EarthFireGardens 288 Watt LED Light - Munki's Experience

073110-pic6.JPG

I'm very curious about the LED's each being set in their own little reflector.

Are the LED's proprietary to that design?

How does it affect focus and intensity, and what's the lens angle on this panel?

Each LED has its own lens. It isn't secured to the LED but instead is held between the outside frame and inside module frames which holds them just above the surface mounted LED modules. I've been told that this lamp is outfitted with 120 degree lenses. I'm working something out to get the narrower focusing lenses like 60 degree to increase penetration.

The present design of this unit really lends itself to the hobbyist as it is really easy to get into it and set it up to your liking provided you have the parts. No plastic snap together parts here that often break when disassembled; it is mostly metal and screws.

If one was so inclined, the unit could be MacGyver'ed into 6 separate, 48 watt units.

Munki, If I'm correct don't these have a mix of angles like some 60 some 90 and some 120 ? I'm pretty sure thats what their web site says ! Maybe check with Builder , I'll drop him a pm later...

Munki, If I'm correct don't these have a mix of angles like some 60 some 90 and some 120 ? I'm pretty sure thats what their web site says ! Maybe check with Builder , I'll drop him a pm later...

It is what I heard from Aleeya. I think the one I have had the wrong set of lenses installed or they were out of the 60 degree lenses so installed all 120 degree ones. No matter; when the correct ones come in, she will get me what I need. The light is working well for my plants. Everyone please come on by and see them at The Munki's Playground. I would love the extra traffic (I update daily with pics!)

The Munki's Playground

I had posted a video on vimeo.com but I couldn't get the video to embed so now I reloaded it to youtube.

YouTube - ‪MVI_0089.AVI‬‎

Sorry about the noise and shaking. That is from when I set the camera down on the cheap tripod.

Each LED has its own lens. It isn't secured to the LED but instead is held between the outside frame and inside module frames which holds them just above the surface mounted LED modules. I've been told that this lamp is outfitted with 120 degree lenses. I'm working something out to get the narrower focusing lenses like 60 degree to increase penetration.

The present design of this unit really lends itself to the hobbyist as it is really easy to get into it and set it up to your liking provided you have the parts. No plastic snap together parts here that often break when disassembled; it is mostly metal and screws.

If one was so inclined, the unit could be MacGyver'ed into 6 separate, 48 watt units.

thanks for the info Munki!

That modular aspect is very interesting. If a light was actually designed to be easily modular so you could spread the modules out and increase coverage as plants grow, that would be extremely cool, but it might only appeal to growers like us who like to get into the tech more than most.

There were questions about the individual lenses. Here are some pics.

101310-pic2.JPG
101310-pic1.JPG

Back
Top Bottom