Some post-flushing observations with a question.

Agen36

The need for flushing crystallized for me recently watching a Smithsonian program on California farmland. Irrigation is used extensively in certain areas of the state and results over a long period of time in a salt buildup that eventually ruins the land.

However, when I flush to avoid, for instance, nutrient lockout caused by salt buildup (2 gallons per one gal pot) I always observe things that make me nervous. To wit:

At first the plants seem to really enjoy it. Afterwards leaves droop, ends twist, even growth seems to slow, for up to a week or more afterwards and they never seem quite the same. Normally I always water around the perimeter of the pot, wanting to leave the soil as airy and un-compacted as possible. The flushing causes the soil to settle and compact-is this a problem? I know that cannabis doesn't like wet feet; doesn't flushing do exactly that for a relatively longish time?

I grow only auto-flowers and find that a drink every five or six days (circumstantial variation occurs) seems to keep them happiest. As a result, they're watered perhaps only 10 times in their brief lives. I only add one feeding of nutrients for vegging with one foliar spray of the same later on; ditto for bloom juice.

My question is, do I really need to flush? Also, should I add cal/mag as a normal part of feeding, whether they seem to need it or no?

Hi there Agen.

From what i understand, after you have flushed, you need to water them again, with a nutrient solution this time.

as you flush your soil, you take away excess salts that have built up, and some of the other important food for your babes.

Next time you flush, give them another round of watering with your wanted nutes in, til u get some run off and see if you still notice that they seem sad.

I've tried it several ways. I've flushed for 10 days solid, a week, 3 days, and no flush at all. My bud still tasted the same.

Flushing isn't necessary.

do u think thats grow method dependent though? soil vs hydro for exxample? and nutes used? i dont flush massively, i just put water in for 3 days in hydro. i think its nute dependant mainly. the shooting powder i use is very powerful and harsh on plants and u get a bad head if its not flushed properly.

I disagree respectfully with the others and I say flushing helps. many many times I have taken buds early and the smoke and ash are much blacker. The flushed buds have a white clean light ash. Now I will also say that the dry and cure are more important than the flush. I have had to harvest plants that were not flushed and as long as the dry and cure is done well it seems to be ok.... I have been on the fence a few times with flushing and now I DO flush cause.... why not... better safe than sorry, nothing worse than smoking harsh crappy tasting weed. Some guys get away from flushing but to each his own. Experience plays a big part in achieving a balance that works for you.
Strain is also important.... that Accopolco Gold I did a few times was crap with or with out a flush or cure... still tasted green and ash was black and hard.
Just my 2 cents...

Jonny

Flushing isn't necessary.

Well, that's a very direct statement, leaving no room for discussion which should elicit comment and discussion. I had nutrient lockout on my first grow which taught me to pull back on over watering. It was also a five gallon pot, something I won't be repeating as it's much harder to control the watering with that size pot and small auto's.

I don't think that flushing is all about the taste, is it? Flushing gets rid of the salt buildup, or so I've read in numerous posts and blogs. I'm just not sure that with the approx. 2 month germ to harvest I would build up that much that I would need to flush.

do u think thats grow method dependent though? soil vs hydro for exxample? and nutes used? i dont flush massively, i just put water in for 3 days in hydro. i think its nute dependant mainly. the shooting powder i use is very powerful and harsh on plants and u get a bad head if its not flushed properly.

It certainly may be. I should have specified that it isn't necessary with the nutes I use and the strain I grow. Obviously, every strain acts/reacts a bit differently.

this isnt really a topic im equiped to discuss much as i have terrible taste buds, but i have seen statements that crackling from your joint when smoking can be caused by things like magnesium still left in the plant.

holistically speaking i would prefer to be consuming only the active ingredients we all love.

also i have heard that flushing with a mild nute solution 25-50% of your usual strength is BETTER at flushing than pure water, tho why is beyond me.

also i have heard that flushing with a mild nute solution 25-50% of your usual strength is BETTER at flushing than pure water, tho why is beyond me.

That is so u dont completely deplete plants nutrients when flushing as thats a bad thing during a grow cycle. But also if u use plain water the salts dont flush out as easily, the weak nutrient gives the salts something to bind to. Im no scientist so dont know how it scientifically works but thats the idea, im sure BPN could be more precise on that one. However this is for a flush mid grow, u dont want to be adding nutes to ur plants with a flush for the final phase, i just use plain water or a flushing agent cos as i mentioned above the shooting powder needs cleaned out before smokage comences........

Back
Top Bottom