Problem with Ballast or Hood

OlderStoner

I have two 600w air-cooled hoods with ballasts in my setup. They're not top of the line but the one in question has carried me through almost three different grows. Today the bulb in it was out so I swapped it out with another 600w MH I have but it failed to light too. So I assumed it's the ballast but the fan in the ballast is still running. I know that's not a guarantee that the ballast is good so I was hoping someone with more experience could advise me.

The grow only has about 3 weeks left and having only one 600w light in that tent will probably suffice but I'd rather finish it off with two. What I'd hate to do is to buy another ballast only to find that it's the fixture in the hood, which I doubt. It's lights out in less than an hour so I will not try anymore testing until morning when it's lights on again. Do I even need to worry about this fixture? There's no moving parts or real circuitry in it, that's why I'm assuming it's the ballast. And replacing it will not be cheap.

I just Googled how a ballast works are you able to check a capacitor ? You may be able to fix it or have it repaired cheaply ..

Back
Top Bottom