Question about Dr.Earth dry amendments

'Top dressing' is usually means to spread the added material to the top of the soil in a container or on the surface of the soil in an area around a plant being grown in the soil in a garden outside.

The moisture in the soil will wick up and into the top dressing getting it wet and the gardener can water right over it during regular watering times. The watering will help move the water-soluble nutrients into the root zone. The moisture in the top dressing material will allow the micro-organisms to move into it and they will start to process the non-water-soluble nutrients so those too can move into the soil.

That is my take on the situation based on what I have read about the process.
Ok I get that. So basically it doesn’t matter right? Top dress then water or water then top dress. In the end it’s getting water and nutrients. I hope I don’t sound like an idiot

Ok I get that. So basically it doesn’t matter right? Top dress then water or water then top dress. In the end it’s getting water and nutrients. I hope I don’t sound like an idiot
That is the way I have done it when I top-dressed with something. As in, it doesn't matter all that much whether before or after a watering.

When I do top-dress with a fertilize or soil amendment I do like to take a spoon or something similar and scratch up the soil to help mix the top-dressing into the top layer if it is a potted plant. Not necessarily the same day I put the top-dressing down but when the next watering is going to be.

I do the same sort of thing with a 3 or 4 prong cultivator if working around plants grown in the ground. That I do any time.

'Top dressing' is usually means to spread the added material to the top of the soil in a container or on the surface of the soil in an area around a plant being grown in the soil in a garden outside.

The moisture in the soil will wick up and into the top dressing getting it wet and the gardener can water right over it during regular watering times. The watering will help move the water-soluble nutrients into the root zone. The moisture in the top dressing material will allow the micro-organisms to move into it and they will start to process the non-water-soluble nutrients so those too can move into the soil.

That is my take on the situation based on what I have read about the process.
JUST SAYING 1ST TIME TOP DRESSING WATER YOUR SOIL FIRST THEN APPLY TOP DRESSING i ALWAYS DID IT BACKWARDS BEFORE LEARNING THIS (it MAKES SENSE)

I have that also but do you see the major flaw? What do you do if you have a strain that is ready for harvest right at 9 weeks? That’s the earliest I’ve ever harvested myself but I’m seeing that one of the plants will go Atleast 11(bag seed).
This is what I did and if I’m wrong then oh well. Haven’t had a problem yet. I basically traded out the Gold line for the Flowergirl line with my Cherry Pie and White Widow. The bag seed is a monster but not at the developmental stage of the other two so I’ve stuck to the Dr. Earth Feeding Schedule posted above. I top-dressed the CP and WW with a 1/4 cup of Flowergirl at 5 weeks on the nose. Not much info here or the internet as a whole for that matter about Dr. Earth and cannabis. Lots of grow journals and post saying they use it but not much info. I have asked the Dr.Earth crew directly about my concern but I just got a link to the above mentioned schedule. Deep down I know I’ll be ok and knowing I keep an accurate journal so I can learn very quick for the future is positive reinforcement for my very bad OCD. Still baffled why there is not bountiful information about Dr. Earth amendments used with cannabis KNOWING they have a super nice chart!

if you apply after watering better soaking and better aborpation
Yes, I did bring that up as a reason to water before applying the top dressing.

The moisture in the soil will wick up and into the top dressing getting it wet. After that the watering will help move the water-soluble nutrients into the root zone. The moisture in the top dressing material will allow the micro-organisms to move into whatever organic material was used as the dressing and they will start to process the non-water-soluble nutrients so those too can move into the soil.

Hey there Hayron, I've been using DrE as my base nute for 10+ years with real good results.

top dressing leaches the nutes slowly with each watering, and an aerated tea is a quicker boost of microbes also.
If you are using a tea, I wouldn't use it the same time I top dress, but I doubt it would hurt if they say it's ok.
Make them light, a cup per gallon is way to much especially if you are top dressing too.. I use 1/4-1/2 cup depending if I toss other stuff in like worm casting, guano etc.

I rarely top dress, I usually just mix mine in 50% flower 50 veg with the soil and feed a tea about every 3 weeks and water only.
I've used each of them alone throughout the whole grow and still had good results.
I sometimes mix it in layers, half cup flower on the bottom and half cup veg on top. (7g bags)

this is water only, layered and using the swick (bottom water) method, doesn't get much easier, and only about a quart of a light tea mid flowering.

Great looking results. What amounts are you adding direct to soil? What soil are you using and last, what is that covering your soil inside pots?

7g bag, SIP/wick, Black Gold Organic, Dr Earth layered, Bud and Bloom on the bottom, Tomato and Veg top half.
4 weeks 12/12 Vipar XS1500 (150w)

looking good for massive yields - any special bloom boosters'?
nothing
After pre-mixing in Fertilizers are you only using water for the rest of the grow?

I was brewing a DrE tea for a friend so I gave it less than a quart of tea on top a few weeks back and that's it.

OOOOOH sorry, I use 1cup for 7g bag which is a bit light since they recommend a cup for 5g
thats 18 mil per gal in 7g or a heavy tbsp. or almost 4 tsp.

I use either B&B or T&V, either alone or +/- 50/50, what ever's on hand.
I also layer B&B on the bottom and T&V top half with good results.

Back
Top Bottom