Schapelle Corby Hires New Lawyer, Is 'Very Sick'

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Schapelle Corby has hired a new lawyer to continue her battle for freedom and ensure her mental illness is properly treated - and her lawyer says she is "very sick".

The depressed inmate may also lodge a presidential plea for clemency - something she has previously refused to do because it would mean admitting guilt.

The appointment of Jakarta-based lawyer Iskandar Nawing signals that Corby and her family are far from resigned to her fate.

Tomorrow marks four years since Corby was sentenced to 20 years jail in Denpasar District Court for smuggling 4.1kg of marijuana.

After visiting his new client in the police hospital where she is being treated for depression, Mr Nawing said Corby was "very sick" and her medication needed to be closely monitored.

Mr Nawing revealed he would consider taking steps to apply to have the 31-year-old transferred from jail to a psychiatric hospital for treatment. Earlier bids by the family to have her moved to hospital have failed.

Mr Nawing has yet to properly study the case but is also considering a plea for clemency from the president.

"Today when I talked to her, her answers did not correlate and when I said something she could not understand like a normal person," Mr Nawing said.

"Schapelle is very sick so her medication needs to be monitored. Maybe I will ask for her to be treated in hospital. It is impossible to be treated in the jail so I am going to ask for the jail governor to help us and to understand about the problem of Schapelle."

Mr Nawing intends reviewing the entire case from start to finish but said he did not have new evidence at this stage.

Meanwhile, the psychiatrist treating Schapelle Corby said yesterday she was slowly improving but was still illogical and clearly suffering depression.

After visiting the 31-year-old for 15 minutes yesterday Dr Denny Thong said his patient was still confused but was communicating better.

Corby was being treated in the police hospital at Denpasar's police headquarters. She was taken there late on Friday suffering deep depression after her condition deteriorated late last week.

She had become incoherent, teary and was not looking after herself, and had not been taking her medication in the proper dosages.

In depth: The Schapelle Corby saga

It was the second time in a year that Corby, who is serving a 20-year sentence, had been taken to hospital suffering depression.

Corby is recovering in a VIP room at the police hospital called the Ratna room. Unlike her Bali prison cell, the hospital has air-conditioning, hot and cold water, a bathtub, refrigerator, sofa and TV. The room costs about $45 per day. The cost is being paid for by the Corby family.

She was being guarded at the hospital by two prison officers and police.

Gallery: Schapelle Corby's life

Hospital sources said Corby, after her admission on Friday night, was wandering around looking dazed and upset and at one stage was carrying a doll. She appeared paranoid, questioning the presence of police.

Corby's mother Rosleigh Rose spent a second night with her daughter in the hospital room and yesterday Corby's sister Mercedes also arrived.

"I am happy to say that she is much better now. She is eating, she is communicating," Dr Thong said.

Schapelle talks of her beauty vision in jail

"She is still a bit illogical, that's all. And it is understandable because she is under pressure."

Asked what pressure Corby faced, Dr Thong said it stemmed from being locked up. Corby has maintained her innocence of charges of attempting to smuggle 4.1kg of marijuana to Bali. She has lost all appeals against the conviction and sentence.

Tomorrow marks four years since she was convicted in Denpasar District Court.

Dr Thong said his diagnosis was depression. He was uncertain how long she would remain in the hospital.

"The arrival of her mum is helpful," Dr Thong said.

He said Corby had a mental illness and one option was to have her taken to a psychiatric hospital in Bali. Jail authorities have previously rejected the request.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: News.com
Author: Cindy Wockner and Komang Suriadi
Copyright: 2009 News Limited
Website: Schapelle Corby hires new lawyer, is &squo;very sick&squo; | The Daily Telegraph

It is just SICK what they are doing to this poor woman!

Can't we do SOMETHING to help other than write her???? Mayve a message from some of us would help?

Or can someone at least give us an address here so I CAN write her?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Love and a squish,

Alison
xx

Back
Top Bottom