?'s on being a designated caregiver in Wa.

jordans357

First off i just wanted to thank everyone on this site for their vast info and knowledge, ive learned a ton from other threads and aclu of wa.

I plan on becoming a "designated care provider" for my niece that was paralyzed a lil over a year ago in a motorcycle accident and i want to be sure and get as many tips on staying within the fine print and grey areas of wa. state laws and regs for medicinal growing. She has her green card will appoint me as her designated care provider. I no longer smoke so that shouldn't be an issue. i'm clear on the amount restrictions being no more then 15 plants (total) or no more then 24oz at one time. So my ?'s are these....

A. do i need to "register" as a medicinal provider thus putting myself under the spotlight?

B. are their any fire arm restrictions for the residence that the medicine is cultivated in?

C. size requirements for the grow room

d. equipment restrictions for the grow

Some of these ?'S may be a bit silly but in my experience its always the stupid lil shit things that people commonly overlook that the cops love to use.

Any input would be great guys :thanks:

First off I commend you for being willing to help out your niece.

A. do i need to "register" as a medicinal provider thus putting myself under the spotlight?

yes

B. are their any fire arm restrictions for the residence that the medicine is cultivated in?

i would guess yes since there are federal laws about firearms and drugs. but its just a guess.

guess: would depend on amount needed for six month supply

guess: perhaps meeting local codes for electricity etc.

i can't answer all of your questions but perhaps by using the contacts below you can find more specific answers.
--------------------------------------
Caregivers

Many patients find themselves too ill or ill-equipped to grow their medicine themselves and instead place the growing responsibilities with a primary caregiver. The law defines primary caregiver as a person who is:

a. 18 or older;
b. Responsible for the housing, health, or care of the patient;
c. Designated in writing by a patient to perform the duties of primary caregiver; and
d. A caregiver to only one patient at a time.

RCW 69.51A.010(2)(a)-(c)

Additionally, the caregiver must, if confronted by law enforcement, present a copy of her patient's recommendation, as well as evidence that she has been designated the patient's primary caregiver. The caregiver may not possess more marijuana than is necessary for her patient's sixty-day supply, nor may the caregiver consume any of the marijuana intended for the patient's sixty-day supply.

RCW 69.51A.040(4)(a)-(d)

It is particularly important that you be sure the caregiver is responsible for more than just acquiring medicine—if acquiring and administering medicine is the caregiver’s sole responsibility, he won’t be protected by the law. Also, be careful that the language in the written statement is not conditional; an appeals court recently upheld the conviction of a caregiver because his designation statement said that he would be the patient’s caregiver if the patient became unable to care for himself .

If you want further information, you may want to contact the following organizations:
Green Cross Patient Advocates: (206) 766-8155
The State of Medical Marijuana in Washington: CannabisMD : Home

Source: Becoming a Patient in Washington - Archive

ASA Chapters and Affiliates
Eastern Washington

Kemp
Kemp_l@hotmail.com
Local Organizations

Washington State Department of Health
P.O. Box 47890
Olympia, WA 98504-7890
(800) 525-0127 or (360) 236-4052
Attention: Glenda Moore
www.doh.wa.gov

Here's my understanding of the MMJ caregiver laws here in Washington.

No. But you do need a signed statement from your patient that you are her legal caretaker. There are no "registering" requirements in Washongton.

No. Not state but there can be federal restrictions. In your case there should never be a reason for the feds to become involved.

None.

None. Just be sure to check to make sure you have enough amperage in your power box to not overload a circuit. Not really an issue usually unless you live in an old home.

Back
Top Bottom