Some advise.

Masterkush

Hello everyone.
Am new to the site and glad to be apart of the 420 community. So.... I've been reading through the grow/guidelines forums and my head is spinning. Basicly what am asking is for the basic instructions for a first time grower needs. (am starting off with a clone)

I'll tell you what I have so far.

I've got the input adapter - 120 volts~60Hertz~23watts~output 12 volts DC 800 mega amps for the fan adapter.

Question: What size should the fan be? and how many is needed?

Question: am buildin a grow box, what length and width size should it be? and should I use cardboard ~ wood ~ or plastic board?

Question: I'm going to purchase a clone from the dispencary on my next visit. What pot size should i make the transplant too? how much water per day? what soil or mixture should I use?

Question: Lighting - What type and size light i need? how close should it be to the plant, and what temp should the grow box be?

Thannk you in advance for your help.
Help this newb grow :grinjoint:

Instead of trying to construct a grow box, y not try a tent set up. Or if U don't want to invest much consider cleaning out a cabinet, closet, armoire. old refrigerator/freezer and rigging it up to ur liking. To keep it simple maybe some CFLs for affordable lighting for a first grow. What's ur budget like? As far as pot size, it depends. U using soil? How long do u plan on keeping the plants in the pots? If ur bent on a building a grow box are there any size/space restrictions? Fans well for starters u'll need at least one oscillating fan. Give us some more needed info and we'll c what we can come up with.

Am going to give the closet idea a GO!.
I measured my Closet size 5-7 feet wide, and 24" in depth. The size restriction would be maybe for 16 inch single plant or 2. (maybe 25 -30 grams in one plant?) and budget 200, 300 or so -- am willing to go all out for my babies for when they come home, am thinking the closet is the way to go.

MK,
Do yourself a huge favor. Before you buy a clone or any gear spend some time reading on this site. Check out the FAQ's, How To's, etc. Get a basic understanding of what you need to do before you start. Once you have a handle on that you will have a good idea of the gear you need. Then buy your gear and get your closet setup and running. Once you closet is running and you know your temps are good go pick up your clones. Without that ground work there is a very good chance your clones will not make it or be very light producers. Read some grow journals. I am on my first grow now. Seeds went in the dirt on 10/20. Check out my grow for an idea of what you face. Growing cannabis is fairly easy as long as you know the basics.

Exactly screwnuts33 been doing my homework and reading up on different journals. Everyone has there own unique way of doings things. Basicly I just have to find where I fall into, either outdoor, indoor seeds, strains, soil, feeding ect.
Am thinking about starting my own journal here just so I can be mentored along the growing process.

1st Run

Am going to give the closet idea a GO!.
I measured my Closet size 5-7 feet wide, and 24" in depth. The size restriction would be maybe for 16 inch single plant or 2. (maybe 25 -30 grams in one plant?) and budget 200, 300 or so -- am willing to go all out for my babies for when they come home, am thinking the closet is the way to go.

Great. 1st things 1st clean the hell outa that closet b4 u do anything. If u've already determined ur method of growing (soil, soiless, hydro) then figure out how u want to situate everything. Keep in mind spacing ur pots far enough to give the plants room to grow out without growing into each other. Next I'd say deal with clones if u have access to them. Stick with 2 strains MAX 1st time out. One would be better but I know how it is to be an anxious new grower. How tall is ur closet? This is the most important dimension and it was left out. What type of nutes u gonna go with? I'd start with a 3 part (micro ,grow, and bloom), General Hydroponics looks pretty affordable and I know of quite a few people that use it. If u don't feel like mixing and measuring all these nutrients then U may wanna look into Dyna Grow products, there's no mixing I'm told. Dyna-Grow is good for the grower on a budget. Stay away from miracle grow soils and fertilizers if it can be avoided. U will also need a thermometer/hydrometer, a PH tester is desirable and will save u time and head aches. What type of lighting u plan to go with? Get some decent sized pots (the larger the pot the larger the plant generally). Next think media. What are u gonna plant them in? Fox Farms Ocean Forrest is a good place to start I think. I've heard mixed reviews, but have had good experiences with it. I've used a few brands of soil. That's what I got for u for now. Think about it, lemme know what u think and if I missed anything I'm sure some1 will chime in and say so. One more thing, invest in a bottle of neem oil. Always good to have some on hand. Good luck. I'm excited for u. :peace:

Am excited asswell........... The closet is clean/buffed/waxed and ready to go hehe... am making a list of the supplies I will be purchasing online. First of the lighting 250 watt HPS system, would that be too much light for 1 - 2 clones to start of with? 250 Watt HPS Systems, Organic Hydroponic Nutrients, Indoor Grow Lights and Supplies - Hydroempire
Also didn't realize that the pH testers were so expensive, am gonna hold off on that one for now. lowest price on online was about 100 bucks.

Now you mentioned Media??, Fox Farms Ocean Forrest?? (forgive this newb hehe) is that another brand of soil?

Also am getting bubba kush clone and bannana OG kush, is there a different method of raising my two babies? different soil? diff lighting? feeding, ect...

Fox Farm is the brand, Ocean Forrest is a particular soil mix that they sell. It has worm castings (shit), guano (shit), and all other sorts of good stuff. They have a nute line as well. 250W is fine for 2 clones. Remember they will grow way larger that they are now. Miwaukee makes cheap models. Heard some good reviews here, bad reviews from a retailer. It will however save u a little trouble and headache.

The PH pen style of testers run about $25-$40 and are well worth the money. Poor PH will lead to a multitude of other problems. Fox Farms Ocean Forest is a very popular grow medium. I am using it and so far it is working well. Mix in about 15%-25% pearlite into the soil before planting. It will help with drainage. The soil contains enough nutes for the first 2-3 weeks of growing. When buying a light setup look into a switchable digital/electronic balast. That way you can use a MH bulb to veg and them swap the HPS bulb for flower. Since you are doing clones and know you will have all females look at starting them in the pots you plan to finish with. That way you don't have to transplant. It will take more water to maintain them but no chance of transplant shock.

MK,
Do yourself a huge favor. Before you buy a clone or any gear spend some time reading on this site. Check out the FAQ's, How To's, etc. Get a basic understanding of what you need to do before you start. Once you have a handle on that you will have a good idea of the gear you need. Then buy your gear and get your closet setup and running. Once you closet is running and you know your temps are good go pick up your clones. Without that ground work there is a very good chance your clones will not make it or be very light producers. Read some grow journals. I am on my first grow now. Seeds went in the dirt on 10/20. Check out my grow for an idea of what you face. Growing cannabis is fairly easy as long as you know the basics.

+1
thats what iam doing...

:smokin:

The PH pen style of testers run about $25-$40
What brand and where? U got a link?
Since you are doing clones and know you will have all females look at starting them in the pots you plan to finish with.
This can be problematic if u don't know what ur doing. Over watering a large pot with a small cutting with a small root system can open the door to a myriad of problems (fungus gnats, fungus, root rot, etc). If this is ur 1st time I suggest read a few first timer's journal and seeing what the common mistakes are and what works.

That way you don't have to transplant. It will take more water to maintain them but no chance of transplant shock.

More water to maintain what when? If he puts a clone in a large pot and over waters, there's a good chance of thwarting ur own grow. Start small, in small containers and transplant. In soil it hard to mess up a transplant in my opinion. Transplanting is something u will have to do if growing in soil at some point in time or another and its easy. It also allows the growers to periodically examine the root ball to see if the roots are rotting or possibly be root bound. Just be sure to water with str8, PHed water with 5-10ml of B-1 (depending what product u use) to help with transplant shock. Most of this info is what I learned along the way meaning I've seen the problem, recognized why it was a problem, and corrected it. Use what U can and good luck MasterKush.

This can be problematic if u don't know what ur doing. Over watering a large pot with a small cutting with a small root system can open the door to a myriad of problems (fungus gnats, fungus, root rot, etc). If this is ur 1st time I suggest read a few first timer's journal and seeing what the common mistakes are and what works.

More water to maintain what when? If he puts a clone in a large pot and over waters, there's a good chance of thwarting ur own grow. Start small, in small containers and transplant. In soil it hard to mess up a transplant in my opinion. Transplanting is something u will have to do if growing in soil at some point in time or another and its easy. It also allows the growers to periodically examine the root ball to see if the roots are rotting or possibly be root bound. Just be sure to water with str8, PHed water with 5-10ml of B-1 (depending what product u use) to help with transplant shock. Most of this info is what I learned along the way meaning I've seen the problem, recognized why it was a problem, and corrected it. Use what U can and good luck MasterKush.

BWC has some very valid points here. Regarding PH meters, Ebay. Pricing ranges from $10 to big bucks. Here is meter I bought, Accurate PH 2 Digital pH Meter - Hydroponics HPS - eBay (item 350269866625 end time Nov-24-09 09:theband:46 PST)

My comment regarding extra water comes from that it takes more water to moisten 5-gallons of soil than it does a 1/2 gallon. BWC is correct that it is very easy to over water young plants.

looks like you have a good start and some great members helping, you shouldn't have much problems :rollit:

I got 2 to 4 weeks till my lighting arrives... But am so hype'd up I want to head down to home depot and buy some spares just to get started.
But I will be keeping a journal... am gonna post up the pic's soon as the babies get home, from start to finish, it will be called "When growing pot goes wrong" hehe no, but... really am sure I got the Dr. Green thumb in me. :yummy:

Damn.. good points

Back
Top Bottom