question(s) about dwc/advice:)

purzurples

Hello:)
Grow 1.0 ended abruptly last week when I paranoided out and ate the plant. Yes, it was ONE autoflowering plant that endured every possible form of stress only an experimenting noobie like myself couldve possibly dished out. She endured...and went into her first week of flowering right on schedule, at exactly the fifth week, and at 12 inches (30cm) tall.
Then...a couple of things happened around here, namely outside my house which caused me to seriously freak the fk out. So...I dismantled everything, and......insalata lowryder....not too tasty with the nutes still in it, but I'm proud to be a candidate for the "wierd and wonderful" stories Ive read since I started, lol.(the most interesting of which is the girl vertical aero grower who uses menstral blood as a nute additive).

ANYWAY, I'm hoping for some input on grow2.0.
I was obsessed for a while with building systems. I built a 2x4 ebb and flow table, a 6-site aero/dwc tote with pvc mist manifold etc, and have a bunch of ready-to-go dwc 5Gal buckets. I'm happiest with the idea of using the buckets for some reason it seems like the finest and simplest of systems to me.

So here goes...
I LOVE coir. but can't see how it could be used in an ebbFlow table. after flooding the table, like, ALL of the coir gets washed out of the containers. Even if the coir is inside a "stocking" it's still messy.
Tried aero, and now I know why it is considered so hard to maintain. IMO, if you're doing aero you NEED a tri-meter because that thing was all over the place with temps, ph and the plants were like: "dude, get me out of this fking thing."
After all that systems-building, the girl wound up in a store-bought 1 Gallon container of coir, and I felt that plant say "ahhh, man, thanks, its so comfy in here". She grew sweetly in it (until she became lunch of course).

I'm set on a 5Gallon DWC bucket with a commercial air pump and a micropore stone. in the net lid of the bucket: lava rocks at the bottom, and coir at the top. It'll be non-redirculating.

I imagine DWC is very efficient speedwise bec the roots will have constant access to all the food they need and will have huge supply of oxygen.
Best nutes for a DWC?
Got a favorite link of DWC pics?
How the heck does a recirc DWC do the recirc?

Thanks for reading my story :thanks:
Psyched for 2.0

HAHA dude why?

What made you want to eat the poor girl ?

Jokes!

I have done some grows soil , dwc both published .... SORT OF! :p lol
Not to good with the jurnals woops.
i have also done some others unpublished this last year and been realy successfull (ebb n flow)

Dwc is good fast growth big strong plants with nice yeilds i did one plant in a meter square screen (SOG) and yeilded 9.5 oz of dried man buds.

There are cons of dwc one being that yeah ur right the roots are always in the res so if you ever have any fluctuation of ph or res temp it can end very quick DWC can be very unforgiving!!

I think you have 2 options for an easy grow one keep it to pots and soil or ebb and flow using hydroton you can have your seperate res for your nutes you can check adjust and then flood the ladies for me its a fool proof plan!

Good luck!

Keeping the res and the roots in separate places is definitely needed.
Yet I was so set on DWC buckets but I have no idea how people who are using bubble buckets are handling their nutrient situation: lifting the damn lid off every time they need to check their ph/ppm etc. And especially when something has to be adjusted: where the hell do you put the PLANT!?
Then ya put the plant straight back into the bucket five minutes after adjusting the fking nutrients?

Ebb-n-flow: while you were sleeping, your timer flooded the table with nutes that have off pH and hydroton muck in it.
If I'm gonna be monitoring the plants five times a day, why automate the flooding of the table?

It's because I have huge holes in what I know that I will probably not do a grow at all for a pretty long while.
Just got to clear all of it out of my assinine excuse for a brain.

There is too much I don't know and spending 2 months of life performing "fkup part 2" isn't worth it. Hurts? YES.
I respect you guys for knowing what you know and doing what you do.
But for now, I just feel a hella lot better just letting it alll go...ahhh...
Bye all, have a happy.

Keeping the res and the roots in separate places is definitely needed.
Yet I was so set on DWC buckets but I have no idea how people who are using bubble buckets are handling their nutrient situation: lifting the damn lid off every time they need to check their ph/ppm etc. And especially when something has to be adjusted: where the hell do you put the PLANT!?
Then ya put the plant straight back into the bucket five minutes after adjusting the fking nutrients?

There are several ways to handle it. I grow 2 plants in a 10-12 gallon tub, usually two tubs in the flower room. I have a door cut in the top, so I can reach in when needed, but rarely do. For pH, PPM, and res temp, I have a continuous running meter to measure that (one tub has an extra pH continuous meter). I put in my tubs a bottom bulkhead fitting for easy draining.

If there are problems there are ways to make it work, or to make it easier. Good luck on how you choose to grow.

Nice journals, prairie. I will not be growing anything though.
First I have to get over the fact that I just spent 3 months building 4 different systems that are apparently all wrong.

The systems may be fine, you need to pick one, and then try it once or twice (or more) to figure out the best way to utilize it. Different strains respond to each setup in a unique fashion sometimes. You need to work out some bugs for each. May as well grow(try to ) vs just reading for the next couple months. Just do a plant to start with, keep it simple. Do you have any other plant growing experience? Tomatoes, peppers, flowers....it all helps....not essential, but it helps. Keep it simple--if you can't grow something, anything in dirt, I don't think you can grow it in hydro (any type). What we grow here is called weed for a reason, that's what it grows like given a little concern. Don't give up before you start, or give advice like that to other growers. It's pretty easy to get a 4 to 1 return on your investment w/ a little care and some help from the thousands of peeps here.

Back
Top Bottom