Unexpectedly expecting a visitor. Advice?

Snoogins1979

420 Member
Growing with a tent and wardrobe combo, 7 in flower, 4 in veg, all in soil both under 200w cfls. temp not normally an issue with fans running.

Just got a call from my builder, he needs to do some repairs on a day i am not home. I cant really refuse, as it also happened before i was growing.

I need to have the fans off, as the noise would be a dead give away. he has no reason to go in the room i grow in, so am only really worried about the noise.

I guess the real question is am i better to leave the lights on, or off? what would cause more damage a really long dark cycle, or a potentially very hot day (30c ambient) with the lights on?

this and any other advice appreciated
Snoo

30c ambient ain't to much of problem in the short run...

But leaving leaving fans off for a prolonged period of time you may notice a humidity spike !

This may lead to ideal grounds for a powdery mildew problem as this particular fungus loves high humidity, over 80% humidity might lead to a problem if over a long problem :thumb:

I would suggest keeping air circulation moving via a 6 inch or 8 inch desk fan or clip on fan inside of tent for period of building work around the canopy of the plants... this should work in the short run.

If paranoid about odours/smell get some gel/odour blocks, light some incense sticks the day or 2 before to help mask smell of the plants... even in veg some strains may smell a little & even more noticable in flower !

Smell of plants is not so noticable when living in the property but may well be noticed to guests , just a heads up as a few friends of my own have commented in the past :peace:

Smell of plants is not so noticable when living in the property but may well be noticed to guests , just a heads up as a few friends of my own have commented in the past :peace:

Very true, I grow AK-48 which is not even supposed to be THAT smelly, I almost don't notice it even when I go out for a day and then come back, and some friends came over and said you could smell it from several houses away, which is very bad. I got a charcoal filter and problem solved, you almost can't notice it while in the room where the tent is, and now the yard and street are smell free.

I agree with fuzzy, keep a small quiet fan moving the air around on that day, burn some incense that morning and keep the lights off, one day won't do any harm and the plant probably won't even know it happened. Also, the temp and humidity won't have a chance to cause a problem if they rise for a short period of time, my tent was 95% RH for a full day because I hadn't installed the exhaust fan yet and since is winter here and its very cold and humid, I have no chance but to operate at 65% RH and tops 20°C during lights on and approximately 12-15°C during lights off and the plant is very healthy and the buds are big, dense and full of thriches.

So just turn your equipment off and lock the door on that day. Whoever is coming to your house might not have a reason to go into that room but you never know.

thanks guys, lights off, fans off, will test the noise of my smaller fans today. off to buy a discreet lock now and some air freshener. fingers crossed!!

if nothing else play hookie & stay home that day

just to add my tuppence....nothing wrong with just sticking a cfl or 2 in there to make the plants think its just a cloudy day. you didn't mention whether an auto or reg grow, if reg its a lot more important to not mess with light times, but droping the intensity is no worries ;)

Actually a very good idea, one or two CFLs should do the trick.

Just a thought, i had company over also but was able to be home at the time, Closed the grow room door and turned on the radio inside there to dull the fan noise a bit. Seems like they didn't notice anything walking by the door a few times during that time. I also like the cooking the bacon to mask the skunkage, works very well haha :thumb:

A few months ago my modem blew out. The phone company was very responsive (surprisingly) and literally sent a guy out the next morning to me to fix or replace it. Well the only working phone line in my house is apparently the one in the room with my weed. So I had to run phonelines from there under the door and in the hallway lol.

You gotta remember its your house, not his. And as long as they dont actually see it, you are ok.

thanks again guys, great ideas for the smell, and the cloudy day lighting. all my plants are photo sensitive so that seems like a good idea if i can swing it. the door now has a lock so that makes me happier too.

Back
Top Bottom