Smartpots - faster nutrient buildup due to evaporation?

SteveI

Do you think smartpots can buildup salts faster than traditional planters or plastic containers due to evaporation?

I believe in the smartpot concept for root development. They seem to work really well in my experience and are very cheap. But I wonder if the porous nature makes water evaporate more quickly from the soil than a traditional planter, causing nutrient concentrations to increase and salts to build up. This would seem to imply we should adjust nutrient concentrations lower, plain water more often, and/or flush more often. Thoughts?

My experience: In a 2G, at full growth in a micro grow (1 cu foot of plant), I have to water every 2 days with approx 1/4-1/2G depending on how dry.

if salt buildup is a concern just use nutes every other watering and plain on the other

I was just wondering if a general rule of thumb would be that with smartpots we should lower concentrations due to more evaporation.

I don't really see how it would be different if you add the same in a regular pot
it will dry faster as you stated but if you have a 3 gal smartpot and a 3 gallon regular pot and you feed it exactly the same
the only difference I can see is the smart pot drying faster making the roots search more maybe even eat more?
maybe more salt buildup in a regular pot?

this is just my thinking I haven't used a smartpot ive used airpots but with the soil I used I only feed it plain water

My hypothesis is that you have to water/feed more often with a smartpot because of faster evaporation due to the porous nature of the sides of the pot. Thus in using the same concentration as a regular pot, you would end up with high concentrations of salts/nutes in the smartpot.

My hypothesis is that you have to water/feed more often with a smartpot because of faster evaporation due to the porous nature of the sides of the pot. Thus in using the same concentration as a regular pot, you would end up with high concentrations of salts/nutes in the smartpot.

I think your philosophy is sound. I'm using Smart Pots now and I like that they breathe. Watering needs to be done more often because of this. I make sure to flush with good nutrient filled water once a week so that a good amount drains out the bottom and is discarded. I may be wasting a bit of nutes but it's all in the name of healthy green plants.

I make sure to flush with good nutrient filled water once a week so that a good amount drains out the bottom and is discarded. I may be wasting a bit of nutes but it's all in the name of healthy green plants.

That's a good idea. Since I am micro, I can easily put the whole plant and pot over a sink when I water. Put in enough so that a good amount drains out taking some built up excess with it. It will also ensure that it is more soaked so maybe I would only need to water/feed every 3 days vs the current 2.

You may get an extra day if you use a wetting agent. I am using fabric pots and while I do NOT get an extra day using a wetting agent it does seem to help eliminate the feed finding trails to the side and running all over the place. I just add some to the mix when the feed starts draining out the side more.

You may get an extra day if you use a wetting agent. I am using fabric pots and while I do NOT get an extra day using a wetting agent it does seem to help eliminate the feed finding trails to the side and running all over the place. I just add some to the mix when the feed starts draining out the side more.

I'm aware of wetting agents like Dawn dish soap and this seems like it'd help with this situation. Hey MacEFL it sounds like you've got it worked out pretty well.

What agent do you use and how much do you mix in?

I use an Earth Juice product called Assist but that is only because I am using their nutes and I got a killer deal on a gallon. I would imagine that any wetting agent will work but I only speak of Assist. The directions are on the bottle but I use a couple of teaspoons for 6 gallons of feed.

Back
Top Bottom