Should I Choose A Round Or Square Pot For My Plants?

If you have cats, recycle the cat litter buckets for your grows. Alll you need to do is drill drainage holes in the bottom for your your preharvest flush.

How about depth....how deep does a pot need to be to support an auto? I ask because I have a 40" tall cab and every inch I can save in pot height is an inch more of bud growth I can fit in there :thumb:

:circle-of-love:
I'm using 5 gallon buckets and sometimes the roots come near hitting the bottom, and other times half that. I think it depends more on how the plant is progressing because there's people growing autos in 3 gal smart pots lol. That's a great question lol.
Color of the pot/bucket is important as you need to chose a color that keeps light away from the root structure. Krylon makes a paint called "Fusion" that bonds with the plastic. Black is usually the color of choice.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Round Vs. Square Pots

On Gardeners World on the BBC last week the presenter explained the difference between square & round pots or holes in the ground.

With a ROUND pot if the roots reach the bottom they keep going round and round collecting more moisture eventually stunting plant growth, although this should be easily remedied by checking your plants regularly & a lack of procrastination.

SO, A SQUARE pot, when the roots reach the bottom they tend to aim for the exits, so the roots splay nicely as there are 4 corners and they gather there waiting to escape but in the meantime creating a strong 'Bottom of a pyramid' shape is an adequate analogy. If the pots were to find their way into mother earth the SQUARE roots system will escape in all 4 directions creating a great sturdy structure but also spreading in optimum directions. A ROUND pot escaping into the dirt will eventually grow, but these roots may not grow out into the soil. To encourage good root growth cut or break up the roots to separate them. Growing autoflowering plants & misscalculating pot size will result in a reduction of yield & potency.

JaM

Cannabis roots will grow in circles even when planted in ground and not in pots.Example one.
IMG_20200724_160243.jpg

Round Vs. Square Pots

On Gardeners World on the BBC last week the presenter explained the difference between square & round pots or holes in the ground.

With a ROUND pot if the roots reach the bottom they keep going round and round collecting more moisture eventually stunting plant growth, although this should be easily remedied by checking your plants regularly & a lack of procrastination.

SO, A SQUARE pot, when the roots reach the bottom they tend to aim for the exits, so the roots splay nicely as there are 4 corners and they gather there waiting to escape but in the meantime creating a strong 'Bottom of a pyramid' shape is an adequate analogy. If the pots were to find their way into mother earth the SQUARE roots system will escape in all 4 directions creating a great sturdy structure but also spreading in optimum directions. A ROUND pot escaping into the dirt will eventually grow, but these roots may not grow out into the soil. To encourage good root growth cut or break up the roots to separate them. Growing autoflowering plants & misscalculating pot size will result in a reduction of yield & potency.

JaM
:rofl::rofl: Did they have a buried camera filming this to support these scientific findings:rofl::rofl: j/k ...it's a matter of choice to me, much easier to transplant from a round pot than a square pot, and I have plenty of room in a 4 gallon nursery pot for a quad that takes up half of my 4x8 tent. :thedoubletake:
I think there was plenty of root development :popcorn:

Fabric pots seem to support evenly distributed root growth, not sure it would matter if they were square or round if they are fabric.

I’m using these for my next grow. What do you think?

1607467645285.jpeg
1607467645285.jpeg

Be prepared to do a lot of extra watering with those. If feeding something like hydro nutes go low on the ppm. Work great from grows I've seen before. Do a search for OldMedman's threads. He used them in Hawaii outside for all his growing. May he RIP.

Miss ya Jim!

:peace:

Be prepared to do a lot of extra watering with those. If feeding something like hydro nutes go low on the ppm. Work great from grows I've seen before. Do a search for OldMedman's threads. He used them in Hawaii outside for all his growing. May he RIP.

Miss ya Jim!

:peace:
Thanks on the watering info and the thread to look up. R.I.P OldMedman.

I asked myself the same question, square or round? I am doing my first grow and I decided that square would be better because they can be pushed together and leave no spaces in between the pots like the round ones do. It only works when in early veg when trying to keep everything close under the light, as soon as they grow a little you have to spread them out and the pots aren't close anyway.

I have made an observation though, and I am wondering if it is unique to my grow or has anyone else observed this. I am growing 12 plants, two different strains. I did not buy pots as I have saved 5 gal buckets in anticipation of this grow. As I said I am growing 12 plants but I only had 10 square pots. I planted 5 of each strain in the square pots and 1 of each strain in round pots. The square pots have out performed the round pots by leaps and bounds! The round pots are actually standard nursery grow pots and they are black. The square pots (buckets) are all white except one, it is red.

The difference between the 10 plants, and the 2 plants, is remarkable. The 10 are very lush, very dark green, all the same height, and the trunks are as big around as my thumb. The 2 plants are somewhat stringy, they are very pale in color, they have half as many leaves, the trunks are half the size of the other 10, and they are both stretching about 3-4 inches taller than the rest. They have all been cared for exactly the same. Same lighting, same water, same temperature, same nutes, same everything!

If this had happened with just one strain, I would have thought that I just had some bad seed. The fact that it is the same with two strains does cause me to think that there may be a difference due to pot shape or maybe color. I am thinking that maybe the black pots absorb more light heat and it affects the roots, or perhaps the corners in the buckets cause the roots to grow in a different configuration? Or, maybe I just had two bad seeds from two strains and just happened to put the two bad seeds in the round pots.

Any thoughts???
You answered your question with your last paragraph.

Back
Top Bottom