Powdery mildew identification help

Miller39

420 Member

My first year growing outdoors and noticed this white starting only on the exposed to the sun fan and sugar leaves fearing it was mold I harvested a week early but I’m really not sure 100% is it powdery mildew? Knowing my luck it likely is.

0967F609-D090-47EF-B334-478CAB81B40F.jpeg

D66A431D-FB0E-4462-876D-FC7C2A695388.jpeg

3EADBFDB-2708-4EE3-8FD3-4B6A64658079.jpeg

The good news is that the plant seems about ready to harvest. You can bud wash at harvest to neutralize and remove the PM. If you have a few weeks left of flowering then you can spray with a citric acid solution to kill the mildew. I had the same thing happen to me last summer... this year it's a bunch of bud rot instead.

Well that’s the bad news being a big rookie I harvested thinking I could trim it off and save some of it. Never hearing of bud washing till tonight. It’s been drying in my garage for two full days now probably too late to bud wash eh? Wishing I had found this site a few days ago.

It's not ideal to do it once it's starting to dry. I think the reasoning is that the tricomes become more brittle and you're likely to effect the quality of the cannabis by knocking some off during the washing process... but at the same time the quality is already impacted from being covered in mildew so it's up to you. I would probably still do it but wait and see what some other people say first.

Well that’s the bad news being a big rookie I harvested thinking I could trim it off and save some of it. Never hearing of bud washing till tonight. It’s been drying in my garage for two full days now probably too late to bud wash eh? Wishing I had found this site a few days ago.
I wish I had found @420 before I panicked and put them in a hot mess of poor soil choice.
We are learning on the fly, There’s always next grow, no matter what happens :)

So you’s think it’s not too late to wash them? I’ll just be a little more gentle to not knock too much off. Use peroxide or lemon juice and baking soda?

It's not ideal to do it once it's starting to dry. I think the reasoning is that the tricomes become more brittle and you're likely to effect the quality of the cannabis by knocking some off during the washing process... but at the same time the quality is already impacted from being covered in mildew so it's up to you. I would probably still do it but wait and see what some other people say first.
hi @Miller39 i would go ahead and do it like @Regrowth said

below is how i bud wash all my bud, weather or not i had bugs or mould, i still wash

Capture.JPG

So you’s think it’s not too late to wash them? I’ll just be a little more gentle to not knock too much off. Use peroxide or lemon juice and baking soda?
If they are looking just like the buds in the photos ins msg #8 then I would go for it.

This is the link to the Bud Washing thread. The first 15 or so msgs are an intro and give the basic method which is not that complicated. The rest of the thread, and it is long, give other ideas or reports from people who have tried the Bud Washing over the years. Oh, and then somewhere they do bring up the use of the Hydrogen Peroxide.

below is how i bud wash all my bud, weather or not i had bugs or mould, i still wash
Great diagram but it does not follow the traditional Bud Washing thread the way I remember it.

Following the thread it is the Hydrogen Peroxide in the first bucket that kills off the mildew and other molds. That is one of the reasons it is used to reduce the chance of infection in minor wounds, cuts and burns.

The original thread starts off with the first bucket being the water with lemon juice and baking soda added. If the peroxide wash is going to be used then that is supposed to the the first bucket and the juice and soda becomes the second.

The lemon juice, a mild organic acid, is used to help remove some of the oils that hold the dust and small insects and just helps with cleaning. The baking soda is so finely ground that it can actually act as a mild scrub brush as whatever is being washed is swirled around. The soda is a base and the lemon juice is an acid and if we remember our high school science class when they are mixed they foam up.;) The foaming action acts as a gentle scrubbing. Traditionally, the two mixed together in the water have been used for all kinds of cleaning procedures. Then the rinsing. The tread recommends 2 rinse buckets but sometimes one will do.

If the mix and the sequence in the diagram works for you then go for it. It just is not the way I have interpreted the sequence in the Bud Wash thread.

Yes PM on the leaves. Can hose off plant that will stop the spread.

PM like dry warm weather. It's a fungi - think mushroom so it's not harmful for human consumption but will taste nasty.

Its usually on fans and leaves the part we dont puff. Cut of off and bud wash make edibles with the buds that were exposed.

3 five gal buckets

1st bucket = 1/3 cup lemon juice + 1/3 cup baking soda + fill with luke warm water

Dunk trimmed (fan leaves) branches like 10 times

buckets 2 & 3 are rinse buckets - fill with luke warm water - dunk in each bucket 10x and hang dry on a line. In 3-5 days trim and into containers - burp daily for a week.

Appreciate all the help! So I just washed all the buds. I used peroxide in the first bucket then lemon juice and baking soda then rinse off. Looking at it hanging afterwards and it got rid of at least 95% of it. The odd spot I’d I look hard enough through it but it should at least be killed right? Definitely quite a bit of crystals lost off the leaves since it had already been drying. But something is better than a total loss. I’ll see why it’s like tmw and update you all. Again thanks for the help!!

All you gotta do is wash and rinse. PM will be gone.

Not 95% gone .... 420 all gone.

PM will affect the flavor of you puff. It wont be a health issue unless you have an allergy to mildew. That allergy is rare. It's not tested on weed in legal states because it's not harmful and very very hard to test.

Back
Top Bottom