Should I move my Sativa leafed bagseed plant inside?

ScienceGrow

More details in the grow journal linked in my sig.

I have three plants with Sativa looking leaves, grown from bagseed. So I don't know the expected flowering time, but I'm assuming at least 10 weeks, probably more.

My biggest, Alpha, looks to be beginning the move to early flower.
DSC_15033.JPG
DSC_15105.JPG

The likely minimum flower time of 10 weeks, from today, is late October. Temps in my area were dipping into the 60s last year at that time. So I'm concerned the cold could be a problem before harvest, especially an unexpected frost.

My other two plants are already inside, but considerably smaller in size. Same bagseed. Journal tells why they're so small.
DSC_15304.JPG

I've already switched them to 12/12 a few days ago, in hopes I could flower and harvest before my Alpha might need to relocate. But Alpha appears to be moving into flower on its own, ahead of them.

So, the overall question is, should I move Alpha indoors, to protect my best performer and reduce shock from environment change while still mostly vegging, and toss the little ones outside, until Alpha harvests? This is my current thinking and I think it's a solid plan. But that means ditching the Sun for a 300W LED. Can't carry in and out all the time reliably.

Of less concern but still a slight concern is my neighbors high mounted, ridiculously bright fluorescent floodlight. This thing is insanely bright, casting dark shadows at least 300 ft. My plant is fully shadowed from the light, so nothing direct, but is ambient bounce going to affect my cycle? I would describe the light cast as a bright moonlight, probably a 5000K. It is always on.

Lastly, these are bagseed, and everyone seems to say bagseed will likely hermie. So far, no boy parts. How likely is it, in a good environment, that this would occur, considering no signs so far? Anecdotal evidence is fine by me.

Anyone have some useful advice? Is my plan the smart option? Should I just suck it up and build a second grow cabinet?

Check out a climate graph for your area and look at what the average low temp is in October in your area. If it really only gets down into the 60's you'll probably be fine leaving it outside. The question of the light is a stumper though. I would try to build some kind of blockage in the direction of the light. Even though it's not shining directly on the plant, it could get confused by the presence of a "full moon" every night.

EDIT: Plus your neighbor has a flood light that's always on and shines on to your house? That's a little annoying...

Okay, think I have my answer. Average high is 62, average low is 43. I'll probably need to get her inside by October.

So the question now is, should I wait, or will moving her that far into flower be too stressful? It would be a major change, and it's bagseed so the hermie fear is already in me. And then there's the light to contend with, though the plant is already blocked from direct light. Not much out there to reflect it at the plant, but people are talking about tiny indicator lights causing issues so just want to be sure.

Maybe I'll give her till the end of September, then move inside, unless anyone thinks there would be too much stress during flowering. More to prevent her going hermie than simple yield concerns.

Yes, their light being on all night is frustrating. They actually think they're doing us a favor, making it more safe. Nice people, good neighbors, don't want to make waves, but it ruins campfire nights and stargazing. And possibly my night cycle.

Anyway, thanks for the tip on the weather graph. Any thoughts on my girl growing sacs? Is the bagseed/hermie thing common enough to fear, or overblown? Hard to get to all the facts. For all I know that story started with the seed banks, and just hasn't been squashed yet, like so many of the other myths.

Okay, think I have my answer. Average high is 62, average low is 43. I'll probably need to get her inside by October.

So the question now is, should I wait, or will moving her that far into flower be too stressful? It would be a major change, and it's bagseed so the hermie fear is already in me. And then there's the light to contend with, though the plant is already blocked from direct light. Not much out there to reflect it at the plant, but people are talking about tiny indicator lights causing issues so just want to be sure.

Maybe I'll give her till the end of September, then move inside, unless anyone thinks there would be too much stress during flowering. More to prevent her going hermie than simple yield concerns.

Yes, their light being on all night is frustrating. They actually think they're doing us a favor, making it more safe. Nice people, good neighbors, don't want to make waves, but it ruins campfire nights and stargazing. And possibly my night cycle.

Anyway, thanks for the tip on the weather graph. Any thoughts on my girl growing sacs? Is the bagseed/hermie thing common enough to fear, or overblown? Hard to get to all the facts. For all I know that story started with the seed banks, and just hasn't been squashed yet, like so many of the other myths.

If it were my decision, I would put her inside as soon as possible (directly under 12/12 light) - so it's as much as possible like a normal, inside 18/6 to 12/12 switch. If you decide wait, you should move her inside before the day is shorter than 12 hours long. That could cause the best of genetics to herm.

I'm not sure if bagseed is more likely to herm than seedbank seeds. It seems like alot of seed bank seeds herm unless you choose a quality breeder. I've only grown bag seed once and it was my first time ever growing anything so I couldn't even tell you if it hermed or not. It had seeds, but I also had male plants in there that I didn't cut out in time. And if it did herm on me, it could have been for plently of reasons other than the origin of the seed.

There are also two kinds of bag seed. One kind that is from quality "name brand" herb that hermed out on someone else and caused their bud to have seeds before they sold it to you. The other kind is buds that were pollinated from male pollen because they were exposed to pollen from a male plant. I would expect the first kind to be more likely to herm than the second kind.

Dude, awesome answers. I'll get her inside tomorrow.

There were three seeds in an ounce bag I split with someone. No name strain, but it was a decent bag. I found my one seed in the middle of a bud, which gave me hope that it was stray pollen from another plant early in flowering, but I didn't want to get my hopes too high. Hopefully that's the case. If so, I should be golden provided no catastrophes.

Thank you very much for the responses and advice. The other two plants aren't showing sex yet, so definitely best to keep my known healthy female safe and unstressed.

Back
Top Bottom