• Rockwool

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • Others, What?

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used ready gro plugs once and I had issues later in the grow and removed them. They were my clones and rooted great but I don't think the hydro tank liked them all that well. They are used for hydro but that was my experience. Here is a bit of the info on them.

A sponge like material, all natural soilless grow plugs are made of composted tree bark and organic materials. Biodynamic plugs are perfect for seedlings or cuttings.

Rockwool is and always will be my weapon of choice.
I use it for aeroponic cloning with 100% success each and every time. RW does not break apart and clog sprayers, holds the perfect amount of moisture and is very easy to set the ph especially with Super Soak.
It easily transplants to other mediums in soil or hydro too although I have never used it with coir. Plus it's cheaper. 100 cubes for $9 is a great deal.

Here's a pic of my clones bustin' out of the rw in as little as 8 days. RW is used for my clones so that i can run my pump on a timer. Doing this eliminates heat from the pump yet still keeps the clones at optimal moisture levels. No humidity dome is used and the clones are never misted at any time.

100_1022.JPG

ROCKWOOL CUBES

I have been collecting info on rockwool cubes a long time. Let me share what I have learned.

Rockwool comes with a warning label, like abestos, to not handle it dry, because it has carcegens in it, or can cause cancer IF you breathe in enough of it's dust.
SO, you do need to really soak it A LONG TIME to handle it, but it will only take a minute to soak it and make it safe from DUST flying around. It will take a few hours or more to soak it to adjust it's pH.

The instructions on rockwool sent with the SH Deep Water Culture Kit says to leave the plastic on. That is because they fear for our safety and do not wANt us exposed to carcegens. I remove the plastic but I do soak it. I butt the tube into the side of it when I prepare my cups.

YOU TOO SHOULD REMOVE THE PLASTIC FROM ROCKWOOL CUBES.

Rockwool is probably the most popular growing medium on earth. Rockwool was originally used as insulation and was called "Mineral Insulation". It was developed for gardening in Hydroponics in Denmark and is used extensively around the world for "Drip-Style" hydroponic systems.

Rockwool is made by melting a combination of rock and sand and then spinning the mixture to make fibers which are formed into different shapes and sizes. The process is very similar to making cotton candy. The shapes vary from 1"x1"x1" starter cubes up to 3"x12"x36" slabs, with many sizes in between, which makes rockwool one of the most versatile growing mediums.
The advantages to rockwool are many, however there are several disadvantages to this type of growing medium as well. The pros and cons are listed below.

Advantages of Rockwool

RETAINS WATER - Rockwool holds an incredible amount of water which gives you a "buffer" against power outages and pump (or timer) failure. You want your rock wool saturated and it saturates well, plus it holds air too.

HOLDS AIR
- Rockwool holds at least 18 % air at all times (unless it is sitting directly in water), which supplies the root zone with plenty of oxygen. This means that it is practically impossible to over-water rockwool.

COMES IN A VARIETY OF SIZES AND SHAPES - From 1" cubes designed for use in propagation, to 3"x12"x36" slabs capable of holding the root systems of huge plants, rockwool comes in dozens of shapes and sizes making it a versatile growing medium. Rockwool also comes "Loose" so you can fill pots or containers of any size.

CLEAN AND CONVENIENT - Rockwool holds together very well so it can't spill. Rockwool also comes wrapped in plastic, which makes it easy to handle and keeps evaporation to a minimum.

Disadvantages to Rockwool

NOT ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY - Rockwool is hard to dispose of, if buried it will last indefinitely.

DUST AND FIBERS ARE A HEALTH RISK - The fibers and dust from the rockwool are bad for your lungs. Wear a dust mask when handling it dry, to prevent problems. Soaked and Saturated, it is safe.

possible pH PROBLEMS if not pre-soaked - Rockwool has a high pH which means you have to adjust your nutrient solution low so that the root zone is neutral. Pre-Soaking it in 4.5 to 5.0 water is very much advised.

Getting Started with Rockwool

Before you use rockwool you must first soak it in water adjusted to a pH of 4.5 to 5.0. To soak rockwool cubes use a bucket or other water tight container, just put the cubes in the water and let them float around. To soak the rockwool slabs cut a hole in the bag around the slab and pour in pH adjusted water until the slab is totally saturated, let soak for up to 8 hours to be safe. Then cut drainage slits in the bottom.

Using Cubes

Rockwool cubes come in many different sizes. There are two sizes of "starter cubes" that are designed for propagation. The 1" x 1" x 1 1/2" and the 2" x 2" x 1 1/2" cubes are not wrapped in plastic and are normally used for starting seeds. The 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" cubes are wrapped on four sides with plastic to slow evaporation and are used primarily for taking cuttings.
The 3" and 4" cubes can be used as the primary growing medium or in conjunction with other growing mediums. For small plants a large cube may be all the growing medium that you need. For larger plants these cubes are used as an intermediate medium that gets transplanted into a different type of growing medium as the plants grow.

Damn I had no idea about the carcegens in rockwool. You got me all worried now lol. Thanks for the heads up roseman;)

I use rockwool for all my grows. I did use the rapid rooters for a while and was not so happy with results and swiched back to rockwool.

In an earlier grow I had cloned some white widows and super lemon haze and threw them into a dome with rockwool. About a week and half later I realized my garden was short a few plants and thats when I remembered the clones. It had totally slipped my mind about the clones. I ran over the the cabinet and jerked the door open. They were still alive and the roots were over 3 inches long crawling on the bottom of the dome. Needless to say the most beauiful sight I ever saw. The rockwool was still a tad moist.

I knew right then and there I was a rockwool man for life! :)

CGs

I use the other. The sure to grow stuff. I have read alot before getting into hydro about a year and a half ago. With that being said I have no way of comparing. But in that time I have not had any problems with PH or anything. no conditioning prior either.

I was heartened to see the Pit Viper uses root riot. I just bought some root riot cubes myself and started a couple of seeds to see how it would do. So far.....excellent. I soaked the root riot cubes for ~ 24 hours and the seeds for ~ 16 hours.

After 16 hours soaking, the seeds had already developed tap roots that were ~ 1/16" to 1/8" long. Transferring the seeds to root riot could not of been any easier. The next day I could see one ready to "pop thru". 2 days later it sprouted the cots. The other seed was ready to pop the following day (yesterday) and I expect to see the cots tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed, but so far much better than the soak, paper towel, transfer to perlite method I was using before. And, I don't have to worry about overwatering my seeds. The root riot cubes drain beautifully. Hopefully, they will readily adapt to my hydro system.

Searcher

I was heartened to see the Pit Viper uses root riot. I just bought some root riot cubes myself and started a couple of seeds to see how it would do. So far.....excellent. I soaked the root riot cubes for ~ 24 hours and the seeds for ~ 16 hours.

After 16 hours soaking, the seeds had already developed tap roots that were ~ 1/16" to 1/8" long. Transferring the seeds to root riot could not of been any easier. The next day I could see one ready to "pop thru". 2 days later it sprouted the cots. The other seed was ready to pop the following day (yesterday) and I expect to see the cots tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed, but so far much better than the soak, paper towel, transfer to perlite method I was using before. And, I don't have to worry about overwatering my seeds. The root riot cubes drain beautifully. Hopefully, they will readily adapt to my hydro system.

Searcher
they are PIMP. dont soak them.....tear the plug open down the side.
put seed in 1/2"...put plugs in your seedling tray . fill the tray with water to the top and pour off the excess..put dome on...you saved 24 hrs....

I really believe WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU is what WORKS BEST FOR YOU!

There are so many different ways to GERMINATE, to CLONE, to FEED etc, and consider the diference between LIGHTS, Flouros vs HID, and SOIL vs HYDRO, and the many different ways to do HYDRO, or to do SOIL, we all just have to experiment, try difference things and see what works best for us. And often it is not so much the METHOD as it is the grower and his experience with different methods.

I applaud Pit Viper and Dean Moriarty and those that have experimented and used difference procedures and methods adn grow mediums.
I am not a big experimenter, and my methods are not varied or as broad as many growers here. I believe Rockwool led this poll simply because it is the most recommended in books and forums, and not because it is really the absolute best. I also think PRICE is a determining factor.

I really believe WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU is what WORKS BEST FOR YOU!

There are so many different ways to GERMINATE, to CLONE, to FEED etc, and consider the diference between LIGHTS, Flouros vs HID, and SOIL vs HYDRO, and the many different ways to do HYDRO, or to do SOIL, we all just have to experiment, try difference things and see what works best for us. And often it is not so much the METHOD as it is the grower and his experience with different methods.

I applaud Pit Viper and Dean Moriarty and those that have experimented and used difference procedures and methods adn grow mediums.
I am not a big experimenter, and my methods are not varied or as broad as many growers here. I believe Rockwool led this poll simply because it is the most recommended in books and forums, and not because it is really the absolute best. I also think PRICE is a determining factor.

I totaly agree Roseman.....there are numerous ways of growing and germinating...countless...I tried them all....I like what I like.....but there is no wrong way....as long as it grows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom