Set up questions from a novice

QuixoticQlip

Hey everyone,
So I recently qualified in my state and for Christmas my family gave me a light & tent system. The tent is 4x4x78, the light is 400w (not cool tube) with MH & HPS bulbs The ballast looks the same as the purple digital ones I see on all the youtube videos (Apollo). I have no ventiliation system, no hydro system etc yet.

Apologies for the fact that this will be a long post.

Purchasing a new light/tent AND getting everything else I need will not be feasible at this time (so please remember "just buy new stuff" = off topic)

Here's my questions, any help or direction you guys could give me would be huge:

Tent/Light Set Up
1- Does it matter which way the light goes? The diagram that came with the tent shows the light facing one (long sides facing the side walls of the tent, power cord towards the back of the tent), while every image I've seen on the internet shows the light facing the opposite way (power cord to the side, long side of the hood facing the front/back of the tent). My assumption was that since the room is 4x4 the direction probably depends only on where this is all being plugged in. Is this accurate?

2- The tent came with 4 bars for the top that seem pretty loose and do not fasten. According to the picture that came with the tent, the light attaches to the two bars that are simple straight horizontal bars. While something else (the ballast?) goes on the bars that look like:
-\_____________/-

Are those bars for the light, the ballast or the fan/ducting? I assumed the ballast goes outside the tent, correct?

3- My light came with some hanger clips, but there's a lot of slack. I have the slack bound with twisty ties and tied to the bars at the top of the tent. Is this safe or a fire hazard?

Cooling/Ducting/Fans
1- At this point I realize I'm going to need an inline fan w/speed control as well as ducting. I assume I should make sure this exits through a different port than the power cord for the light.

2- I'm growing in an uninsulated "finished" attic (freezing in the winter, sweltering in the summer), planning to do *all* of my growing between October & May when it's cold. Can I just let the heat vent into the room and save myself the effort of using a space heater? (Space heater is for me when I'm up there- it's also my office- not for the tent). I assume if it was during the hot months it would be an obvious fire hazard, but when it's so cold up there that I need to turn on a heater for 1/2 an hour before I can stand up there... I guess I'm asking what the effect will be if I do that (if need be there IS a window I can access to vent the exhaust).

3- This is the one area I am budgeted to spend a significant chunk of money, so whatever I need I can get. I've heard stories of fans that are so strong they collapse the tent, but I assume that's what the speed control is for. Do I just need this exhaust fan or do I need a second fan? Can the second fan be a "normal" fan or does it also need to be a specialized inline fan?

4- Smell is not important because I'm a legitimate patient with my own home. Do I still need the carbon scrub or is just a fan enough?

Grow Systems
1) I'm planning to go hydroponic right out of the gate. Planning to use 5 gallon black bubble buckets. Do I still need to do the aluminum tape on the outside for a black bucket? Some say yes, some say no.

2) How many 5 gallon buckets will fit in a 4x4 tent? I know it's somewhat variable (some strains being bushier than others etc), but I see a lot of systems saying 4 buckets max. I think I could easily fit 5-6 in there and still have room for some bushy plants, but I am a novice so I defer to those of you with more experience.

3) Is it better in a tent this size, on a first grow, to use individual buckets or to use one of the more elaborate systems that will yield a higher number of plants?

Any advice you guys can give me would be a huge help, so thank you in advance.

Tent/Light Set Up
1- Does it matter which way the light goes? The diagram that came with the tent shows the light facing one (long sides facing the side walls of the tent, power cord towards the back of the tent), while every image I've seen on the internet shows the light facing the opposite way (power cord to the side, long side of the hood facing the front/back of the tent). My assumption was that since the room is 4x4 the direction probably depends only on where this is all being plugged in. Is this accurate?
Shouldn't matter as long as it has a secure attachment method for the light.
2- The tent came with 4 bars for the top that seem pretty loose and do not fasten. According to the picture that came with the tent, the light attaches to the two bars that are simple straight horizontal bars. While something else (the ballast?) goes on the bars that look like:
-\_____________/-

Are those bars for the light, the ballast or the fan/ducting? I assumed the ballast goes outside the tent, correct?
Should be for light hanging, should have came with instructions. You do want to make sure whatever system they have that it is secure. You don't want to accidently bump a light and have it fall down on the plants. So whatever it has make sure its secured to the framework and is heavy enough to hold the weight. Keep the ballast out of the tent. It will make it just that much hotter and moisture is never a friend to electrical components.

3- My light came with some hanger clips, but there's a lot of slack. I have the slack bound with twisty ties and tied to the bars at the top of the tent. Is this safe or a fire hazard?
Not sure what the slack is you're talking about. Usually there is a heavy wire bracket on each end of the light for hanging and then usually a length of change to adjust the height Just make sure its all heavy enough to carry the load..

Cooling/Ducting/Fans
1- At this point I realize I'm going to need an inline fan w/speed control as well as ducting. I assume I should make sure this exits through a different port than the power cord for the light.
A 6" fan with a fresh air intake and an exhaust port is usually enough. You can go crazy on fans depending on how much you want to spend.

2- I'm growing in an uninsulated "finished" attic (freezing in the winter, sweltering in the summer), planning to do *all* of my growing between October & May when it's cold. Can I just let the heat vent into the room and save myself the effort of using a space heater? (Space heater is for me when I'm up there- it's also my office- not for the tent). I assume if it was during the hot months it would be an obvious fire hazard, but when it's so cold up there that I need to turn on a heater for 1/2 an hour before I can stand up there... I guess I'm asking what the effect will be if I do that (if need be there IS a window I can access to vent the exhaust).
You'll have to experiment once you're all setup. A range of 45 degrees to 80 degrees is fine.

3- This is the one area I am budgeted to spend a significant chunk of money, so whatever I need I can get. I've heard stories of fans that are so strong they collapse the tent, but I assume that's what the speed control is for. Do I just need this exhaust fan or do I need a second fan? Can the second fan be a "normal" fan or does it also need to be a specialized inline fan?
Usually just a standard 6" fan will be enough. Again every circumstance is different so you'll have to pay attention when you first setup. Set everything up and just run the tent without any plants in it till you see where you're at with temps.

4- Smell is not important because I'm a legitimate patient with my own home. Do I still need the carbon scrub or is just a fan enough?
If you're legal you won't need a scrubber. Just be sure to check outside to see if the smell might draw a bad crowd. Even being legal you don't want other people to know what you're doing.

Grow Systems
1) I'm planning to go hydroponic right out of the gate. Planning to use 5 gallon black bubble buckets. Do I still need to do the aluminum tape on the outside for a black bucket? Some say yes, some say no.

2) How many 5 gallon buckets will fit in a 4x4 tent? I know it's somewhat variable (some strains being bushier than others etc), but I see a lot of systems saying 4 buckets max. I think I could easily fit 5-6 in there and still have room for some bushy plants, but I am a novice so I defer to those of you with more experience.
You could jam 16 in there if you wanted. Its about having room to work and enough air circulation to keep the under growth well ventilated so that it doesn't promote mold.

3) Is it better in a tent this size, on a first grow, to use individual buckets or to use one of the more elaborate systems that will yield a higher number of plants?
Either system will work. The large bin soil filled method can make things a little easier sometimes but buckets work just fine. Its really all about personal preferences and which system fits your conditions.

Back
Top Bottom