Research for comparison to tea plant development

John Siam

420 Member
Seems odd posting this here, but suggestions from others on the forum indicated this question might get better response in the more related part of this forum.

I'm doing research on plant breeding for a tea blog article, and want to compare it to marijuana plant development. I really just need input from one right person, so I'm here to find that person.

For example, I read content on here from Robert Connell Clarke, and he could go a lot further than answering a half dozen relevant questions, it's just a matter of making contact with such a person and them wanting to help out.

As an example of what information might be helpful, Canyon (a member here) already mentioned that it takes about six generations to stabilize a new plant type cross. Really that's not a great example because it's too functional, too detailed, and one article would really skim along some surface issues related to breeding / strain development, using prior issues that came up within tea themed research as a starting point. I wrote an intro the blog post already, a draft that will change, and posted it to that other thread here in the "introduce yourself" section, so I could copy that post over to this thread if that helps.

Maybe an example will help. I recently wrote a post about diversity in a tea cultivar always seen as just one type, related to teas supposedly originating from five existing, original plants:

Tea in the ancient world: The Real Da Hong Pao

The right person knows how much sense that makes; how much genetic diversity there could be within five related plants, and how much sense it makes for separate cultivars / strains to be derived from one plant each, or problems related to that. Other articles talk about lists of cultivars already developed in Taiwan, per my understanding as part of an original Japanese tea plant identification and breeding program during occupation in the last century:

Tea in the ancient world: Jin Xuan Taiwanese oolong from May Zest tea, and more about cultivars

One might wonder, it's great that some of this information could help others know more about their own separate chosen area of interest, but what's in it for the person that helps out? Probably not much; exposure, but not such that would be likely to help in any way. One might think, it doesn't seem likely to work to sweep in and draw out some ideas from one field to inform another, it's too broad. Maybe. But I've done the same last year, related to comparing chocolate tasting and evaluation to the process used for tea (although not much overlap with marijuana there, perhaps):

Tea in the ancient world: Comparing tea and chocolate tasting based on the Ultimate Chocolate Blog input

Amazing information I've read here so far, by the way, much respect to the people that have contributed what I've read already. I won't be able to get marijuana breeding the recognition it deserves for horticulture progress but I can share a little more exposure with a few hundred more people, or maybe more, depending on how it works out.

There isn't much to update, but it occurred to me to update anyway. I found two people, both essentially different kinds of experts, that tentatively agreed to help with this, to provide input.

Per a bit of discussion I started the article, with the context and framing section more or less completed, and the input section narrowed to specific questions. But I never did get the input back.

I'm still a bit hopeful, it might work out, but it's not looking so good. It always had been a bit of a stretch, really. Hopefully I can update again that it actually did work out.

Back
Top Bottom