Question about DIY clone machine design

KarlJay

I'm following the same layout as 420's setup and I'm getting ready to take some cuts.

Q. How does the water get fresh air?

With the system pretty closed little or no oxy would get in. Maybe a side vent with a curtain/screen to keep water from coming out?

Also, doesn't lack of fresh air actually increase the chance of something bad growing in the water?

I understand that light kills roots, so opening the lid several times a day wouldn't be a good option.

I was also thinking how much of a pain it would be to flush the water. I noticed a PVC ball valve at Home Depot and was thinking you could just use the pump do drain the water out, then pour in some new water.

Maybe you could link to the design in question?
I wanted to post a link to his design, but I can't seem to find that thread, so I'll just post a pic of mine:

If you look close at the pic, you'll see the water is a bunch of streams of water and they are low, if they aren't hitting the roots, they aren't doing anything.

IMG_011826.JPG

Since this pic, I've switched to the Rubermaid brand because it has a flatter top, no holes at the side handles, and seemed stronger.

I took out the Home Depot sprayers and installed the spray/fan type. The Home Depot ones spray flat (low) and you can see it's just a bunch of streams rather than a sheet of water.

I also added two new ones on the center tube, this really makes a difference.

The concerns I have over this design:

1. No fresh air. I think one of those small computer fans on one side and an hole with foam filter on the other would move fresh air thru the tank.

2. No light ever hits the water, this invites growth of unwanted things (no expert, just guessing because that's what happens in nature with ponds) I think this problem is solved with frequent changes of the water.

3. Pain in the neck to change out the water. ... Remove top without getting light on roots (they don't like light), remove the pump & PVC, lift the tub, carry to tub and dump it, fill w/fresh treated water...

3 could be solved with a PVC 'T' and ball valve and could be housed just outside the tank using one of the 'hockey pucks foam disks' as a sealer. Turn on the ball valve, it drains to a bucket, pour in new water.

Another idea for filling, comes from an idea I had for watering the plants. I got my pump at HarborFreight for about $11.00, It came with a valve that would allow controlling flow rate (ball valve). I was thinking to set in a 5 gall water bucket, run a hose with some thin copper tubing, maybe 3/8" and use that to reach the plants. ... this same pump could be used to fill the clone machine.

I add an airstone to mine so that water is oxygenated. A fan wouldn't do anything for the water. Even in a nicely windy area, a pond that doesn't move still turns gross. None moving water is the issue. However, you let a water fall drop into a pond, and walla. The air stone not only keeps the water awesome, but it gives all sorts of oxygen to the roots.

You don't want your roots sitting in water without an air stone.

I also prefer a different design for the pvc. It goes like this. One T section at the top, then two poles going all the way outside the tote. You drill holes for the pvc pipe to exit. You cap off both ends with the pvc caps. You can use rubber glue, pvc glue, or gromits to ceal the pvc int the holes you drilled.

Then you just place like 8 360 sprayers along the line. They spray everything well.

Rubbermaid is the best. They don't leak, unlike others.

Back
Top Bottom