Cocos to DWC?

Crackpothead

420 Member
Can I start my veg in cocos and then move to DWC when it's time to flip?

I've outgrown my DWC set up in the veg stage three times but would really like to benefit from the nutrient rich environment during flowering as well as the ventilation system of my set up*. Stealth is paramount. I would like to start my grow in a cocos filled half liter/ 2 cup non woven seedling bag in a cabinet so I can top and train the plant and grow it to the right height before flipping it. I'll want to flip early due to height considerations. Normally I would expect it to double in size after flipping, but I'm worried that it my exceed this in DWC.

Have you tried starting in cocos for germination and veg and then moving to DWC for flowering and if so what were the results?
Did your plant grow huge once introduced to DWC?
Did you notice an improvement in bud size or strength or yield?
Would it be shocking for the plant to go into DWC for the flip? (FYI the grow bag is a nonwoven seedling bag filled with coco coir. Before the roots reach the edge of the bag, the cocos bag would be placed in my DWC mesh pot and half submerged in the oxygen/nutrient rich water and the lights would be switched to 12/12. )

*[My set up is a variation on a space bucket. I have a 30l mason bucket for a reservoir and a 120l rain water barrel sitting on top. There’s a hole in the bottom of the barrel for the plant. The barrel is lined with Mylar and side strip grow lights and the lid has two 50w led COBs mounted on heatsinks and computer fans secured to the inside of the lid. One light/fan combo is attached to my carbon filter which is situated outside the barrel on top of the lid. I have one side port for air intake and a circulation fan and access to the lower region.

I have grown with this method 4 times before: three Dwc and one coco coir. The three Dwc saw explosive veg growth with tragic results. The coco grow was a royal Jack auto and grew into a fine short plant (40cm) that put out 35g dried.]

would have to have eyes on the set up. it doesn't sound promising. a swick style would work better if you go that route. in dwc you have to have the plant in the net pot early, the roots have to extend into the water. submerging a fabric pot even partially is only going to drown the plant or promote root rot.

if you want to keep dwc in the space bucket try photos on a 12/12 schedule right from sprout. they'll stay smaller and start flower as soon as they hit the fifth node.

if you want to keep dwc in the space bucket try photos on a 12/12 schedule right from sprout. they'll stay smaller and start flower as soon as they hit the fifth node.
Going this route, do you recommend putting the sprout , from the get-go, in full bloom nutes, half bloom nutes, veg nutes or no nutes?

Going this route, do you recommend putting the sprout , from the get-go, in full bloom nutes, half bloom nutes, veg nutes or no nutes?

feed it according to it's development. feed levels change all through the grow if done correct.

Back
Top Bottom