From soil to hydro transition

SONIC-D

Hi guys I have 2 journals going one with my first dirt grow its almost done and in flowering stage it went horrible and I'm having problems I'll post all that in that journal. But because of the problems with the dirt grow I'm going to a hydro system from dirt. I started with bag seed in dirt to see what would happen. After they flowered I picked out the best of the crops, a bit late to clone but it's worth the effort.

clone14.jpg

The seeds I had were from some really good stuff and I have 13 clones going of 2 strains maybe 3 not sure. A few of the plants I believe to be Kush as I was told when I bought the bag from a friend and kept the seeds. You all can be the judge of what it was but it was very good, as for the other it's just some really good stuff. I just realy want the Kush to mother so I don't have to spend the $$ on seeds.

I have my clones under a 400 watt metal halide I know it's over kill but this will be my veg room too. Right now it's on 24/7 what do you think should I decrease to 18/6 maybe give em a few hours off?

The clones looked a bit burned so I think I mixed up the plain water with the nute water and burned them as seen in the pics. So today I went to the hydro shop as I wanted to get out of the jiffy pots and into rockwool cubes so I can go hydro. Also they had a high propagation dome for $7 and 15 cubes of rock were only .30 each. Got home soaked the cubes in plain water for a hour. In the mean time I flushed the clone tray with plain water and dumped the jiffy pots. I then checked the roots of the clones and decided to scrape them lightly on the ends like in the clone thread to help them along. Then re-dipped them in root hormone, some had some signs of roots so they were left alone just transplanted into rockwool. I also clipped 2 new fresh clones just to be safe and tossed 1 it was too burned.

clonerockwool.jpg

dome.jpg

May I suggest clipping the large yellow leaves off that are making excess weight stress on the stems. Having just doing the same thing last crop, with bud clones, it took an extra 3 weeks for them to take hold and begin to root. They did come out of it. It took time and patience. Do not let them dry up though.

Yea I thought of that and I even cut a few I just didn’t want to go to town and cause to much stress but I will clip the dead leaves today I spray them with water often and that dome seems to be working good the humidity is around 70-80 so they shouldn’t dry, I fill the reservoir daily as well too.
Thanks

I know its a lot to read but I want and I need your help, searching this site sux but I do read a lot of it at work all day. I have my clones in a closet I will use for veg and cloning area, I have area in a room with 10 plants under 400w metal halide probably too much but there working. They were a soil grow to test the waters (u can see my other journal) I may go with hydro on the next grow or soil.

Ill tell you all what I’m after and what I have to work with and you guys can guide me hows that sound. I didn’t want to post this in the soil journal since this will be starting from all these pretty clones I have growing.

I have 400 wats of metal halide in the closet and 400 in the bedroom for flowering, I have one more 400mteal halide sitting around, 2 were a gift after I bought the one from a shop that closed down for $30. I may get conversion bulbs or at least one hps system. I want to grow 18 plants at a time but not all at once I want to time them so I get a 9 plant crop a month. I figure a few weeks in the closet veging 24hr, then one month under the metal halide flowering 12/12 then the last month under the hps still 12/12 but with hps. That gives them 2 months of flowering; I would rotate the 9 plants and move them from one station to the next. Does this seem to work out or is my math wrong?

Also doing this should I stick to soil or go back to hydro I thought with soil it would be easier to move the buckets around. I have 3, 5, and 8 gallon nursery buckets with my other journal I had to move them from the 3 gals as they stopped growing. There is a hydro system called the eco grower, I though of buying its $200 and they make them from 6 plants to 36 plants I thought of getting one for 18 plants and keeping the rotation with those any one use these? maybe i would only need one light like a 600w hps for flowering.
GH_EcoGrower_SM.jpg

Now I really need help with my mother plants every one? I never done the mother clone thing before and want good shoots and good clones I was trying to wait but this all happened too fast this past week with the clones forcing my play.

I had to keep every thing in soil I had to take the rock wool cubes and plant them in plastic cups for now they rooted in 4 days and not just roots I mean crazy roots wild growing out of every corner of rock wool cubes crazy. on the 13th taking Cherma’s advice I clipped off the yellow and decided to scrape the roots with a razor like I should have done in the first place I re did the clone powder just the cheap stuff from home depot and boom by the 18th I had no choice I was trying to hold out to figure out what I’m going to plant in but there was no more waiting. these are my mothers any way so they went into cups the roots were too wild and would have got ruined in by the light.

I may keep my mothers in soil does any one have some pros and cons about mothering in either? Please no soil vs hydro war just some pros and cons for mother plants only! As I said I cant water a simple house plant or I would just stick to soil. I like wick methods so I don’t mess them up I tried these pop bottle tips for my soil grow I think I’m really messing that up as well I just can water plants! If I do a hydro system for my mothers it will probably be a 5 gallon bucket bubbler or something just for the 3-4 mother plants.

Right now I have 13 clones I will keep the 3-4 mothers and put the rest into the cycle I have never had a mother, how do I treat her? Full strength grow nutes? 24/7 light? Treat them like my clones? If I do them in soil either 5 or 8 gallon nursery pots I have both let me know what you would use how long do they last and live do I need the big pot? they are still under 400w metal halide I may switch to floros thoug I need 9 clones a month for a 9 plant a month cycle crop so how many mothers do I need?

This is still bag seed but after talking to my friend he swore it wasn’t kush it was bubble gum and reading up it just may be as I remember the smoke and did have some samples when I cloned I ended up with some flowers last week since I cloned so late and it very good one bowl did a nice job now I cant wait for the final product so this is a product worth wile its not just some dirt bag seed after all it turns out one of the plants is worthy of all this trouble lol.

So please send out the troops I need help with my mothers I have no direction at all thanks every one

Here are some shots of the clones some on asked for pic on my other journal I didn't think any one was still interested or looking but here you go, I took the smallest and slowest to grow the others are too rooty and I dont want to mess up the roots too bad and put them in shock

heres the clones in plastic cups
clones23.jpg

heres just one I will open up so u can see the roots
clone15.jpg

heres a shot of them grwoing out of the cup
grwoingoutofcup.jpg

and finaly a shot of the roots
roots6.jpg

How did this grow turn out?
We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom