changes every 3 weeks and daily ph/ppm checks

Back
Top Bottom