SB 388 Stormy's Bill gets even WORSE! Hearing Monday

Stoney Girl

Madfingers posted this draft in another forum. For those of you that don't want to read the whole thing, here are the main points of what this would do (with some comments)

1) Requires doctor to certify that a caregiver is medically necessary to attend to patients daily needs.

2) Prohibits outdoor growsite within 1000 feet of schools.

3) Seedling size increases to 18 inches.

4) Requires tax lot number for growsite.

5) Authorizes inspection of growsite, grower, patient and caregiver residences, vehicles between 8am and 5 pm

6) Limits single address to 2 patient's growsites

7) Requires grower to possess grow site registration card to possess marijuana away from growsite.

8) Expands background check restrictions to any jurisdiction

9) Deletes reimbursement language

10)Deletes language saying application and proof of mailing has same effect as registry card.

11) Notifies police of change of growsite

12) Cardholder loses exemption if possessing other drugs, using marijuana if not a patient.

13) Caregiver limited to two patients

14) Deletes language that says LEO may confiscate only marijuana in excess of limit

15) Provide LEO all patient info (grower name and address, caregiver name and address).

16) Eliminates the ACMM

17) Lowers possession limit to 16 ounces, hash to 2 ounces.

There are a few other things as well.

It is not clear if there is another amended version of SB 388 that the committee will consider on April 20. This draft is obviously the LE wish list.

With so many horrible provisions it is hard to identify the worst but I think 5) and 6) would be the most damaging.

Limiting an address to only 2 patient gardens would mean that 4,563 patients would lose their garden immediately. That of course would be devastating to those patients. There would also be much less excess to share because of all the restrictions.

This inspections are a horrible infringement on patients rights but in practice it is hard to imagine where the resources would come from to actually do many. I suspect that they would just go after people they don't like.

The good news is that this has not passed out of committee. And even if it does we will have other opportunities to stop it.

Please contact your legislators and tell them to vote NO on SB 388

John Sajo.

Thank you John and Jim..

Please let me know how this would affect you or the one the you love.

Please let me know if I can visit with you in Salem on Monday.

There are buses leaving from Portland and Gresham.

There are people who you can ride with.

I suggest dressing sharp and wearing a simple marijuana leaf or pin.

This one is worth a day off from work.

C ya there.

tGS

Re: SB 388 Stormy's Bill gets even WORSE!!Hearing Monday

We have an opportunity to derail this thing with a Town Hall held by the Sponsor of the bill on Saturday. Here's what he says:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To my constituents and other friends,

The '09 Legislature is in mid-session, struggling with the possibility of draconian budget cuts for the next biennium. I want to let you know of three upcoming Town Hall meetings I'm holding to brief you on what's happening and hear your concerns.

The schedule:
o This coming Saturday, April 18, 2-4 p.m., Eugene Public Library meeting room, specifically to talk about mental health issues. I am the sponsor of SB 368, which would establish much-needed offices of ombudsman and consumer affairs in the state Division of Addictions & Mental Health.
o The following Saturday, April 25, 11:30-1:30 p.m. Brownsville Public Library meeting room. Rep. Phil Barnhart and I will be there to discuss any legislative topic and hear from our Linn County constituents.
o Saturday, May 16, 10 a.m.-noon, Eugene City Council Chambers. Rep. Phil Barnhart and I will be there to discuss the state's bleak financial outlook and what can be done about it.

If you have any questions about these events, please contact my legislative assistant, Don Bishoff, at 503-986-1108 or Don.bishoff@state.or.us.

I look forward to seeing you at any or all of these events.

Sincerely,

Bill Morrisette

We need as many people at this event as possible to let him know that this is unacceptable. This is our only shot before the Hearing Monday. Let him know.
Demand a Hearing for SB 812 (the dispensary bill) instead of SB 388.

Sen. Morrisette is speaking about mental health and how badly the programs are going to be cut, and he doesn't want medical marijuana patients packing his public meeting. I think it is important to let Senator Morrisette know that SB 812 could provide funding for mental health programs, and should be given a hearing and SB 388 will bleed badly needed resources away from mental health and should be opposed.

The biggest drain on Addictions and Mental Health budgets is the War on Marijuana smokers: 70% of drug treatment slots are taken up by people who are referred totreatment by drug courts for marijuana only. Stop accepting marijuana only for treatment and focus on the hard cases and suddenly Sen. Morrisette would have funding for Mental Health programs. This is an excellent opportunity to push for full legalization.

this is a terrible bill some body wants us to take a step backwards it should not matter where you grow it or if its for up to 4 people 2 is not fair to a lot of people i am sure most of the multipul permit growers are growing for family members or other patients they met at chemo or where ever the idea and its present implimintation is about as good as its going to get for medical users it private non evasive unless you are breaking the present laws they pretty much leave you alone who's going to pay for inspections the medical users in it with some fees and or tax's i know the police are not having much of problem finding people who are breaking the laws governing the permit system you see it on the news all the time .if you legislators are so worried about excess pot get out in the forrest and stop the big cartel growing that is going on that is where most of the inlegal pot is coming from in oregon its not the mmp. growers you are creating a big burocracy that seem to be your answer to everything in oregon more commission more fees this program is for real sick people not drug dealers so guit treating us like we are a problem that needs to be inspected and policed like we are all criminals i for one will quit the mmp and just go back on the morphine and muscle relaxers if i have to start jumping thru a bunch of hoops to satisfy some control freaks needs to regulate my private life and it is private i do not tell anybody but my doctor what i am doing in this matter of my choice of medication and that is how it should be private i do not want the stigma of being looked at differently in my little town because i use it and i would be thats a fact most people are ignorant about its benefits and i would not want my house broke into because someone is inspecting all the time and some drug addict rip off knows who are doing inspections it is just wrong to put old people like me at risk to home invasions by real criminals my dr. told me from the start about how you need to keep it private or you have no idea how many meth addicts and just plain thiefs there are who will bust down your door for a fix or some easy cash no no no keep the program private

thank you stoney girl for your update on this horrable piece of legislation and its much deserved death and all you other out there who had a part in its defeat bless you all i am greatful for your watchdoging our hard one first steps in medications of choice and i do hope someday it is legal for all adults you never hear of some body on pot killing their family or attacking a stranger in a drunken rage it has the calming affect people who are stressed and troubled need if you look up alcohol its classified as a poison and i have never seen anybody in my 60 some years of life make a intelligent decision about anything drunk but i have seen many people functioning normal in their day to day life with cannabus its really sad to see some thing so good and nonthreatening to public safety be so feared and condemend try to get thru chemo on beer it just make common sense to legalize it now that so much is known about its benefits for all of mankind once agian thanks for all the efforts out there on a strangers behalf

I am from the East Coast and a RI MMJ where things are draconian but not this bad. Please defeat this Bill stopping it in it's tracks, I can see LEO in every MMJ State pushing for similar Bills should this gain support. I echo Stoney Girl and medicaluser and add to their voices so all may hear and band together Nationwide, holding firm to our rights, and trying to expand them!
We must not let the pinheads of society oppress the majority of good tax paying citizens who are truly assisting and caring for the elderly and infirm.
If this Administration won't consider the patients rights, needs, and privacy, they will understand the cost should many patients wind up long term in nursing homes or hospitals on State Aid after losing their meds and watching their health falter.

We have a Special Session coming up. There are currently no bills relating to mmj, but they are laying groundwork for 2011.

Last Session we beat back the 2 most powerful lobbies in Salem, and both of those groups are stinging from not only those losses, but from other losses as well. Our legislature is going to be looking for a sacrificial lamb to sacrifice to appease them: we fit the bill nicely.

Which means we need to be doing our own groundwork this election season by getting involved with races and making the marijuana lobby have an impact on outcomes. Some of our worst opponents are running unopposed, as usual. It's time they had some opposition.

Back
Top Bottom