The Munki's Playground

Welcome to my playground ... a space for my mini grow experiments and general musings. Feel free to share your 2 cents here; obviously I'll tolerate an amount of monkey business! ;)

I have been busy acquiring various pieces of growing equipment lately. I'll go over everything I've picked up later, but lets just say I have a tough time passing on a good deal!

I have had a goal to work with seed germination in the search for my own mothers to work from. Method selected was to use hempy buckets. I tried an initial seed germination in rockwool but I think it was too wet as the seeds appeared to have drowned when I checked them 9 days later. Discouraged, but with some advice from Doc Bud, I started again with three random bag seeds I had acquired over the past year. What follows is my log from seed soak...

7-7-10: 3 Seeds were placed into their Solo cups at 7 AM. They were pre-soaked for the previous 19 hours. Stored in the dark and warmth above heater.

7-8-10: Blueberry Wowie seed broke the surface today! Pictures taken. All three cups watered with a drop of SuperThrive. Back into the dark above heater. Will place under T5 lights tomorrow night. Checked the seeds in the cubes and all were dead. Sowed the dead seeds into outside garden for slim chance they are alive.

7-9-10: At 8 AM, all 3 seeds have now broken the surface of the soil. The cups were placed under the T5 lighting.

Pics to soon follow. :thanks: for stopping by the Munki Playground!

Blueberry Wowie sounds like a great strain! I will be following along with this one. Can't wait to see pics!
GL!!

:peacetwo:

Here are those pics. The cups are hempy style with a hole poked around one inch above the bottom. Pure chunky perlite fills the cup with Fox Farms Ocean Forest covering the top 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Just enough to get the seeds started. I water by dunking the cups in a larger cup that has filtered tap water with a drop of superthrive, then let the water drain back out. Now that they are getting started, I will let the cups dry some for a few days so the roots seek the bottom.

070810-pic1.JPG

070810-pic2.JPG

The new Nursery. It has a 2 foot, 4 tube T5 light array.

070910-pic3.JPG

070910-pic4.JPG

Just two days later, all are popped and showing small true leaves.

071110-pic5.JPG

071110-pic6.JPG

071110-pic7.JPG

071110-pic8.JPG

Thanks for your welcome-message on The Butcher's grow-journal. Best believe I'll be following THIS one as well to get all the info I can sponge up before MY first grow. Good luck!

Thanks for your welcome-message on The Butcher's grow-journal. Best believe I'll be following THIS one as well to get all the info I can sponge up before MY first grow. Good luck!

Well then, welcome to The Playground, KhanVict!

Pic update. The little ones are now 3 days old. Lights have been on 24/0 but will be going to 18/6 starting tomorrow afternoon. Lights will be off in the afternoon as that is when it is hottest and electricity cost the most. We have a smart electrical meter now; hoping that with proper scheduling, I can get some cost savings.

I also added a small fan inside the tent to keep the air moving. The temp probe on the soil top read in the low 90s with the tent air being in the low 80s. Pics don't show the fan but will in future pictures.

071210-pic1.JPG

071210-pic2.JPG

071210-pic3.JPG

071210-pic4.JPG

Blueberry wowie.....oh my.

I reckon that one's gonna be a winner.

It was a good smoke for sure but all three were. The Blueberry Wowie has been the most vigorous with being the first to crack the seed shell, first to break soil, and first to shed the seed pod. Probably will turn out to be male, but I'm always hopeful for ladies ;).

Males? great for making some F2s!
I love pheno hunts. :grinjoint:

If I only had the space to properly do this ...

Maybe one day, though I could capture pollen as practice!

Thanks JFizz.

I decided to give the Satori another go, so I dropped 5 seeds into a pre-soak. Something I got from a hydro shop to try on a recommendation. It is called Sensa-Soak from Plantastic Plant Products.

071310-pic1.JPG

071310-pic2.JPG

Cool stuff man

Read a little article about mandala seeds...they seem cool.

Guess ill see if there seeds are "cool"

Good luck, I'll be around. :Rasta::peace:

Thanks, thefeast.

Other growers have had good experiences with Mandala Seeds. I started a thread on the Satori Strain last year and growers have shared their results there. Check it out.

Mandala Seeds Satori Strain

The Sensa Soak's primary active ingredient is apparently "ethylene".

Ethylene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is some interesting reading on this topic. The claim by Sensa Soak is that the ethylene will increase the female to male ratio of regular seeds. There is a thread here at 420 Magazine that covers the topic and how to do a "poor man's" treatment of ethylene.

Using bananas to feminise your seeds.

Soak completed after 22 hours. 5 new cups prepared and seeds dropped in at 7 PM. Before seeds were put in, the soil needed to get zapped to help resist introducing pests so I microwaved each cup for 20 seconds and then let them cool. Soil steamed for a while. After seeds were planted, they were transferred to the light tent immediately after. Did not put them back into darkness this time and wait for a seedling to break the surface like with the other 3 seeds.

Cups are mostly perlite

071410-pic1.JPG

Then topped with Fox Farms Ocean Forest. Had this bag in the garage for a year now but was closed until very recently.

071410-pic2.JPG

All cups together now.

071410-pic3.JPG

The first 3 are now 5 days old.

071410-pic4.JPG

Back
Top Bottom