REVIEW: Sun System 150W HPS System

I guess I need to get a Kill-a-Watt. I run old school and pull wires out and take amp draws on all my stuff, not typically with a Kill-a-Watt. I will have to pick one up soon.

I don't think you really need one, I read some place that the amp * volt usually works except for some rare cases, like this sun system 150w.

Other ballast, usually, have the correct listing. I got the store owner to test a 600w digital and they were almost perfect for the amp volt rating. They usually list like 600w/120 amps on that ballast. Unlike magnetic which says the volt and amps.

Hey finally got it today! they really package it great not a dent.

BTW UPS really sucks I am completely done with them. Package had wrong address but that was my fault I guess not checking what ebay was giving for address.
Then I called and they said they couldnt change it they have to deliver to wrong address luckily the address it had didnt exist then they try to deliver it when Im not home so I call to see if I can pick it up they say sure but its going to go to this ups location 1 hour away from my house. So I say well theres one here about five minutes away but no I cant pick it up there she says...
So I keep trying to get her to send it there and she gets very rude and hangs up on me after saying it has to go to the ups center it originated from. This doesnt make sense obviously but whatever .

Today I take the one hour drive down there like a good ups customer and they tell me nope "we dont have it its at the other location near you house. and that lady says you drove all the way down here?"...No I walked =/ of course I did.

So I call UPS one more time just to make sure its there and a very unsympathetic Jethro tells me "yeppers sure is there"... So I say something about the woman who told me it was going to this location when it really went to that location and he say. "yah I dont really care do you need something else?"
I said "yah I need something else you *&^% ^&%$ mother&^%$" then I hung up.

Anyways Sun Coast Hydro has great customer service and UPS needs a dictionary to find out what customer service is

I guess I need to get a Kill-a-Watt. I run old school and pull wires out and take amp draws on all my stuff, not typically with a Kill-a-Watt. I will have to pick one up soon.

Yes the box says it uses 165 watts the 400 scared me a bit I might get another one then lol :peace:

It is a nice little light. I was extremely bright while using it in my office.

I have several more review coming up:
-Lumatek Ballast
-Yield Master Reflector
-Sun Blaze T5 Lighting

ya man....i use the "SUN BLAZE 48" T5 light on my grow here on this site....its under my name and says "hydro grow...purps...whole bedroom grow"........it spiten out 40.000 lumens and i can let em go within 2 inches of this bad baby and NO burn whatsever!!!!!!......it has turned my one SATIVA from seed to an 11 footer and the other is 10 foot .......cant wait to see the reveiw............PEACE :popcorn:

Hey finally got it today! they really package it great not a dent.

BTW UPS really sucks I am completely done with them. Package had wrong address but that was my fault I guess not checking what ebay was giving for address.
Then I called and they said they couldnt change it they have to deliver to wrong address luckily the address it had didnt exist then they try to deliver it when Im not home so I call to see if I can pick it up they say sure but its going to go to this ups location 1 hour away from my house. So I say well theres one here about five minutes away but no I cant pick it up there she says...
So I keep trying to get her to send it there and she gets very rude and hangs up on me after saying it has to go to the ups center it originated from. This doesnt make sense obviously but whatever .

Today I take the one hour drive down there like a good ups customer and they tell me nope "we dont have it its at the other location near you house. and that lady says you drove all the way down here?"...No I walked =/ of course I did.

So I call UPS one more time just to make sure its there and a very unsympathetic Jethro tells me "yeppers sure is there"... So I say something about the woman who told me it was going to this location when it really went to that location and he say. "yah I dont really care do you need something else?"
I said "yah I need something else you *&^% ^&%$ mother&^%$" then I hung up.

Anyways Sun Coast Hydro has great customer service and UPS needs a dictionary to find out what customer service is

Thanks for the support!

We are here to help. The number one thing I can not stand is poor customer service. I strive for this to be my number one goal.

Hey Sun Coast thanks for the review. Right now i'm vegging with cfl and I'm going to order the Sun System 150 hps for flowering. My grow room is exactly 2'x2', so the Sun System seems perfect.

Hey Sun Coast thanks for the review. Right now i'm vegging with cfl and I'm going to order the Sun System 150 hps for flowering. My grow room is exactly 2'x2', so the Sun System seems perfect.

Would you consider running a grow journal here? That's a cheap, self-contained light and it might be well within the budget of a person who has wanted to grow, but is hesitant to spend a lot of money when just starting out. At ~16,000 lumen, it's probably roughly comparable to having ~300 watts' worth of CFLs (but with somewhat better penetration-ability).

And, although it would work for a four square foot grow, it'd probably be best (on its own) in a three square foot area. So you might find it useful to supplement it with some of the CFLs that you are currently using in the vegetative phase. Are you using 6500K bulbs? If so... Many feel that it's useful to add up to 25% (of like-strength illumination) of "vegetative spectrum" lighting to the <3000K flowering lighting. So, 75 to 100 watts of 6500K CFLs spaced evenly around the canopy? That would boost your total illumination and it would seem to have the added benefit of giving you shorter internodes.

hello tortured soul:

thanks for taking the time for an informative reply.

my grow journal is here: Rex Buenavista's Grow Journal, Day 3.

i'm only 6 days into it total. what light would you recommend for my flowering stage? that sun system price is very attractive.

also, i live on a small tropical island far away from any sophisticated hydro stores, i don't have access to any kind of hydro stuff or fancy nutes or anything. i have to be very, very stealthy in acquiring things, so i do quite a bit of research before i make any web purchases.

thanks for your interest!

rex.

Small tropical islands have a lot to be said for them.

Thank you for posting a link to your new grow. I do not know what help I will be, but will be happy to go along for the ride. +REPs and good luck!

As I mentioned, in a small grow like yours, a lower-wattage HPS - especially when supplemented with something like a few CFLs in the ~6500K/blue range for spectral-balancing and to add a little bit more illumination becomes very feasible. Keep in mind that lights such as those don't have a great deal of penetration-ability, so you wouldn't wish to grow trees, but if you can keep the height down that won't be a factor.

I do not know your island's situation, but if electrical rates are expensive, lower-wattage lights would be a plus for that reason as well. And for a first grow, a smaller one is likely to be easier to manage - and to be able to understand what's going on, and why.

I confess that I do not know enough about LED lighting to have any useful advice at this time - although I'm trying to learn.

You mentioned that your situation is not favorable to growing cannabis. You might look at the General Hydroponics brand of nutrients. They are not a cannabis-specific nutrient line. In fact, they are used to some degree in many different areas around the world (including Antarctica and in orbit) for various things including food production. If there is reason to be wary of unwanted attention, perhaps it would be helpful to get into the hobby/food side of indoor cultivation with an eye towards setting up a separate grow of that type; it really is an enjoyable hobby and might one day serve as a blind for any other types of growing that you find yourself doing, lol.

I commend you on going with our sponsors for your shopping needs, and would double-REP you if I could. They help pay the site's bills.

I just purchased a Sun Systems 150w HPS fixture..so far I am totally:thumb: pleased with it.I don't know about all the wattage and stuff but from a grower's view the plants love it.

I'm almost 5 weeks into flower using this light from start to finish. As a first time grower I'm very happy with the results so far. My girls have loved it from day 1.

My only complaint is that it does get very warm so ample ventilation is required.

Back
Top Bottom