Regulate Marijuana Like Wine?

Jacob Bell

Supporters are gathering signatures for an initiative that would decriminalize marijuana in California for those older than 21. The measure, dubbed the Regulate Marijuana Like Wine Act, would tax and regulate the cultivation, production and sale of cannabis using grape and wine industry standards. [CaliforniaWatch]

"We're taking something that's unregulated and we're replacing it with a known successful program implemented by the California alcohol beverage control board," said co-author Steve Kubby, who also helped draft and promote Proposition 215, California's first medical cannabis law, to California Watch. "We know it works great with wine. It's already in place."

The measure, as it is currently written, would allow the state to tax people selling cannabis products under state rules that currently apply to wine and other alcoholic beverages, with an exception for hemp products.

"If you're going to treat it like wine, you have to have an exemption for people who make their own wine or make their own cannabis," Kubby said to California Watch. "Now, if they sell it, then they have to pay tax on it. The intent really is for your own stash at home."

The initiative also bars state government and law enforcement officials from assisting the federal government in prosecuting individuals for marijuana use or cultivation, California Watch added.

"We all understand that federal law will trump state law in this regard," said Jim Gray, a former judge and co-author of the measure. "So we're telling the federal government, 'We know you can enforce it, but if you're going to, you have to do it by yourself. And by the way, you're going to have to come to a jury of Californians, and I think getting a conviction would be problematic.' "

The initiative states that it would "not repeal, modify, or change" medical marijuana laws.

"We're not touching anything that goes on with medical," Kubby said to California Watch. "That stays the way it is. We don't touch that. If it's a medical grow and they sell to a dispensary, that's outside of our initiative."

abb36.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: calcoastnews.com
Copyright: Cal Coast News

Again! Thank you Mr. Jacob Ebel!
“So we’re telling the federal government, ‘We know you can enforce it, but if you’re going to, you have to do it by yourself. And by the way, you’re going to have to come to a jury of Californians, and I think getting a conviction would be problematic.’ ”

This put the biggest grin on my face! :)

Nothing authored or supported by STEVE KUBBY should be believed or trusted. He has lied about being a part author of PROP 215, Has dodged the law running away to Canada, among other devious associations. This man is a liar and a cheat. He can hardly even author his own name let alone a bill for voting on anything. RD :high-five::high-five::high-five:

Mr. RD, I do not know anything about this fellow Steve Kubby... But I am trying to figure out if you are insinuating that he is lying about this bill? In term of his involvement? How did he lie about being part of prop 215?

Not wanting to start an argument. I just am genuinely curious. It seems you have very strong feelings toward him... In the negative.

If it wouldn't be 'topic relevant', please PM me this information. I am curious as to your statement of 'dodged the law running to canada' remark. The context around it, of course. I remember my father telling me that many people went north to avoid the draft. But I assume people flee there for other legal reasons... But I remember hearing that many raced to the north to escape Vietnam.

It makes me wonder, because it seems you are denouncing him while he is trying to aid our common cause... I understand if he is a sleaze ball.. No one wants to be, or have their beloved movements, associated with people of ill moral.

Is it possible that he has made mistakes in the past and is now different? Maybe I will wikipedia him and learn a little. I still would appreciate a PM if you have the time. Friendly discussion of course! I have no opinion of this fellow, and am not trying to defend him! I am just seeking knowledge from those wiser than myself in politics and its players..

The more I learn, the more I realize how necessary standing up for our rights is. I really hope to be one of many that help bring sanity to our country... Sanity that seems to be present in the bill in the article. If even one state could show that cannabis being legalized isn't going to bring upon ragnarok... We would all have that much more hope. We would be one step out of fifty to our dream!

An other sham to make money off marijuana users! I will never vote for taxing or regulation of marijuana! Marijuana is a gift from God! It should be decriminalized, but not taxed or regulated ever! It is food and medicine!

Everything is taxed and regulated if it's sold. If it's sold as a food, it's not taxed but still regulated. If it's sold as a smoke product it's taxed and regulated. Don't sell it, no problem.

Even during alcohol prohibition vineyards were allowed to sell grapes mail order, and they'd include instructions of what 'not to do' to avoid turning the grapes into wine. Even senators were making their own wine at home during prohibition. Go to timemagazine.com to their archives and search the years of prohibition, you'll find all issues available online, scroll through the articles of each issue for prohibition. Very interesting. Alcohol was also prescribed as a medicine during prohibition.

Yes... then we will see what the feds do. Angain the warning has been sent and if this passes with bring a shit storm. Until it is changed at the fed level this will land alot of people in jail. The raids are still coming.

Back
Top Bottom