Soil too hard for seedling?

RagnarLothbrok

hey I have a few plants going atm and I have a different potting mix then I used last time its soft and nice but once i put the seed in and started watering g the soil it looks and feels kinda hard

like the water packed it down I'm just wondering if the seedling will sprout even if it's a bit hard as long as it has water
or should i replant it? already had the taproot sitting out when planted

Unless you sat there and compacted it you should be fine. Just watch it for a few days and be patient. After a few years sometimes I find myself doing the same. I think damn is it too deep or is the soil too hard. Then after a few days she is popping out. What do you mean the tap root sitting out? I usually bury it my finger nail length deep sometimes a little less.

Unless you sat there and compacted it you should be fine. Just watch it for a few days and be patient. After a few years sometimes I find myself doing the same. I think damn is it too deep or is the soil too hard. Then after a few days she is popping out. What do you mean the tap root sitting out? I usually bury it my finger nail length deep sometimes a little less.
sorry was rushing when I was typing that.
i meant the seed was germinated with the taproot showing from the husk of the seed.

and yeah i just filled it up with soil used my finger in small rotations to make a hole in the centre I planted the seed and covered up then I watered it.

after watering I noticed a good chunk of the soil was gone so I just put a tiny bit of loose layer over top gave it a couple squirts with a spray bottle and left it
this is the 2nd day it's been planted
still no sign of anything sprouting

the top of the soil feels hard to the touch but you can tell its wet
almost feels like it was packed down but it wasnt it was only watered

could just be paranoid but most times I do have a sprout after the first day of planting
although most time I wait for a huge taproot before planting
this one was abit smaller but was big enough probs half an inch out of the seed.

just asking because top feels hard and most times I have a sprout rn I wasnt sure if I should replant it in different soil or just keep waiting
I don't really wanna dig it up and replant it though I'm sure it will sprout just taking longer then usual for ne

I had a friend who was worried about the same thing. I told him to careful remove the top layer to see the shell seed. He did and sure enough it was sprouting that was after a few days. I keep mine close to the light also just to keep my soil warm. When I water to prevent that crater I use ph'd water in a sprayer to feed or put my fingers of the gallon jug and let it break the water up to lightly sprinkle it around.

I had a friend who was worried about the same thing. I told him to careful remove the top lay to see the shell seed. He did and sure enough it was sprouting that was after a few days. I keep mine close to the light also just to keep my soil warm. When I water to prevent that crater I use ph'd water in a sprayer to feed or put my fingers of the gallon jug and let it break the water up to lightly sprinkle it around.
okay,.. I always use distilled water when starting my seeds, I have a distiller on tap here so I get distilled water whenever I need.
I can try that I'm using a different potting mix soil I used last time to which was also why k was concerned but potting soil is potting soil.

so your saying I should water it down slowly and try to find the top of the seed?

I also think the seed probably shifted as it did overflow once the other day.

if so I'm gonna wait for the soil to dry out abit more before watering down and looking for the seed if that's what you suggest.

also usually I keep it under a lamp too but my solarium gets lots of sun throughout the day I decided to put it in ther, first day was sunny but the last couple of days have been kinda gloomy out but still light coming in compared to the night time darknesss

Just keep her warm with light. Especially if it's gloomy don't risk molds if it gets too dark and gloomy.
wet or dry as long as you are careful and trying to uncover it. I slowly move my finger back and forth in a sweeping uncovering the top but. You might just be best giving it a bit just in case. Usually if it goes to day 4 or 5 even I check. I was saying how I water to prevent the seed from being pushed in and preventing a crater in the soil.

Again though the if you didn't bury it too deep just leave. Be patient.

Sounds good I have a seedling heating mat but not using it, temp is 72 F In my house and when the sun does come in the solarium it heats up to probably around 80 in some sunny spots.

just sun hasn't been out yesterday was cloudy and windy and today I was warm but rainy atm.

expecting sun tomorrow I'll just keep an eye on it if I don't see anything on Sunday I might try to uncover it

72 f for me in the past seemed just a bit too cold and causing some slow grow but If I can't put it close to my veg LIghts. I take a fluorescent light the spiral ones and keep my seed right under it with the light 3 inches and I watch the soil so it doesn't dry. They sprout after that faster.

I have a lamp in my room I could put it under and use the seedling heat matt, I don't have a temp gauge for that matt so not to sure what it heats too

also I figured if the house is at 72 and the sun shines into my sun room or solarium then that heats up to about 8 and that's perfect for the plant
especially cause I plan on putting this one outdoors eventually in about a month

Heck yea! I hope to see that outdoor gonna get crazy big compared to indoor!:goof: Seen a guy online do a scrog over is outdoors cannabis and they were monsters. Good luck!

Heck yea! I hope to see that outdoor gonna get crazy big compared to indoor!:goof: Seen a guy online do a scrog over is outdoors cannabis and they were monsters. Good luck!
aha thanks bro also you think I should put under my lamp or leave in the sun room for a few more days

You could never go wrong with sun but to me only if the cotyledons or other leaves are showing. If it was me a light. Just because you can get it close and know for sure it is getting proper light and staying warm. Helps with the seedling not stretching too much also.

True fair enough, Thanks for the advice fam appreciate you guys
hopefully it's just needing more time like I said all my plant usually sprout after the first night or two but I know it takes days for other people I'm just use to it happening right away

I usually stretch my germination period out so I have long as tap roots like at least the size of my dick but this time I just threw it in the pot when I saw a taproot showing was about half an inch to an inch long

Did the same use to let mine get 1/2inch to maybe 3/4inch then plant. lately about 1/4 inch now that you mention it and that's when I would dig them up haha. you taught me something thanks man. Take care!

I'll let you know how it turns out in the next couple days and yeah I've had my tap root at 5 inches once just fully extended the length of the paper towel
I actually forgot about the seeds germinating for about a week in my cold room in pitch darkness but they germinated great ahah

Let it grow - you cant do anything now anyway cept over water.

Too much water and heavy soil is hard for any plant but cannabis is pretty hardy weed.

If she cant deal with hard soil, she aint worthy.

Maybe I should start my seedlings in heavy soil, the plants that make it thru are worthy.

Wood help to cut thru runts.

hey guys i wanted to share an update. i realized with my organic super soil i should not have been feeding her ph adjusted distilled water with my fox farm big bloom and cal mag. it already had all those things in it. all the research i find says i should not water my super soil with distilled water. if not distilled what should i use??

At a hardware store you can buy a small setup for a sink. If you have experience in the labor field it's not bad to do. If you don't just watch videos still not bad. Another option you can go to a water and ice store and buy RO water. I would buy a few 5 gallons and a small pump for it. How I did it in the past.

The RO systems will save you money though in the long run.

hey guys i wanted to share an update. i realized with my organic super soil i should not have been feeding her ph adjusted distilled water with my fox farm big bloom and cal mag. it already had all those things in it. all the research i find says i should not water my super soil with distilled water. if not distilled what should i use??
Yea, when I ran super soils I just ran RO water with it in feedings . I found depending on the soil I did have to add a tad of Cal/MAG. Be careful with super soil and seedling you don't want to burn or kill it. I personally buy a brand with a lower amount of nutes and use that for seedlings or clones to see how they react and prevent burning.

Back
Top Bottom