Scanner Being Tested on Cars Taking Ferry

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Superman's X-ray vision was once the stuff of comic strips, but a new security system being tested at the Cherry Branch ferry terminal has made see-through technology a reality.

The Transportation Security Administration and the N.C. Department of Transportation are collaborating on a four-week test of a vehicle screening program at the Cherry Branch ferry just outside Havelock. All vehicles planning to board the ferry will have to drive through the American Science and Engineering X-ray detection system called the Z-Portal. The device, tall enough for a tractor-trailer to be screened, scans the sides and tops of vehicles to look specifically for concealed threats, explosives and contraband.

"It's a more detailed picture than you would get with an X-ray at the dentist's office," said Jon Allen of the Transportation Security Administration.

Vehicles will roll slowly through the gateway as backscatter X-ray detectors penetrate the metal and plastic, generating a photo-like image of the driver, passengers and all cargo. It's sensitive enough to see drugs smuggled in a car tire, cigarette cartons in a door panel or plastic explosives in a wheel well, officials said Monday during a demonstration of the system.

Officials expect about a minute delay before boarding the ferry, with the scanning taking place only on weekdays.

"This will not have a negative effect on ferry operations," said Capt. Jim Bamberger, branch chief of the Maritime Security Programs at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's TSA. He said drivers will pass through the system at 5 mph, and that it is safe. According to the TSA, the X-ray dose from the backscatter system is equivalent to the ambient radiation received in two minutes of airplane flight at altitude.

The machine can scan up to 120 vehicles in an hour. "The only limitation is the human side of it," Bamberger said. TSA security officers inside an adjacent trailer view images of the vehicles, looking for anything suspicious.

"It will take about 30 seconds for an empty vehicle and about a minute and a half for a cluttered vehicle," Bamberger said.

If officers detect something out of the ordinary, the vehicle is subject to closer inspection, usually with the aid of a bomb-or drug-sniffing dog. If something turns up, Craven County Sheriff's deputies will be on hand to handle any arrests or seizures.

Michael Zunk, federal security director for TSA at the Raleigh-Durham airport, said the system was good at seeing through what could seem to be harmless produce on a truck.

"If he says he's hauling watermelons and it's a solid substance inside, then something's not right," he said.

Allen expects to scan about 900 cars and trucks per day with the system. "For operational purposes we want to take as many images as we can," Allen said. Bill Falvey of Cherry Branch said he rides the ferry two or three times a week and doesn't think the scanning will be any inconvenience. "I guess everything's better than nothing," Falvey said. "We're a little remote, but everything needs to be protected now. It's unfortunate that that's our life these days."

But not everyone agreed with that view. Some neighbors who have watched construction for the test over the past several weeks don't think it looks temporary.

Others, like Jack Clark, are concerned that the scanning process and the cones set up well in advance of the entrance will further back up traffic and make getting into their streets and driveways difficult. "This is just another military application adapted for civilian use that is being foisted upon us like so many other measures," Clark said. "It's an abridgement of our right to be left alone."

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Marijuana Policy Project
Copyright: 2008 Marijuana Policy Project Contact: Contact MPP
Website: Scanner Being Tested on Cars Taking Ferry at Cherry Branch

Orwell underestimated!

The premise of let's check everybody, using low level radiation, whether we have probable cause or not, and whether it delays them or not, seems a overt violation of the 4th ammendment

I believe this is the same technology they have at the airport that lets you see through people's clothes

We need a strict constitutionalist Supreme Court that will stem the tide of some of this absurdity

Radiation is cumulative over ones lifetime. I am now treated for skin cancer at least 4 times a year due to sunlight I received a long time ago. And this will not help anyone who has a similar condition.

Radiation is cumulative over ones lifetime. I am now treated for skin cancer at least 4 times a year due to sunlight I received a long time ago. And this will not help anyone who has a similar condition.
i just had a skin cancer removed yesterday. i'm waiting for the biopsy results. i fried my nose in the sun so many times as a kid. good luck to ya chance :smokin:

I was so thinking about people that cannot get x-rays due to radiation and the such. This machine is so Big-Brother and medically damaging for some people.

We might as well all be smoking Victory Cigarettes with Victory Vodka and turn on our TVs to view the war with East Asia...

^ in case no one got that, it's related to 1984, George Orwell

Average 1 minute per vehicle, 900 vehicles, 900 minute delay.lol
What an ignorant program. We have all kinds of scans but none of the commercial products that are shipped on commercial planes is scanned. This all makes so much sense. I'm aware of a 2000 lb shipment of weed that was just shipped with other commercial products in the belly of a passenger plane. Its never checked.
Its all about hate,hate,fear,fear.

Back
Top Bottom