Soil and Water Testers...Please Help

SirGrowAlot

I have seen a million different soil and water testers on the internet.. I was wondering if anybody has a reccomendation of one for 20-30 dollars...Also, do I need to buy one for soil and one for water, or does a single one test for both? If I could buy just one then I could spend about 50..
Please, any reccomendations or information would be greatly appreciated..

Thank You

The grow will be in soil... but i was wanting a water tester to test what i am going to be watering with.
Also, what needs to be tested in the soil?
What needs to be tested in the water?

ive seen them at the hardware stores, small vials with a colored capsule in them. multiple colors and cheap!
testin soil for a grow or a grow already growin?
peace

Yeah i seen those... I have heard bad things about them though.. I was looking more for the probes/meters, I have heard they are alot more accurate..
Also, I was looking for something that might test EC and TDS...
Thank You for the info though

there r loads of hydro stores on the net!
any one of them will have the test equipment u desire.
you could always send a sample in to be tested
then save all the $ you would have spent on meters and equipment.
peace
whats bad about the soil testers i mentioned?
please tell me

Use a ph balanced soil and then water with ph'd water to keep your soil ph range in the desired area 6.3-6.5. So just buy a ph tester to use for liquids.

I got a PH checker made by Hanna n it was about $40. Its good for checking liquids but if u want to test the soil u can also get those aquairum PH testers fromwalmart for a few bucks. All u need to do is ph the water n then water the plant then get some of the run off n check with the tester by filling the tube up tothe line n then Add 3 drops of the soultion n match the cooors to the chart to get a reading. It wont be super accurate but itll give u a basic idea.

Do some meters test soil and water?? Or do they have to be completely different? I was told that it would be good to try to get something that tested EC and PPm also. What was the name of the tester you got by Hanna??

Thanks for the help guys

you can make a tea with the soil then use the ph tester.
ec and ppm meters are a dime a dozen.
here try lookin here for what you want
Hydrofarm - Grow Lights, Hydroponics and More!
i look everywhere for my needs. its always a good idea to shop around.
they make meters that read many different areas of the growing neuts. water, soil ect.
hope its helpful

I still have to get a PH tester myself, I read good things about Hanna, when you say "use a PH balanced soil", how do you know its PH balanced? because its organic, or if it has domicile lime in it? I heard that FF was PH balanced. I also read something about peat being what will throw off your PH over time, which is why you add the lime..is this true and if it is, does it mean if your mix doesn't have peat in it, then it's balanced? As of now I use tap water that has sat for at least 24hrs, and FF Big Grow 1/4 teasp for seedlings, and I haven't had any real problems ...yet PS I didn't know if I should start a new thread, or since Sirgrows Q was answered, I though I should just add it here?

Back
Top Bottom