Question about going to seed

JayD1980

420 Member
I'm growing a male and female tropical/purple kush also 2 dog patch clones. I'm trying to go to seed since I only had one female kush out of the growth. My question is my male is producing pollen now and I have it between the other 3. If only a few buds get pollinated, will it make the other buds go to seed? Also any recommendations for a name for a strand of tropical purple kush and a strain of dog patch? I was thinking purple hawain dog or dog resting in the sun.

Unless you take deliberate steps to isolate specific buds, most of them will be pollinated, especially if there is any air movement in your tent.

Pollen is lighter than air and can travel significant distances. Any pollen coming in contact with flashy white pistils will likely fertilize them.

You can also assist with a paintbrush moving pollen from the male to the pistils of the female.

If only a few buds get pollinated, will it make the other buds go to seed?

in answer to this exact q,, if only a few buds get pollinated then only the pollinated buds will produce seeds

in answer to this exact q,, if only a few buds get pollinated then only the pollinated buds will produce seeds
Right, but in the case where a mature male is placed between mature females and lets its pollen fly, the chances of a limited pollination are pretty slim.

I don't think you need to worry about a name until you grow that strain out enough to stabilize the genetics to a point where you know what the end result is (approximately anyway)

Just crossing two plants does not make a stable strain.

Also, if you are leaving the male in the same space as the females, all of the flowers will get pollenated. I had a male go off in my room and got seeds in every plant I grew in there for over two years >.> I cleaned everything as well as I could, but somehow there was always more.... Seems to have finally stopped, my last two grows didn't have any seeds thankfully.

Right, but in the case where a mature male is placed between mature females and lets its pollen fly, the chances of a limited pollination are pretty slim.

i am just answering the q,, not speculating on every other situation possible,,

i will leave that for others

All the flowers will likely be pollinated - no others can produce seeds without pollen

Purple Patch?

Purple Patch.. I like the name but it deminishes the dog part of it which is the more dominate name of the strain arrived from

I don't think you need to worry about a name until you grow that strain out enough to stabilize the genetics to a point where you know what the end result is (approximately anyway)

Just crossing two plants does not make a stable strain.

Also, if you are leaving the male in the same space as the females, all of the flowers will get pollenated. I had a male go off in my room and got seeds in every plant I grew in there for over two years >.> I cleaned everything as well as I could, but somehow there was always more.... Seems to have finally stopped, my last two grows didn't have any seeds thankfully.

If only a few buds get pollinated, will it make the other buds go to seed?
Only if they are pollinated. They will not go to seed out of sympathy for the flowers that do get pollinated.

Also any recommendations for a name for a strand of tropical purple kush and a strain of dog patch? I was thinking purple hawain dog or dog resting in the sun.
If you want to name a new strain then I have the feeling that the fewer words the better. Names like "Blue Dream" or "Dog Patch" are easy to remember. But many people will find it harder to remember or say something like "Dog Resting in the Sun".

Personally, I do like that name "Dog Patch" though there are some small towns and restaurants with that name. Plus "Dogpatch" was where Li'l Abner lived if anyone remembers that far back.

Only if they are pollinated. They will not go to seed out of sympathy for the flowers that do get pollinated.

If you want to name a new strain then I have the feeling that the fewer words the better. Names like "Blue Dream" or "Dog Patch" are easy to remember. But many people will find it harder to remember or say something like "Dog Resting in the Sun".

Personally, I do like that name "Dog Patch" though there are some small towns and restaurants with that name. Plus "Dogpatch" was where Li'l Abner lived if anyone remembers that far back.
That made me chuckle SW - maybe it's a UK thing, but a dog patch is a euphemism for a pile of dog do
A Purple Patch is defined in UK dictionaries as 'a run of good form, luck or success'
Just sayin' :passitleft:

That made me chuckle SW - maybe it's a UK thing, but a dog patch is a euphemism for a pile of dog do
A Purple Patch is defined in UK dictionaries as 'a run of good form, luck or success'
Just sayin' :passitleft:
There was a comic strip named Li'l Abner that was in daily newspapers from the mid 1930s to 1977. It was about the people that lived in a small Appalachian Mountains town called Dogpatch. It was printed in newspapers across the world.

From the wiki page for Li'l Abner:
Li'l Abner is a satirical American comic strip that appeared in many newspapers in the United States, Canada and Europe. It featured a fictional clan of hillbillies in the impoverished mountain village of Dogpatch, USA.

This made me laugh out loud. Sympathy seeds would be terrible 😂

Back
Top Bottom