Quantum meters - led measurements

sfhaze

Lights generally are rated in lumens which matches human perception of brightness. Another method is to measure flux - just count photons like it's rain. Meters to measure light that way are available, like from apogee. They measure ppf photosynthetic photon flux in umol/m^2/s.

In theory, it should be a fair way to compare any light source but I don't know since it counts green photons with the same value as blue ones - better then lumens which counts green ones higher but maybe still not perfect.

I got one and it's pretty usefull to check the light level and distribution before your plants tell you.

Full summer sun = 2000 PPF
Full winter sun = 1200 PPF
Typical hps setup at plant tops = 400 (12 hour average similar to full winter sun)

I measured my LEDs at different points and found
<50 = not enough light, plants stretch don't fill out
50-100 = healthy plants, good level for clones/transplants
100-200 = strong growth and flowering
200-300 = too much light, plants stay short (okay for end of flowering)
>300 = stressed out plants, leaves wrinkle

I checked the grow area that is greater then 100 and it's really more like 6 square feet for my superled (similar to the procon 100). So if a 400W HID gives 400PPF over 10 square feet then my superled is a bit short of that....

Having the more ideal spectrum gives the LEDs maybe a 2X performance advantage in terms of PPF over hid and they are at least 2 times more efficient in terms of photons per watt.

Anyone else have these meters? Please report what measurements you think is "enough" light for veg and flower. Also, please correct anything I've got wrong.

wouldn't you have to cut out some percentage of non plant usable
photon flux to correct for the gap between the two main chlorophyl responses in terms of spectrum for hid to be really physics correct when comparing not sure its been 30 years since i had a physics class and no kids in school to force me to skim their textbooks however i do have lots of darkroom time and commercial greenhouse work so this is a valid topic to me
if i had the $$ i would have posting quantum meter readings a while ago but i just muddle along with a good older german light meter that set nasa standards long time ago good starter thread look forward to real comparable nnumbers if we are all counting photons that our plantsactually get it will make it much easier for new folks tocopy good results consistantly and that is huge for getting pharm quality standards for meds and quantifying organic requirements with our varied light setups....

Back
Top Bottom