Right Light Height

Ganja Goose

I'm preparing for my 3rd round of flowering. I am growing in a 5x5 tent with 400w LED and am growing in promix with AN nutrients. In the previous grow I had established my light height using a cheaper multifunctional sensor. Thought I had about 600-700 PAR level on my veg canopy and the light was at 36' above canopy.

I recently discovered some PAR map data for this specific light, not from the manufacturer, but from growers on youtube using the Apogee meter. As a result I lowered my lights from 36" above the canopy (and 75% power) to 29" above the canopy (and 100% power) to achieve the 600-700 PAR levels.

The plants definitely responded negatively to the additional light. Temps increased slightly in the tent to around 27C but well within limits. From what I've read I think I need to give them time to adjust to the new light intensity. Do you think that is the correct response or should I be reversing the change?

Any info would be appreciated

GG

growtent2.jpg

growtent3.jpg

growtent4.jpg

growtent5.jpg

meter.jpg

I'm preparing for my 3rd round of flowering. I am growing in a 5x5 tent with 400w LED and am growing in promix with AN nutrients. In the previous grow I had established my light height using a cheaper multifunctional sensor. Thought I had about 600-700 PAR level on my veg canopy and the light was at 36' above canopy.

I recently discovered some PAR map data for this specific light, not from the manufacturer, but from growers on youtube using the Apogee meter. As a result I lowered my lights from 36" above the canopy (and 75% power) to 29" above the canopy (and 100% power) to achieve the 600-700 PAR levels.

The plants definitely responded negatively to the additional light. Temps increased slightly in the tent to around 27C but well within limits. From what I've read I think I need to give them time to adjust to the new light intensity. Do you think that is the correct response or should I be reversing the change?

Any info would be appreciated

GG

growtent2.jpg

growtent3.jpg

growtent4.jpg

growtent5.jpg

meter.jpg
Hey Ganga beautiful room your have there. Throw away that meter for soil. Doesn’t work and will confuse you. When my girls are in veg and I want them to grow I drop my light right down
And any adverse reaction is usually gone in a day or two. Once they acclimate they should start growing fast.
Not sure about your light meter
But once you flip to flower your going to need as much light energy as you can give them.

Hey Ganga beautiful room your have there. Throw away that meter for soil. Doesn’t work and will confuse you. When my girls are in veg and I want them to grow I drop my light right down
And any adverse reaction is usually gone in a day or two. Once they acclimate they should start growing fast.
Not sure about your light meter
But once you flip to flower your going to need as much light energy as you can give them.
Thanks for the feedback @Bill284

I really like the setup - now just to get some experience with growing! I'm doing everything I can to avoid dropping $600 for a bloody light meter lol

GG

Howdy do. Looking fantabulous:thumb:
And again. Smash that meter up with an axe. I had one and they are no good. Even the pH setting is way off. I downloaded a light meter app on my phone. It gives you a rough idea , still nowhere near as accurate as a professional one. But it's a million times better than those green 3 way meters

Ditto on what Bill284 & squiggles have said - Those probe meters are useless in the garden - they are best used as double marshmallow or hotdog roasters. Think you can get decent light meter for $25ish on the Zon site
Hey @013 good to hear from you - its been awhile. Hope all is well with you. Ya the green hot dog roaster is destined for the garbage. I think I'll try the lux meter and just do the calculation.

Best cheap light meter is just a LUX meter, they are around $20.
Then take that reading to a Lux to PPFD calculator, pick your spectrum and convert to PPFD.
May not be nearly as accurate as a $500+ Apogee but its close enough.
thank you @Nunyabiz I'm going to give that a try I think. I'm just hoping for now I didn't do any permanent damage

Back
Top Bottom