Munki's 576 Watt LED & Hempy Style Flower Power

Get yourself one or more of these,
DissicationJar.JPG
fill the bottom with rice, don't jar the buds until they snap off the stix and the stem that attached them has shrunk and is no longer green [unlike this pic, these were test runs and small buds].
b

Great grow Munki and an excellent journal - I learned a great deal!

:welldone:

bmarduk - What is that glass thing called and where can you get one?

:bigtoke:

Good grow brother. :welldone:

I assume that there is still some more curing yet, but you shouldnt lose too much more weight? I chopped my last ones a few weeks ago and it is still curing. It tasted okay after dry, but now they have no bud flavor and doenst taste good when smoked. Its been almost 2 wks in jars after the dry. Maybe its just the strain that needs longer cure.

That or I just suck at curing. I manicure everything as I harvest it. Then I hang them in rubbermaid tub with fan for 5-6 days then chop most of the stems off and jar it for a few weeks. Usually its okay after dry, then gets better the longer it cures. Im thinking that maybe it was the fan in the bin that locked in the chlorophyll.

The reason I brought that up was because you said your master kush still has a lot of chlorophyll. I am pretty sure that master kush is a mostly hindu kush strain, so I thought maybe the cure would be similar. Thought I would ask you since yours look great.

Other than the fact that it is a precision-ground hermetically sealed jar with a built-in desiccant chamber and perforated porcelain separator which has the option to be evacuated, and about $400+, nothing.

You made me smile bmarduk! :grinjoint:

Taxx, I've made a desiccation container before. Many kinds of Tupperware like containers will work. I put a 1/2 inch square mesh into one with Calcium Cloride at the bottom and got crispy dry organic material in a couple of days. Works best if the material to be desiccated has been dried in the air previously. The desiccant gets out the last bits of moisture. I haven't used rice before, but it is widely available, so definitely worth a shot.

Good grow brother. :welldone:

I assume that there is still some more curing yet, but you shouldnt lose too much more weight? I chopped my last ones a few weeks ago and it is still curing. It tasted okay after dry, but now they have no bud flavor and doenst taste good when smoked. Its been almost 2 wks in jars after the dry. Maybe its just the strain that needs longer cure.

That or I just suck at curing. I manicure everything as I harvest it. Then I hang them in rubbermaid tub with fan for 5-6 days then chop most of the stems off and jar it for a few weeks. Usually its okay after dry, then gets better the longer it cures. Im thinking that maybe it was the fan in the bin that locked in the chlorophyll.

The reason I brought that up was because you said your master kush still has a lot of chlorophyll. I am pretty sure that master kush is a mostly hindu kush strain, so I thought maybe the cure would be similar. Thought I would ask you since yours look great.

If the buds are really dry when going into the jars, they don't seem to kick into a cure process. Using some orange peel slices has worked well to add back the bit of moisture back. I recommend that you use a whole orange and scrub the outside with soap, water, and a scrub brush to get out any bad growth or spores, then cut off some slices of the peel and toss in. Move the peel around for a couple of days then remove them.

All the buds are now smoking OK. Cure will continue, but I've been enjoying the meds! :tokin:

They all look dank, especially the master and ogre. :welldone:

I can't wait for my first harvest..everytime I see those mason jars filled up it really gets me all sorts of excited.

:peace:

Marley

This is everything a grow journal (and grow) should be! Thank you for sharing the knowledge.

nice harvest munki looks dank

Beautiful harvest Munki!

Congratulations on a good looking harvest :welldone:

Great grow Munki and an excellent journal - I learned a great deal!

:welldone:

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate y'all following along and sharing your comments; means a lot. Been busy with other things in my life, so I haven't been here as much as I would like.

congrats on the harvest bro, hope in a week or so mine will be in the jars once dried and i can be smoking like you. your buds look killer my friend. enjoy:nicethread:

Thanks IrishBoy. You finally got that epic crop in, congrats! I'll have to stop by your journal. For anyone who hasn't seen it, check out IB's grow. Awe inspiring.

1080w LED Inferno

I'm currently growing sharksbreath, if you have any words of wisdom, you can make me smile.

b

bmarduk - I found Sharksbreath to be nute sensitive - only had one seed with which to judge, but I found that it is the MOST nute sensitive strain in my current grow.

:goodluck:

As in easily burned or really needy? I don't understand what you mean bysensitive. DNA sez it's a heavy eater, but I'm a soil builder, not a plant feeder [unless I the girlies demand it] and it seems to be anything but a heavy eater. This strain burns in soil that is optimal for my other strains but grows [or eats it way] out of it.
SharkBud.jpg

Note the slight burn from too much to eat.

b

She looks great (slight burn at the fan tips) - I planted mine in 2-1 (2 parts FF Ocean Forest to 1 part FF Light Warrior) - WAY too much for the plant! Especially since I added organic nutes from the Roots Organics line - practically killed the plant. Now I know better - my guess is I could have gone all the way thru veg and into part of the bloom before it needed any nutes.

Live a learn.

:tokin:

If the buds are really dry when going into the jars, they don't seem to kick into a cure process. Using some orange peel slices has worked well to add back the bit of moisture back. I recommend that you use a whole orange and scrub the outside with soap, water, and a scrub brush to get out any bad growth or spores, then cut off some slices of the peel and toss in. Move the peel around for a couple of days then remove them.

All the buds are now smoking OK. Cure will continue, but I've been enjoying the meds! :tokin:

Thanks for the input Munki, I am aspiring to have grows that look like yours brother. Your shit always looks killer. I am talking to my dads friends that are growers, checking out people w/ great grows on here, watching videos, and reading more books now than when I was in college. I am thinking that another round or two and I should have a killer process. Then it will be time to start experimenting to try to make it even better.

As for my harvest, I read this way late, and had snipped off a few stems while cutting clones and threw those into the jar. I left them in there overnight, and then took them out. It has helped a little. Like I said, I had a fan directly on them during dry, plus cut them a little early. I am being more careful this time. No fan on them and will wait to cut them until I have 30%-40% amber trichs.

I appreciate your feedback and wanted to say again, awesome grow brother.

I build my soil so that it will run out of nutes during the end of flowering. If done perfectly, the fans are cannibalized for nutes during the last 1/3 of flower.

I want to stick with organic
b

bmarduk - So with your soil mix you go all the way thru veg and into bloom with no additional nutes at all? Can you share your soil recipe or point to a tread that has it? Thanks

:peacetwo:

I build my soil so that it will run out of nutes during the end of flowering. If done perfectly, the fans are cannibalized for nutes during the last 1/3 of flower.
LastDay.jpg

As you can see from the the above picture, this mix was fine for the blue odyssey but as you can also see from the sharksbreath, the leaves are still deep green and slightly tip burned. I'm about 3 weeks before chop and will flush these, something that I don't normally have [or want] to do.

The jar will fix the green taste from too much N at the end if flushing isn't enuff.:popcorn:

Thanx for the input,:smokin:

b
I like how you roll B...

Much respect...and Go Green.

I never said that "I want to stick with organic" [although, that is how I grow.] Building soil requires access [which I have] to cheap, bulk materials and is a waste of time unless you build and use a bunch at a time. For smaller scale use commercial, I like [and use] Sunland Organic, it's already built and enriched with good stuff. To build my own I use redwood compost, oak leaf mold, powdered rock [volcanic is my fav] any other fully composted wood [no big hunks] that won't drop the pH, Gro Power+ for humic acid, microcritters, et al., gypsum to adjust the pH if necessary [depends on what type of wood is used.] I don't use peat or sphagnum moss as these are acidic. Organics provide nitrogen, minerals and micros in the rock dust and GP+. pH the water every time that you water to release the nutes and you're good to go. If the plant show signs of deficiency, you can topdress with the GP+, but the trick is to build the soil with just enough nutes to run out right at the end, and this will vary by strain. The buds will pull nutes out of the surrounding leaves during the last trimester of flower, and will taste much better than if the leaves have too much nitrogen at the end. It's kinda like docking a sailboat, you want just enough momentum to get to the dock without overshooting or falling short. Takes practice.

Mandala Seeds has wonderful FAQs that cover everything about growing and curing and I highly recommend reading all of them, especially their soil recommendations, as it will save a thousand ???????s. I'd put a link in for you but the powers that b would delete it as Mandala doesn't pay rent here.

b

Thanks for the Mandala tip - very helpful!

:thanks:

Thanks everyone for your participation and following of this journal. Going to have it moved to completed journal forum. I'm not actively growing at the moment, but who knows what 2011 will bring?

:ciao: for now!

Can't stop growing, it violates all kinds of rules.

b

Oh a temporary condition. One less thing to worry about during the holidays and nice to have a cheap electric bill for a change!

Thanks for this, Munki :nicethread: I learned tons, as I venture forth into my adventures with coco, hempy buckets and LEDs.

I've been reading LED and coco threads here like mad the past few days, and think I've got enough accrued knowledge to pull it off.

You, Irish Boy, Doc and SS have been nothing short of inspiring!

Thanks for this, Munki :nicethread: I learned tons, as I venture forth into my adventures with coco, hempy buckets and LEDs.

I've been reading LED and coco threads here like mad the past few days, and think I've got enough accrued knowledge to pull it off.

You, Irish Boy, Doc and SS have been nothing short of inspiring!

Wow, thank you Zombo. I am honored to be held in such high company and am glad my journal has been helpful to you. That was my primary goal. Best of luck to your hempy adventures.

Friggin outstanding job, Munki and way to go with the leds!! Great journal!!

:thanks: lbez!

Back
Top Bottom